Changes V Cats | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes V Cats

Let history record that it was pointed out before the game. :p

Suggests Geelong's support cast is not that good.

So am I reading this right, when they have less than a year and a halfs experience gap on the opposition they have only won against the teams in 16th and 17th?

Wow, thats a damning stat on them.

So am I reading this right, when they have less than a year and a halfs experience gap on the opposition they have only won against the teams in 16th and 17th?

Wow, thats a damning stat on them.

Here's the full list.

Age DiffOppRoundResult
+3.42St.K11W
+3.32G.C.5W
+2.20W.B.14W
+2.09Melb4W
+1.83Carl3L
+1.82Adel13W
+1.69Ess16W
+1.54Bris6W
+1.53Frem8W
+1.51P.A.12W
+1.40Coll7L
+1.22GWS1L
+1.12N.M.10W
+0.43Rich17L
+0.39W.C.9L
-0.63Haw2W

It's a bit unusual for a good older team to be vulnerable at the lower end like that, while still holding an advantage. Suggests the veterans are essential to them performing well and the next generation aren't yet pulling their weight.

FWIW I plugged the data into a stats app and came up with the following formula for the likelihood of the older team winning (yes it's a straight line):

average win % = 49.68 + (7.85 x age difference in years)

So a team one year older wins 49.68 + (7.85 x 1.00) = 57.5% of the time. Over a period, if a team's win % exceeds this calculation then you can say they're above average for an older team. Below this line indicates below average and needing an injection of young talent. You can subtract the % from 100 and apply it to younger teams also.

Bear in mind this reflects the average of good and bad older teams. If a older team is only meeting this average and not exceeding it by a good margin, it suggests their future is limited.

e.g. Over the past four seasons, Hawthorn has recorded the following performance in relation to the average:

2017 -18.3% (13th)
2018 +15.5% (7th)
2019 -14.8% (13th)
2020 -55.0% (17th)

The last figure is dire. Of course, negative figures can be exaggerated by tanking...