Consumer Affairs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Consumer Affairs

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Contract law protections cover any transaction where offer, consideration, and acceptance are made. If you make false claims in a private sale, you are as liable to prosecution under Victorian Law as is Coles or Penfold Holden.

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
Tiger74 said:
Contract law protections cover any transaction where offer, consideration, and acceptance are made. If you make false claims in a private sale, you are as liable to prosecution under Victorian Law as is Coles or Penfold Holden.

Same up here in NSW and ACT

I have been in sales for 29years and honesty is the best policy - why? because once you get a customer through honesty that customer will always keep coming back to you. And as everybody in business will tell you it is easier to sell to a current customer than it is to get a new prospective buyer and then sell the same product to him/her.

I asked a well respected American billionaire one night over a business dinner what is his secret to business - his answer - integrity - when you do business with a client always do it in such a way that the client will want to do business with you again and again and again and...........

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
What do you guys think about companies that profit from Govt contracts awarded during war time? eg. halliburtons in the USA.

Is that good business or is it unethical?

Likewise Krupps during WW2 profited greatly from the NAZI regime.

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Six Pack said:
What do you guys think about companies that profit from Govt contracts awarded during war time? eg. halliburtons in the USA.

Is that good business or is it unethical?

Likewise Krupps during WW2 profited greatly from the NAZI regime.

no issue making a profit, big issue profiteering

barty boy

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 16, 2006
If Halliburton won the contract fairly through tender ,then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.However if it was won through political wheeling and dealing then that is a big NO as far as I'm concerned.

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
barty boy said:
If Halliburton won the contract fairly through tender ,then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.However if it was won through political wheeling and dealing then that is a big NO as far as I'm concerned.

don't forget the profiteering. Halliburton has received a number of allegation of dubious invoicing practices. Millions have been returned to the Fed Govt following audits.

barty boy

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 16, 2006
Sorry tiger 74,I should have paid closer attention to the initial post ,regarding profiteering.Profiteering is also a big NO.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
The aspect that gets up my nose here is the power wielded by the two major supermarket chains and the two department stores.

They keep pushing and pushing until the little supplier ends up broke
Unconscionable conduct IMO

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Michael said:
The aspect that gets up my nose here is the power wielded by the two major supermarket chains and the two department stores.
They keep pushing and pushing until the little supplier ends up broke
Unconscionable conduct IMO

Business isn't supposed to be all butterflies and fairy-floss, Michael.

Large chains are in it to make money for shareholders, and that is their obligation.
Shareholders invest their hard-earned into these companies, and these people also need money to put food on the table and to pay their mortgages....just like the little supplier needs to.

But at the end of the day, the little suppliers are competitors....and as long as the big boys abide by the ACCC laws, then they have every right to push and push their competitors out.

Also, some of these smaller operations owned by families make a good lot of money selling their businesses to the big boys.
The company I work for has taken over dozens and dozens of smaller businesses.

Do you think the small business people who started up Yahoo, Hotmail, or YouTube are crying that big businesses like Microsoft bought them out?
I don't think so.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Livers
Im not talking about the small guy that's in it to build a business and then sell to a competitor.

Im talking about the small guy that gets screwed so much by the big retailers, that he basically ends up out of business.

Yes I understand that this is business, it just gets up my nose

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
School Canteens!!

What do posters reckon about this old chestnut?

Should they be allowed to sell softdrinks, dimmies, chips etc to the kiddies, or should they provide healthy alternatives?

If they don't sell what the kids really want should they be forced to change or should parents be allowed to rock up at lunchtime with a bag of maccas?

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Six Pack said:
School Canteens!!
What do posters reckon about this old chestnut?
Should they be allowed to sell softdrinks, dimmies, chips etc to the kiddies, or should they provide healthy alternatives?
If they don't sell what the kids really want should they be forced to change or should parents be allowed to rock up at lunchtime with a bag of maccas?

If the school wants to only sell "healthy food" then that is their business......but schools shouldn't have the right to stop parents giving their kids biscuits and chocolate to take to school, or a bag of Maccas at lunchtime.

It's getting too much like a communist country with this sort of goings on.

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
Liverpool said:
If the school wants to only sell "healthy food" then that is their business......but schools shouldn't have the right to stop parents giving their kids biscuits and chocolate to take to school, or a bag of Maccas at lunchtime.

I certainly think it is my business what the canteen at my childrens' school sells. I see no reason to encourage the fat frenzy that is feeding the obesity/diabetes epidemic in this country by selling these foods to children at their places of education from the age of 5 years old.

However, I do agree that parents have every right to send their kids to school with biscuits and chocolate or drop off the dreaded Maccas. Such things should be discouraged by the school though.

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:

You surprise me Liv, supporting buying Maccas. This means the kids are allowed to LEAVE the school grounds, which I understood is still prohibited in most schools. If parents want to fatten up their kids fine, but schools should not be encouraging the process by allowing kids to leave school grounds or by selling junk food in the canteen.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
School canteens have been selling junk food for decades so why is it that obesity in children has only come to public attention in recent years? I think childhood obesity has more to do with lack of physical exercise (due to video games, etc) than the food sold at school canteens.

As for the Maccas at lunch time, what do others think about possible security problems regarding a number of people hanging around schools during lunch time?

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
1eyedtiger said:
School canteens have been selling junk food for decades so why is it that obesity in children has only come to public attention in recent years? I think childhood obesity has more to do with lack of physical exercise (due to video games, etc) than the food sold at school canteens.

As for the Maccas at lunch time, what do others think about possible security problems regarding a number of people hanging around schools during lunch time?

Dont forget change in parents making lunch, when I was a kid most kids brown bagged it. These days.....

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tiger74 said:
when I was a kid most kids brown bagged it.

My kids pink and blue and green plastic lunchboxed it with a lunch order on Monday's if they wanted. They usually preferred a packed lunch anyway.

ssstone

the mongrel plumber,and the heir apparent
Aug 11, 2006
ararat
the problem isnt the food its the lack of exercise.my kids arent allowed to ride their bikes to school due to "duty of care".schools should be able to sell what they want in a canteen.my kids get a healthy lunch packed everyday ,and i dont see why they shouldnt be able to have a four'n'twenty,followed by a cpl of dimmys washed down with a sunnyboy every cpl of weeks if thats what they want..the food nazis have forgotten about balance..and i feel for the fat people of the world when noone smokes and its socially acceptable to vilify fatties like it is smokers,cause its starting allready

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
ssstone said:
the problem isnt the food its the lack of exercise.my kids arent allowed to ride their bikes to school due to "duty of care".schools should be able to sell what they want in a canteen.my kids get a healthy lunch packed everyday ,and i dont see why they shouldnt be able to have a four'n'twenty,followed by a cpl of dimmys washed down with a sunnyboy every cpl of weeks if thats what they want..the food nazis have forgotten about balance..and i feel for the fat people of the world when noone smokes and its socially acceptable to vilify fatties like it is smokers,cause its starting allready

I have no issue with them bring it into the school, I just dont think schools should be making money off making kids fat.