Club 80 threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Club 80 threads [Merged]

Re: Club 80 Pre-season Function

C'mon mb we won't tell. :cutelaugh

mb64 said:
Any starters for Tuesday night?

I thought it was the following Tuesday night, the 15th?

:mad: Damn this club 80 caper sounds like a bit of fun, but how the hell do I get to poke my nose in when I have to be on the road by 0430 weekdays and can be running any where from 8 to 16 hours at a stretch?
Would appreciate a bit of goss from those fortunate enough to attend these nights.

TigerMasochist said:
:mad: Damn this club 80 caper sounds like a bit of fun, but how the hell do I get to poke my nose in when I have to be on the road by 0430 weekdays and can be running any where from 8 to 16 hours at a stretch?
Would appreciate a bit of goss from those fortunate enough to attend these nights.
Will fill you in on any news.

mb64 said:
TigerMasochist said:

It would be appreciated if any news from functions are posted, for us interstaters. :help

Ghost Who Walks said:
mb64 said:
TigerMasochist said:

It would be appreciated if any news from functions are posted, for us interstaters. :help
PRE will be 1st to know any news even before the media. ;D

This is a reminder if to anyone going to the Club80 function tonight.

Does anyone remember when the gates open?

Phantom,I generally get there about 7pm but theres always quite a few already there.Not sure when people start coming in.

Club80 Function

Went to club 80 tonight where the special guests were Royal,King,Fitness Coach ,Mat Rogers & Justin Charles.Not much news to report but a few things of interest
-Club80 have sponsored the purchase of software which was shown tonight & covers stats,highlights & video of the games & players,opposition sides & their games & stats & pretty much anything you want to know can be found.Its impressive stuff but it appears all other clubs have this type of software already.
-Fitness guy spoke of Gaspar being miles ahead of his preparation compared to this time last year.
-Troy Simmonds was mentioned regularly & bigs things are expected from him.
-The thing that stood out to King & Royal when they came to the club was the lack of confidence in playing hard running attacking football,lack of voice.Seem our players were programmed to be defensive.
-Fiora has apparently only put on 1kg not 7kg as reported by Grant Thomas.Seems Thomas is just pumping him up.
-Royal says that the game plan will be based on attacking & said at times it will be put under pressurre but there will be no waivering from it.
-Justin Charles spoke about his new business venture for 10 minutes.Don't ask me what it is because I've got no idea.
-Cogs has been treated conservatively ,will play a half for Coburg on Friday.
There were other things mentioned,have forgotten but will post once I remember.

Re: Club80 Function

Also for those who are interested Rogers is playing at East Burwood,seemed disappointed he didn't play his 200 with us.Royal also mentioned Pattison had come along quicker than they thought & along with Deledio & Tambling will be playing on Friday night as the only new draftees.

mb64 said:
-Justin Charles spoke about his new business venture for 10 minutes.Don't ask me what it is because I've got no idea.
This Investment Report brought to you by MB64 :rofl

Ready said:
mb64 said:
This Investment Report brought to you by MB64  :rofl

Yes, I was at the Club80 function as well last night. Justin spoke about how he'd spent the last few years travelling around the world searching for the meaning of life and its relevence to his prior crises of injury and steroids. He said that he in fact discovered the meaning and the reason for what he called "laserfocus" which is the reason why 60yo ladies can miraculously overturn cars and rescue children and the like, and he uses it to teach women how to empower themselves. Good luck to him.

Yes, the demonstration of the new software by Brian Royal was fascinating in 2 respects. First, I was right last year, technologically we were a mile behind even the 2nd last placed side of 2004. Sorry, I wasn't right, we were in fact way way behind the position that I thought we were in. Whereas every other club in the AFL was using digital technology to record and analyze its game strategy, the Tigers of 2004 were still using analogue (video) technology. Yes, the club were in 2004 paying a fortune for preprocessed reports from Champion Data, this will not be happening in 2005 as we have now embraced the 21st century, about 5 years behind. So whereas other clubs could view and analyse its performances in realtime, the Tiges had to wait until a Wednesday after the game to do their reviews. Anyway that was then, this is now. This new software doesn't take us ahead of our opposition, it merely brings us up with our opposition.

I spoke to Kingy when he sat down next to me. He spoke about what mb64 said, as did Matt Hornsby. Lutt was there too. Both nice fellows as all PREnders should be. Matty Rogers spoke a bit to everyone without saying much except about the 200 games bit, but there wasn't any bitterness with him. He warmly embraced Greg afterwards.

When watching Brian Royal doing his demonstration, Steven Wright came in and sat down with me. He was great, spent about 20 minutes telling me about all the structural changes that had taken place at the club. He is very confident about the turnaround in the fundamental issues at the club that have already taken place. I broached him about delivering an interim mid-season financial report for all members on a yearly basis, given that the annual accounts come out 2 -4 weeks before the AGM.

Greg was great. He's a fantastic PR man ontop of his football administering qualities. Came up straight away, shook my hand, patted me on the back. All those things that make someone feel good. He did that with most people.

The only real drop kick there was Cameron. You know the one who likes calling me "Sunshine". He was staring at me with this grim look on his face the whole night. Never came up and said hello. He got even angrier when both Steven and Greg came up to talk to me. And Cameron is currently the VP. You'd think he would have learnt something about PR after last year. But as they say, "Once a dropkick, always a dropkick." God help us if he ever weasels his way into the presidency.

Overall I had a very good night. It was one of the best value football nights I have been too. The committee at Club80 are very personable making you feel at home. Some of the supporters were a bit standoffish. One who I was sitting near just looked at me and shook his head. That didn't worry me. The big people with the big picture came up and made me very welcome. For $50 I had a great Greek meal and was entertained by all of the above. I entreat as many of you as possible to join Club80 as an enormous value add-on to your membership. I look forward to attending many Club80 dinners in the future.

Can someone elaborate a bit more on the new software?

I posted a couple of weeks ago that Greg Hutchison was at the club trying to flog a new statistical software package from the company he is now working for (see post below). Is this the packge we bought?. If so, that's funny because he was one of the blokes who was against purchasing it the previous few years. ;D

Funny you mention the new computers Ian Redpath, because last year's Football Manager is now working for the company that develops software on various player statistics and was at the club the other day trying to flog it to them.
Not sure whether we bought it.

Harry said:
Can someone elaborate a bit more on the new software?

Since Brian Royal did say that everyone else has it, I don't mind revealing details of it. It is supplied by the Pro-Edge IT company. It is called Prowess.

Basically it works on 2 levels.

First
All games are captured on DVD. The DVD is loaded onto the computer and with it, any passages of play can be bookmarked and referenced to a particular field, ie by player, or by goal, inside50, etc. So at the end of a quarter, in the huddle the coach can say reference all inside50s by Brown that resulted in goals, and within a matter of seconds this will replay on screen. Very impressive. This can be networked to the bench, to the players room at the club, etc. So when Stafford comes off the ground for a rest he can immediately view his last 10 ruck contests, etc.

Second
At the games a data entry person is entering data onto a keyboard, or probably more like a McDonalds' cash register. Such details as K (kick), 4 (player), G (goal). These are automatically processed so in realtime any of the coaching staff can draw off very simple to complicated reports.

This is new technology to Richmond. It is not new technology to other clubs as said by Brian. That's why it is no big secret.

The public domain for this is Pro-Stats that you may have seen me refer to previously. It was Pro-Stats that I recommended  when I was asked for free statistical info late last year.

The URL is:
http://www.prowess.com.au/pro-stats/

I have been using it regularly for the last 2 years. It is very good statistical reporting. I recommend you log onto it now and have a good look. Of course, the version the Tigers are paying for is alot more complicated and gives alot more applications than the one avaliable to the public for free.

I also recommend:
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/afl_index.html

Its name is misleading, it should be changed for marketing purposes. But it is good on AFL stuff and I use it often.

Dissapointing,but not suprising we are the last to get this software.

You have to question the leadership when clubs like North have had it for years but apparantly we can't afford it.

Hopefully this is the first step in a new ,more proffessional Richmond.

evo said:
Dissapointing,but not suprising we are the last to get this software.

You have to question the leadership when clubs like North have had it for years but apparantly we can't afford it.

Hopefully this is the first step in a new ,more proffessional Richmond.
As well as being last in line with this software my understanding is Club80 will be paying for it on an ongoing basis,obviously with each function more will be paid off.I believe the coast is around $30,000.