Changes vs Port Power Rnd 18 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes vs Port Power Rnd 18

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
We mugged them on their home deck earlier this year when we had half our team out.

Must make sure we don't allow them to do the same to us this time, given they seem to perform best in these types of back to the wall situationsl.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Problem with that is that Caddy is no good in the middle

I think he's good in the middle but only for short stints. He doesn't have the tank that others have. He's a forward who pinch hits in the middle. If he plays then he replaces another forward or Stack goes back. Stack has to play forward imo. He creates havoc and uncertainty and is almost untouchable by the opposition. I'm a fan of Caddy but atm it's hard to see where he fits in now that we have two talls forward. On Sunday Lynch included in his play the stuff that Caddy does well allowing Reiwoldt space and the luxury of 4 speedy smaller forwards. Do we need to tinker with that setup at this stage? Not sure we do. Selection will be very interesting.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I think he's good in the middle but only for short stints. He doesn't have the tank that others have. He's a forward who pinch hits in the middle. If he plays then he replaces another forward or Stack goes back. Stack has to play forward imo. He creates havoc and uncertainty and is almost untouchable by the opposition. I'm a fan of Caddy but atm it's hard to see where he fits in now that we have two talls forward. On Sunday Lynch included in his play the stuff that Caddy does well allowing Reiwoldt space and the luxury of 4 speedy smaller forwards. Do we need to tinker with that setup at this stage? Not sure we do. Selection will be very interesting.
Use Caddy's big body in the midfield just to clear a way for Shai ;)

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
Not sure Nank should come straight in or play him 3 qtrs in the VFL & back for the Pies. On the other hand if Chol stays in he doesn't have to shoulder the ruck as he usually did & his time could be monitored.
I didn't mind a suggestion by this guy who was a guest on the BF Tiger Podcast last night, regarding Nank. Apparently Nank is currently listed as a 'test'.

Anyway assuming he is fit to play some football, this guy suggested replacing Soldo with Nank, only play him as a second ruck, like Choi is now, and stick Choi in as main ruck. Choi is currently playing about 50% game time, I believe.

Maybe that would be an optimal tune-up for the Collingwood game. The problem with tuning or whatever via the VFL, apart from the obvious level difference, is that the VFL side would play on the Sunday, with the Collingwood game on the Friday, as opposed to the AFL game against Port on the Saturday.

Just a thought.

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Use Caddy's big body in the midfield just to clear a way for Shai ;)
Because of what Port did to Neale last week, I want aggro big bodies like Caddy and Kmac to get on the front foot and target their mids before the first bounce. We need to be in full rehearsal mode for the extra physicality that will come with finals. As a team, we need to send a clear message to all oppo taggers and snipers, 'Touch one, touch all.'

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Anyway assuming he is fit to play some football, this guy suggested replacing Soldo with Nank, only play him as a second ruck, like Choi is now, and stick Choi in as main ruck. Choi is currently playing about 50% game time, I believe.

Maybe that would be an optimal tune-up for the Collingwood game. The problem with tuning or whatever via the VFL, apart from the obvious level difference, is that the VFL side would play on the Sunday, with the Collingwood game on the Friday, as opposed to the AFL game against Port on the Saturday.

Just a thought.

Not sure we can be taking risks at this stage when we need to win every game possible. Chol has done ok at ground level but is getting slaughtered in ruck contests and I can't see it being a good move having him first ruck. Pinch hitting 2nd ruck is fine. Pretty sure the club had already stated that Nanks won't be ready until Collingwood anyway so I can't see him being selected to play.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Stack will do that whatever position he plays but for me him defending then running our of the D50 is still his current best position, but only just!

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
With Nank playing VFL, the pressure will be on Soldo and Chol to perform this week. There will be some fire in the belly. Will be interesting to see how they each perform.

My prediction is Cholly to kick 6.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Agree. Not seeing the need to rush Caddy back.
He played a good game in the ressies but that doesn't make up for the string of poor games prior imo.
He can do some more hard yards in the 2's for mine; also may assist with a welcome reboot of his attitude.
More importantly, our forward structure is AOK without him now.
He had his chance with Jack out and blew it as far as i am concerned.
And he is a liability in the midfield, so that doesn't work.
Josh is now back-up.

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Agree. Not seeing the need to rush Caddy back.
He played a good game in the ressies but that doesn't make up for the string of poor games prior imo.
He can do some more hard yards in the 2's for mine; also may assist with a welcome reboot of his attitude.
More importantly, our forward structure is AOK without him now.
He had his chance with Jack out and blew it as far as i am concerned.
And he is a liability in the midfield, so that doesn't work.
Josh is now back-up.
My mail is they want Caddy in, Stack to go back and Egg out. (Don't forget, Stack rushes forward anyway when the opportunity presents, and kicks goals, so it's not as though he's suddenly absent from our attack.)

Barring injuries, Egg will not be part of our finals campaign.

In general, only three of Lynch, Chol, Riewoldt and Caddy will be on the field at any given time. We need those guys to practise finely-tuned leading patterns that separate key defenders, create space and provide other team members with clear lace-out targets.

Also, 1-2 of these guys will always have a role high up the ground between the arcs, to boost our aerial ability.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I reckon it's Egg out. Baker in. And in the same role. Like for like.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
If they are set on having Caddy in the side come finals - he will be back this week. Needs a run at it to get himself going. Eggs out caddy in is my guess.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
How’d we look today? Anything worthy to report back?
Stack disappeared from track pretty early, players clapped and cheered Nanks return to footy. Marlion looks good but still didn't do the competitive work.
Otherwise pretty standard.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
My mail is they want Caddy in, Stack to go back and Egg out. (Don't forget, Stack rushes forward anyway when the opportunity presents, and kicks goals, so it's not as though he's suddenly absent from our attack.)

I reckon of all the positions: back, middle, forward, Stackman44 is least suited to forward

I'll back in your prediction TC