Changes verses the Swannies - Easter Round | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes verses the Swannies - Easter Round

Feb 25, 2007
Maybe that's good team defence from the opposition?
You know all players switched on and in their position in the zone to stop the handball chain/fatside switch/short chipkicks.

Maybe we dont see it but the zone is crucial to stop opposition ball movement.
JUst a thought

:peepwall

So our defence is bad that's what you're saying because it seems most teams do it to us, switch play and move the ball without any real pressure applied.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
If you trawl through posts you will find me very supportive of Cumbo being in the team but his form is not up to selection, simple as that. 2022 form yes

This is what the vfl coach said about him. I have watched him in the last few weeks and he is getting better but not screaming out to be picked imo.

Noah Cumberland (11 disposals, four inside-50s, two marks, two goals)

"Noah has played a couple of very different games over the last couple of weeks. But, the aspect of his game that has really stood out has been his defensive pressure and that's something that we really value and are definitely looking to see him continue to build. It was good to see him getting a little bit of reward on the scoreboard on the weekend, he's trending in a really positive direction
However, if you compare Noah's AFL stats to MRJ he is clearly superior on most, especially offensively e.g. goal av. 1.5/0.7, inside 50s 1.9/1.2, CPs 4.3/2.9, EDs 4.8/4.4, Mi50 1.1/0.7, CMs 0.5/0.1, score involvs 4.7/3.1, Ms_Gained 164.1/116 etc.

Other stats are same (tackles) or quite close even if MRJ is ahead on some.

Overall, MRJ is given more games, more opportunities though.

So, just tell me why Maurice's form and performances justify his continued place in the team in comparison with NC?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
So, just tell me why Maurice's form and performances justify his continued place in the team in comparison with NC?
I dont believe Sinner is on the match committee, so you may be directing your question in the wrong direction.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
So our defence is bad that's what you're saying because it seems most teams do it to us, switch play and move the ball without any real pressure applied.
Our team cohesion, connection, synergy isnt poor. No surprises when we have new players and loss of change each week.

I still remember the best year for that the team I played in. We'd won a flag before with very good players, but this year we had the full back regularly dashing forward to get the switch at the wing. The connection everyone had was unfriggenbelievable.

So we dont yet have it with Ooze. We somehow found it late 2016 in the vfl and then early 2017.
It will come.
And maybe we gotta trust that the MC know about footy and will pick the team for the long term success

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I dont believe Sinner is on the match committee, so you may be directing your question in the wrong direction.
Good observation Brodders. I tried to get on the match committee but they told me I needed to know something about footy so I was ruled out.

I think some may have missed the comment I made in an earlier post that the team is not necessarily the one I would pick but that I understood reasons why we are giving players a decent run at it.

I reckon all these players will get a decent run to see what they have got and that includes Cumberland and Clarke and probably Coulthard, Bauer, Trezise and a few others.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Is that your best contribution to the discussion? Just so trite and vacuous but I suppose you think you're so clever in your own little mind.
You're probably best to just amuse yourself ... without wasting others' time.

If Posh and Sin reckon they know why Cumberland is not selected, it's fair enough their views get challenged.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Good observation Brodders. I tried to get on the match committee but they told me I needed to know something about footy so I was ruled out.

I think some may have missed the comment I made in an earlier post that the team is not necessarily the one I would pick but that I understood reasons why we are giving players a decent run at it.

I reckon all these players will get a decent run to see what they have got and that includes Cumberland and Clarke and probably Coulthard, Bauer, Trezise and a few others.
But you don't have any insider source for this theory do you Sin? I think you're just surmising and assuming because it's plausible.
But in terms of actual reason, logic and facts, it doesn't really stack up, does it? e.g. Even I was surprised when I compared MRJ to NC, that he wasn't clearly ahead on tackles because that's his strength - the run down tackles. But both players equal on 1.1 i50.
So much for Noah not applying enough defensive pressure.

Anyway, we will see what transpires over the weekend, but I'm not expecting much good news.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Cumbo not playing well enough in the VFL :rolleyes:
Meanwhile Banks MJ Dow have stinkers and they still get picked week after week
If only someone would tell us why the MC thinks this way. I often wonder if they rewatch the games to see how ineffectual some are or just work on the basis of hoping they may eventually come good. Whatever, to the average supporter, it doesn't seem rational and it isn't working

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
But you don't have any insider source for this theory do you Sin? I think you're just surmising and assuming because it's plausible.
But in terms of actual reason, logic and facts, it doesn't really stack up, does it? e.g. Even I was surprised when I compared MRJ to NC, that he wasn't clearly ahead on tackles because that's his strength - the run down tackles. But both players equal on 1.1 i50.

Anyway, we will see what transpires over the weekend, but I'm not expecting much good news.
What on earth are you going on about ? What theory?

I haven’t posted anything about Moju comparisons to Cumbo, that’s 100% you.

All I have said is that imo Cumbo hasn’t been playing well enough to get a game, that’s it. I have also posted here and elsewhere that despite his lack of form he is working hard defensively, which is good.

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
What on earth are you going on about ? What theory?

I haven’t posted anything about Moju comparisons to Cumbo, that’s 100% you.

All I have said is that imo Cumbo hasn’t been playing well enough to get a game, that’s it. I have also posted here and elsewhere that despite his lack of form he is working hard defensively, which is good.
Guys ,guys happy to play the kids all year! Yze needs to and will l believe cull and or trade players .This list needs lots of fertilizer over the next 3 year ,it should /will be a completely new playing list going forward .
We have a strong hand this year at the draft and will getstronger with a trade out at years end .

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
YEah right...woulda said the same about
Markov and Stengle ....and now they both have premiership medalions
Couple of extremely lucky players there.
Markov a fringe player at Richmond n Mold Coast then was basically retired before Fly offered him a summer train on, he then even went to Carlscum on a hope n pray before Colonwood gave him a mercy shot. Pretty sure he was back in the magoos again already this season.
Stengle was a promising youngster with us who wanted to go back home to S.A. and then basically shat on his career with the Crows. Moggies gave him a career saving opportunity at the feet of Tommyhawk n Jizza n so far he's presented one magnificent season.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

So what's your excuse for the Cummerbund not getting games Leon?
Does he not have sufficiently incriminating photos of the coach to get a game?
Perhaps you've got an inside rail with the match committee n can give all of us speculators the factual lowdown instead of just bagging out others for having an opinion in an opinion forum.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I would suggest yes leon. Look to the likes of Carter if you're seeking more intellectual stimulation.
Yep, as a member of the clubs inner circle, I have been told I can only post on here as long as I don't say anything intelligent.
I have my suspicions a few other posters have been told the same thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Did Ralphsmith only play a quarter in the 2s? His stats look like it. Would make sense as all 3 emergencies ran out in the VFL and we would need at least one carryover in case Meehan wrecks someone in the warm up again