Changes V Saints | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes V Saints

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
1) Some really poor play at the end by a couple with efforts by Castagna,Short and Vlastuin in particular, below AFL standard, and cost us dearly.
2) Aarts has been playing well but like Caddy he lacks the speed to match the opponents he will have against top 6 teams. (Ditto Astbury).
3) The decision not to take in (and try out another tall) against the Eagles forwards, was a mistake’which they exploited all day.

Some creative selection if you like and crap if you don’t!
In Miller Nankervis Prestia and Stack.
Out Aarts Caddy Castagna D Rioli and Ralphsmith.

B Miller Balta Houli
HB Cotchin Grimes Vlastuin
C McIntosh Bolton Chol
HF Baker Graham
Lambert.
F Cameron-Jones Martin Riewoldt
R Nankervis Edwards Prestia
I/C Broad Pickett Short and Stack.
Sub Castagna.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
1) Some really poor play at the end by a couple with efforts by Castagna and Vlastuin in particular, below AFL standard, and cost us dearly.
2) Aarts has been playing well but like Caddy he lacks the speed to match the opponents he will have against top 6 teams. (Ditto Astbury).
3) The decision not to take in (and try out another tall) against the Eagles forwards, was a mistake’which they exploited all day.

Some creative selection if you like and crap if you don’t!
In Miller Nankervis Prestia and Stack.
Out Aarts Caddy Castagna D Rioli and Ralphsmith.

B Miller Balta Houli
HB Cotchin Grimes Mansell
C McIntosh Bolton Chol
HF Baker Graham
Lambert.
F Cameron-Jones Martin Riewoldt
R Nankervis Edwards Prestia
I/C Broad Pickett Short and Stack.
Sub Castagna.
When did we pick up Cameron-Jones?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dropping Aarts before Rioli and Castagna is a bit rich given the form this year.

I'd bring Astbury back, we need height down back.

Prestia clearly returns if fit.

Nank back if fit.

Chol stays unless CJ plays back up ruck and I prefer him up forward. Chol can be a decent second ruck but is no first ruck. When Nank is not rucking maybe he goes into defence or Chol rucks forward and Nank never needs to go forward. Pickett plays wing and does not ruck.

Caddy out, not playing well enough.

Castagna or Rioli out but this is very problematic as there is no VFL for them to find form. They need to be put in slightly different roles, defend the forward entries but not space, and more crumbing. Defending space is no longer a thing. Defenders move up to block exits, small forwards play as small forwards.

Need to find another to omit, I'll leave that to others.

DS

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Dropping Aarts before Rioli and Castagna is a bit rich given the form this year.

Nank back if fit.

Chol stays unless CJ plays back up ruck and I prefer him up forward. Chol can be a decent second ruck but is no first ruck. When Nank is not rucking maybe he goes into defence or Chol rucks forward and Nank never needs to go forward. Pickett plays wing and does not ruck.

Castagna or Rioli out but this is very problematic as there is no VFL for them to find form. They need to be put in slightly different roles, defend the forward entries but not space, and more crumbing. Defending space is no longer a thing. Defenders move up to block exits, small forwards play as small forwards.

DS
If Nank and Lynch both play, who misses then? Just Chol perhaps.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb

(As suggested I’d drop all three of those mentioned, and Miller should be tried now irrespective of Astbury’s availability).

Nank back if fit.

(Agree).

(Agree).

DS

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
If it was good enough for Dimma to give Caddy the arse and punish him for the rest of 2020 after he cost us all momentum against the Power in that game resulting in another gut wrenching loss then same applies to Short for the same dumb effort.

Jayden goes out for mine that was as dumb as Caddys and just as costly, and a statement needs to be made, his cheap inflated stats from kick ins also has overated his actual impact on games for mine this year as well.

Rioli and George both need to go also, but they wont drop them both along with Caddy.

Aarts was sheizen last night also but has had a few good games prior so he gets a reprieve.

Too many passengers all year, the guys have never been on the pace since the first bounce.

Last edited:

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I know we need to freshen up but with Nanks and Prestia due back we will be a far better side. The part time ruck experiment is dead in the water as it makes unnecessary gaps where a mid / wing needs to be. Our defence is also missing a gorilla so that needs to be filled with one that can move a bit. Not sure about the love for Parker. After all he was delisted by the Saints so his pedigree has to be limited and he has not played an VFL game for us yet to see how he gels with our system

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
I know we need to freshen up but with Nanks and Prestia due back we will be a far better side. The part time ruck experiment is dead in the water as it makes unnecessary gaps where a mid / wing needs to be. Our defence is also missing a gorilla so that needs to be filled with one that can move a bit. Not sure about the love for Parker. After all he was delisted by the Saints so his pedigree has to be limited and he has not played an VFL game for us yet to see how he gels with our system
Parker delisted by Sinners so they could bring in Crouch Higgins Butler Jones McKernan Frawley etc :rotfl1
How’s that going for them? Not worried Parker was delisted by Sinners he’s been killing it in WA
He was drafted for a reason to give us speed marking power goal kicking and a good tackler
Play him let’s see what he’s got

Reactions: 6 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Parker delisted by Sinners so they could bring in Crouch Higgins Butler Jones McKernan Frawley etc :rotfl1
How’s that going for them? Not worried Parker was delisted by Sinners he’s been killing it in WA
He was drafted for a reason to give us speed marking power goal kicking and a good tackler
Drafted to provide everything that George and Rioli are not providiing this year :))

Reactions: 2 users

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
yes but surely he needs to learn our systems and become a Richmond man in the VFL before he gets a game? Even Marlion did half a season in the VFL before making his debut.

Reactions: 4 users
Feb 25, 2007
Ins: Prestia, Astbury
Outs: Caddy, Rioli

Lynch and Nankervis going by an earlier presser of Dimma, will be back in RD 15

Wouldnt mind seeing Mansell come in so baker can play more forward/midfield.

Reactions: 3 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008

Nank back if fit.

DS
Only thing is Chol once again showed a massive non competitive game as nic nats 20 touches was just about a career high,3 times more touches than Chol.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Maybe after he's played a VFL game or two so he's at least got some basic understanding of our structural positioning and style of play.

Reactions: 2 users