Changes V Port | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes V Port

Feb 25, 2007
I have refrained from posting since last night's disappointing loss. To say that I am still pivved off is an understatement.
When will this team learn how to close out a game? These close games are killing me.

Last week against the Cats we were running over the ground.

From defence, we just bombed it as far as we could and it came straight back. Bombers transition from defence was pretty good, hitting targets at will.

Blind Freddy could see don't bomb it forward into our fwd 50, lower the eyes with no Lynch but hey they continually kicked it on top of everyone's heads. This shouldn't be a hard directive to put across or is it, at each press conference dimma mentions our forward 50 entries but nothing changes.
Rinse and repeat.

A win would've had us above Carlton and half a game from 7th. This was a really bad loss.

Prestia's 11 disposals was as bad a game as I've seen from him. With Hopper out he needed to step up. Dow a lot to ask from but he had no presence in the midfield. Dusty looked dangerous, and sharp, he's on but he needed to go more midfield because it seemed only Taranto, Bolton, and Short were our main mids, we just lacked more mids going in there for longer and impacting.

Cotchin play him in the guts and bench, he ain't no forward. Yeah kicked 3 last week but I watched him closely last night rarely chased, and doesn't put enough pressure on. Bombers' defenders just waltzed it out. This is why junior rioli needs to play once he is over his hammy it's his run downs, pressure/perceived pressure etc we are missing 1-2 pressure forwards.

On notice: Pickett and Macintosh, these two have been somewhat underwhelming, macca tries hard but geez his foot skills are not AFL standard. A momentum killer at times. Pickett can't work him out, theres games where he looks to be one of our best then in other games he is nowhere to be seen, Time for Marlion to go back to the wing. Let's see if he can pick up his game.

Cumbers BOG in the ressie with 17 disposals, 4 goals and 8 marks.
Banks has been consistently in good form, is a hard runner, and a good ball user. He had 19 disposals and 5 tackles.
Sonsie was one of our best with 28 disposals.

Ins: Cumberland, Sonsie, Banks
I dare say the Outs will more than likely come from this lot: Dow, Clarke, Ralphsmith, Mansell

*Samson Ryan who I rate and has played well of late was just disappointing, couldn't mark to save himself and was easily outpointed.
Might get a reprieve but if not the match committee might go with Miller, a shorter option but provides more run and can swing forward or back if need be.
Not totally sold on Miller but his last two games I would say have been his best games this year.

Last edited:

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Ins: Yes Outs? Not Mansell or Ralphsmith.

Ryan needs to be kept in for apprenticeship learning.

Oh and Miller needs to be given another go.

Having said all that we need to make sure our superstars of the past are willing to be a party to this and give their experience freely.

Reactions: 1 user

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
Ins
Jack needs help in the forward line so bring in either Miller or Brauer just to give us another taller option to make their defence accountable. If we go with Miller, he can rotate in the ruck with Ryan and nank. Cumberland surely comes in too. Pickett back to the wing. Ross into the middle. Sonsie in as well. That's 3 ins.
Outs
Dow - he looked totally lost last night;
Ralphsmith - doesn't do enough and his kicking is woeful
Clarke - needs a full game in the VFL.

Reactions: 1 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Here's something from left field.
How about we just play the players in one position for an extended period of games and stop throwing them all over the ground trying to plug holes.
Stop trying to invent positions to cover players weaknesses...see Cotchin. He either plays midfield and if he cant provide enough then he plays ressies. Dont see Pendlebury or Dangerflog hid in a fwd pocket to give them a game. Could say the same about Selwood last year.
Stop trying to turn a winger into a fwd when you have one in the ressies but have decided to turn him into a backman.
Give one of your most exciting and talented youngsters some love by allowing an extended run of games in the ones.
Lets try that for a start.

Reactions: 5 users

Peanut M&Ms

Tiger Cub
Apr 15, 2023
The only change this week will be the game will be played in the day. More misery, and bigger cracks will appear.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
How about we just play the players in one position for an extended period of games and stop throwing them all over the ground trying to plug holes.
Stop trying to invent positions to cover players weaknesses...see Cotchin. He either plays midfield and if he cant provide enough then he plays ressies. Dont see Pendlebury or Dangerflog hid in a fwd pocket to give them a game. Could say the same about Selwood last year.
Stop trying to turn a winger into a fwd when you have one in the ressies but have decided to turn him into a backman.
Give one of your most exciting and talented youngsters some love by allowing an extended run of games in the ones.
Same thought with me. This is why most players are confused and stuff up. They need to be positioned so they can build in that spot. Just as we were from 2017.

Judge Smailes

The world needs ditch diggers too!
Dec 17, 2003
Adelaide
Think it's time to give Sons at least a 3 game block. He is one of the few that can hit a target. Season is shot, give him an extended look. Cumberland the same. Hugo had his shot and it hasn't been pretty. Miller up forward. As an aside, I get totally frustrated with this "Richmond don't tag" mentality. Essendon had ONE elite mid and a bunch of fill ins. Why not run a tag on Merrett? With Setterfield and Shiel out, they had zero other mids that could hurt us. Infuriating. Rant over.

Reactions: 5 users

Tigga94

Tiger Rookie
Apr 2, 2023
Play players in natural positions, if they can’t do that and or are sore then they don’t get a game. In saying that, I think Balta may need to go forward and Young or Miller replace him down back.

Ins: Banks, Cumbo, Bauer, Mj and Miller
Outs: Macca, Dow, Hugo, Cotch (sub) and Jack Riewoldt.
IMG_5596.png

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Changes:

Pickett to play on the wing, Cumberland to take his spot in the forward line
Ross goes into the middle, Dow goes out.

Out: Dow
In: Cumberland

maybe give Banks a debut and take Hugo out

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
you're comparing Pendlebury and Dangerfields CVs with Cotchy?

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
One going under the radar is Clarke he needs a full game or 2 in the VFL he hasn’t come on as expected in 2023 thus far
When he came on as the sub he looked spent and slow watched him in the last didn’t chase and looked timid

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Play players in natural positions, if they can’t do that and or are sore then they don’t get a game. In saying that, I think Balta may need to go forward and Young or Miller replace him down back.

Ins: Banks, Cumbo, Bauer, Mj and Miller
Outs: Macca, Dow, Hugo, Cotch (sub) and Jack Riewoldt.
Exactly! We play Miller as a forward or ruck when we got him to be a defender. We et Bauer as a forward and now training him to be a defender. I could go on

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
I'm sick of hearing excuses for ya McIntosh Pickett and a few other type players to say they cover plenty of ground to cover spaces etc. How about our runners cover ground to give options opening up play for us when we have it. Watch Collonwood how they run to create space not block space. Yeah and how many games do we lose because our stubborn coach refuses to use a tag. Poor coaching and onfield leadership has cost us terribly since our glory years. Lucky to win 8 games this year with the standards we are playing to i reckon.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
There are 300 reasons why Cotch is still playing.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I'm sick of hearing excuses for ya McIntosh Pickett and a few other type players to say they cover plenty of ground to cover spaces etc. How about our runners cover ground to give options opening up play for us when we have it. Watch Collonwood how they run to create space not block space.
Still missing Houli a lot. He was amazing at running and creating options coming out of defence.