Changes vs Fremantle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes vs Fremantle

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
In: Vlastuin, Bauer, Banks, JRioli.
Out : Cotchin, Graham, Grimes (inj) Cumberland

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2007
Outs: Young, Mansell
Ins: Vlustuin, Maurice Junior

I actually think that Graham needs to be dropped. 9 disposals and 2 tackles on top of his 11 disposals and 1 tackle last week doesn’t cut the mustard.
Escapes scrutiny for many subpar performances.

Reactions: 6 users

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana

I actually think that Graham needs to be dropped. 9 disposals and 2 tackles on top of his 11 disposals and 1 tackle last week doesn’t cut the mustard.
I actually think that Graham wont be with us next year .. and that's ok .

Reactions: 2 users

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia

MJ in from not having played a game in over 5 weeks from injury and not kicking a goal since round 1?

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 25, 2007
MJ in from not having played a game in over 5 weeks from injury and not kicking a goal since round 1?

Yeah, but his pressure is better than any other small forward that we have. The ball is coming out too easily.
Btw our coaches have no issues putting players straight back in after missing X amount of games. ;)

If MRJ needs to play 1-2 ressies games so be it. Love to see Coulthard come in, first game today did well, with 14 disposals, 1 goal and 5 marks.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yep has had just 3.8 effective disposals per game this year, just 2 score involvements. Love his enthusiasm and ability to pressure but even that's been down this year. Opportunity is now to get his game going again and find some of the pill and work on his decision-making and disposal in the ressies.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Balta is in great form and looks to me to be the best of those currently available, to take over from Jack. With our current stock of tall backs and Gibcus and possibly Himmelburg coming in next year, I am not too worried about moving him forward.
Season gone. Bauer to play his first.

In Bauer, Cumberland and Vlastuin.
Out Cotchin sub, Graham and Mansell.

B Vlastuin Grimes Young
HB Bauer* Broad Rioli D,
C McIntosh Bolton Short
HF Cumberland Baker Martin
F Clarke Balta Riewoldt
R Nankervis Ross Taranto
I/C Pickett Prestia Ralphsmith and Ryan
Sub Cotchin.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Balta is in great form and looks to me to be the best of those currently available, to take over from Jack. With our current stock of tall backs and Gibcus and possibly Himmelburg coming in next year, I am not too worried about moving him forward.

B Vlastuin Grimes Young
HB Bauer* Broad Rioli D,
C McIntosh Bolton Short
F Clarke Balta Riewoldt
R Nankervis Ross Taranto
Sub Cotchin.
like this

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

B Vlastuin Grimes Young
HB Bauer* Broad Rioli D,
C McIntosh Bolton Short
F Clarke Balta Riewoldt
R Nankervis Ross Taranto
Sub Cotchin.

You just won't jump off this one will you.

Balta is looking like he could be an AA defender for us. He comes off last season where he had his head scrambled from being thrown all over the place and is probably playing his most consistent footy of his career now he is settled, is ranked No. 2 in the AFL for intercept marks and you want to swing him forward.

Not for me. Balta is a backman and an excellent one at that.

Reactions: 23 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Balta is the key to our defence. He is playing well enough to ease the pressures on the others. His performances allows Nick and Broady to play their roles and come on top.

Reactions: 5 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
You just won't jump off this one will you.

Balta is looking like he could be an AA defender for us. He comes off last season where he had his head scrambled from being thrown all over the place and is probably playing his most consistent footy of his career now he is settled, is ranked No. 2 in the AFL for intercept marks and you want to swing him forward.

Not for me. Balta is a backman and an excellent one at that.

He was playing very well as a forward in last years preseason but had to move back, I think because someone was injured.

We don’t have a low pick to buy a forward for next year. We don’t have someone who looks like he can take over and be as effective as Lynch or Jack, but we do have a bunch of pretty good backs around, and some more likely to come back in time for next season.
Don’t care about AA.

This season is shot. A little experimentation won’t break him.
It is all about winning and in case you haven’t noticed, we have not been winning many.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
He was playing very well as a forward in last years preseason but had to move back, I think because someone was injured.

We don’t have a low pick to buy a forward for next year. We don’t have someone who looks like he can take over and be as effective as Lynch or Jack, but we do have a bunch of pretty good backs around, and some more likely to come back in time for next season.
Don’t care about AA.

This season is shot. A little experimentation won’t break him.
It is all about winning and in case you haven’t noticed, we have not been winning many.

Its also about building a team to win another premiership. Balta should be a lock in the backline for the next time we push for a premiership, so why would we throw him forward?

You seem to think yours is a long term view, but its actually the opposite. Balta will be a key pillar of that backline, so why pull him out for the short term because we don't have any forwards?

It just doesn't make a lot of sense IMO to push in that direction.

Jack is playing well enough this year (21 goals in 11 games) at his age is great. Still ranked 21st in the AFL for average goals per game. Sure he's not as good as he used to be, we know that, but we are trying to build our next team to go for a premiership and getting consistency in players playing in their best position is what we need and that keeps Balta back.

If we wanted to go for another tall forward, I'd prefer to give Biggy a crack and reward the form he just showed in the VFL. His stats at shooting for goal weren't great but he didn't miss many easy ones (he missed 1 I think that you'd be sure he should have kicked).

Reactions: 2 users