Changes v GWS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v GWS

Seems Dimma doesn’t want him As we’re crying out for another ruck/forward to give Nank a break and provide a marking option in our forward line but CCJ still can’t get a game
He had more than enough good reason to include him against Geelong. He could have found room easily based on our last few weeks.
He is either hiding him from other suitors or something else is going on.

Reactions: 1 user
Be a tough week for the MC , a lot of the boys had poor games, however with no VFL impossible for the Kids to put in a claim .
Grimes in and Shedda out is the only locks I’d say

The one thing I’d like too see is take this opportunity to give some genuine midfield time to the likes of Ross, RCD, Dow an Martyn , definitely be having Bakes start in a few centre bounces

Last edited:
In Grimes, Naish,
Out Edwards (inj), Castagna,

Don't think CCJ will come in as the Giants have no rucks but if he does Mansell may go out.
Ross was pretty good in the first half then had a horror 2nd half
Agree can't see CCJ coming in. Our midfield was a huge issue and dropping a mid for a ruck doesn't solve that. I have no idea what we'll do other than Grimes in and Edwards out is a certainty. Might be time to start looking at Stack as an option. Think I'd like him above all of Castagna, Rioli, Aarts atm.

I’ve often said that Sellwood is a fantastic player, one of the best over a long period of time. It’s just a shame he will be remembered for his deliberate ducking because it is a blight on his game
AFL/umps could have easily put this to bed a long time ago. Drop the shoulder to force opponent's arm to go up around the neck, no free play on. Selwood is a master at this and if you get away with it you'll get away with it. Best I saw at doing this at the Tigers was Miles.

Worrying signs in a number of matches this year. IMO team selections over the coming few weeks (subject to injuries) will indicate where the match committee see where we are at this season. Continuing to select the long term out of form players such as Castagna Rioli etc (unlikely to get any better) would indicate to me that this is last role of the dice for a flag with the current squad. If Caddy gets selected again would only reinforce that view. Further we have a large number of long time star players who are on the slide and this could happen very quickly as most are now very injury prone. Even allowing for the lost year last year it also indicates little confidence that the younger brigade in the VFL are going to make it. This may mean Balmey may have to make some brutal list decisions at the end of the year depending on where we finish. Long team question marks even turn on my grandsons favourite player Prestia (I know he is under contract) given him being very injury prone and averaging around 10 games max a season. An important player we can carry if in flag contention but a luxury if we suddenly become a bottom 8 contender. Love to be proven wrong however the difference when we turn up to play and when we don't is strikingly different to previous seasons.
I agree this year is our last roll at the dice. This time next year, Houli is 34, Edwards is 33, Reiwoldt 33, Cotchin 31, Astbury 31, Dusty 30, Grimes 30, Lambert 30, Pickett 30, Caddy 29, Prestia 29, Lynch 29, Broad 29.

A few of those have been more susceptible to injury lately. Age is a definite factor which I don't think will go away. We can expect more injuries. You just can't easily replace this depth of quality players.

Reactions: 1 users
AFL/umps could have easily put this to bed a long time ago. Drop the shoulder to force opponent's arm to go up around the neck, no free play on. Selwood is a master at this and if you get away with it you'll keep doing it. Best I saw at doing this at the Tigers was Miles.

sign of the times and advancing years
of the Geelong games I'd seen previous to Friday night I'd seen Selwood going in as a 2nd or 3rd tackler
and doing little jumper punches or pressing his forehead or shoulder into the guys face

hes trying to get that guy to retaliate and give away a free

it shows he's slowing down and he's doing that stuff to compete with the young fast guys

First we need to end the Pickett rucking farce. Need him on the wing. Next we need to stop using a back as a ruckman. If one of them doesn't ruck, then we're too tall down back so one has to go and Astbury is it. Next we need another tall option to support Lynch and Jack and at the same time solve the 2nd ruckman problem. Therefore Aarts has to make way.

I can see the logic but cant see either of those guys making way.

Just on CCJ, is there any thought he may be being overlooked for reasons other than football?
Interesting question. The theory was that after his breach with Stacka last year he was read the riot act re alcohol intake n some decision making. Supposedly he'd learnt the error of his exuberant youthful indulgence.
Could simply be getting left out because there was bugger all footy last year and the Magoos footy this year started much later with a bye this week n he simply hasn't quite been able to get the game time n development needed.
Nank playing lone hand beast mode probably hasn't helped him that much. From memory Nank was somewhat underwhelmed when Soldo was playing ruck ahead of him early last year n might prefer to be the big kahuna in the ruck. We also don't seem to be overly interested with a three tall less mobile forward line so Cujo might not get a look there unless there's an injury.

this is what I'd like to see:

OUT: Edwards (inj) Ross Mansell

IN: Ralpsmith Coleman-Jones Grimes

Sub: Stack

Ralphsmith, Pickett, Bolton, Graham, Martin, RCD in the guts. This is thin. I know it, everyone knows it.

We MUST play another tall up forward to ease the two-way workload on the mids. A more classical forward line, less focus on territory and more on efficiency. We also gotta play our absolute best back 7 if we're gonna absorb a decent amount of oppo entries, so Baker running off a HBF. Our running backs need to support the mids at every opportunity.

Stack with his limited fitness might be an ideal sub if we lose yet another mid.
Where does Naish fit in to all that? Are they changes from the original 22?

this is what I'd like to see:

OUT: Edwards (inj) Ross Mansell

IN: Ralpsmith Coleman-Jones Grimes

Sub: Stack

Ralphsmith, Pickett, Bolton, Graham, Martin, RCD in the guts. This is thin. I know it, everyone knows it.

We MUST play another tall up forward to ease the two-way workload on the mids. A more classical forward line, less focus on territory and more on efficiency. We also gotta play our absolute best back 7 if we're gonna absorb a decent amount of oppo entries, so Baker running off a HBF. Our running backs need to support the mids at every opportunity.

Stack with his limited fitness might be an ideal sub if we lose yet another mid.
I'm against Stack at this point in time. we need him to increase his game fitness. Sit around waiting for a run, will not make him better. If in the next two VFL matches, he proves his fitness, then we bring him in.
Our biggest weakness against quality backline was the lack of a third tall. Grimes in, then Mansell out makes sense.
if Ross goes out, then we lose 2 mids (Edwards and him) and we replace one. We need the additional runner.
for me, its CCJ & Grimes out Edwards and Mansell. Throw in Ralphsmith as medical, Nash back to VFL for match fitness.

Stack to play when he is 100% fit.

We want the 2019 version.

Reactions: 4 users
First we need to end the Pickett rucking farce. Need him on the wing. Next we need to stop using a back as a ruckman. If one of them doesn't ruck, then we're too tall down back so one has to go and Astbury is it. Next we need another tall option to support Lynch and Jack and at the same time solve the 2nd ruckman problem. Therefore Aarts has to make way.
We have a tall option with good hands that can ruck play forward but for some reason despites Dimma's comments otherwise, the MC won't pick CCJ to see what he can do in the big league. I agree playing a non ruck as a second ruck is not working right now but dropping the likes of Astbury after one bad game is counter productive and damages our ability to defend

We have a tall option with good hands that can ruck play forward but for some reason despites Dimma's comments otherwise, the MC won't pick CCJ to see what he can do in the big league. I agree playing a non ruck as a second ruck is not working right now but dropping the likes of Astbury after one bad game is counter productive and damages our ability to defend
I don't think it does because it allow Pickett to stick to the wing and close down space, which is his forte. Our problem at the moment is defending turnovers in our F50, we need our mids and fwds to run harder and provide the first wave of defense.

One philosophical change we have to make is place greater value on clearance, especially centre clearance where the 6-6-6 rule should work to our advantage if we get the forward mix of players and set up right. First step to that is playing two rucks.

In the last few home and away rounds and then in the 2019 finals, Soldo and Nankervis were fantastic and complemented each other. We actually did well in clearance. Who knows if Coleman-Jones will be a player, but at least we need to find out. Plus he has to be a better second ruck option than using Pickett or any other stop gap measure, including Lynch who just can't jump and is a poor user of his body (very disappointed at this deficiency in his game).

Playing a second ruck also helps defend with a bigger body to push back to help out the defenders - we were left exposed when Pickett was on the ball on Friday as he wasn't the physical presence to help thwart Hawkins and Cameron.

Surly you could rotate ccj with lynch,jack and also he could do a second ruck roll.
Pickett into the midfield,naish or caddy into wing.

Going to be an interesting game. Need to make the right selections.
Lose here and a top 4 finish might be out of the question