Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
We shouldn't be getting haircuts at all.
Why did the Cabinet overturn the 30min decision despite medical advice to the contrary?
:bash

i lost it when i heard that. people can cut their own hair. i have an old pair of clippers i'll use when i need it.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Case count excluding China (updated 11:30pm)

468,960 cases
21,595 deaths (4.60%)
20,003 severe (4%)
373,249 mild (80%)
54,113 recovered (12%)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
What I really don't get is the leniency of fines for not self isolating. $1000? The fine for running into the MCG is over $11K. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

They had a few advantages having been close to SARS previously. And they acted early. It appears they test everyones temperature. And healthcare related to the virus is free. But there are consequences (fines/penalties) for doing the wrong thing.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Shareholders of said companies. Utilities have been ripping off people for a long time.
It will most likely be the employees of said companies that will be cut to reduce costs. These companies can't afford to have the shareholders take the hit, their share prices have already plummeted and their debt costs have risen as a result. If they still can't make this work, then they will have to declare bankruptcy, which will reduce supply and increase prices as a result.

And who do you imagine the shareholders are? Plenty will be retired folk through their super funds, so now grandma and grandpa will have less income.

• Sad

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It will most likely be the employees of said companies that will be cut to reduce costs. These companies can't afford to have the shareholders take the hit, their share prices have already plummeted and their debt costs have risen as a result. If they still can't make this work, then they will have to declare bankruptcy, which will reduce supply and increase prices as a result.

And who do you imagine the shareholders are? Plenty will be retired folk through their super funds, so now grandma and grandpa will have less income.

The whole utility industry needs an overhaul. These companies won't be offloading staff, utilities remains as an essential service. Half their support centres are overseas anyway. They make too much money. Essential services shouldn't be profit focused. Super funds can move money to other companies, that's what they do therefore protecting the grandmas and grandpas you talk about. If anyone can afford to provide help at this time it's utility companies.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It appears they test everyones temperature.

Seems many of the Asian companies have implemented this strategy. Wonder why we couldn't have done the same, at the very least at airports and shipping ports. One thing you notice in places like Philippines and Vietnam, a lot of shopping malls are manned by guards who check bags and often IDs on entry so not hard for them to extend that to temperature checks.

When shopping with the wife my temperature is usually fine on the way in but very high by the time we leave.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
The whole utility industry needs an overhaul. These companies won't be offloading staff, utilities remains as an essential service. Half their support centres are overseas anyway. They make too much money. Essential services shouldn't be profit focused. Super funds can move money to other companies, that's what they do therefore protecting the grandmas and grandpas you talk about. If anyone can afford to provide help at this time it's utility companies.
There are plenty of staff they can offload. People working on renewable energy projects for example. If you don't want essential services to be profit focused, then perhaps you might want to take a look at Venezuela. Moving money to other companies would involve less yield + more fees and by the time they do it the share prices of the utilities will have taken another clip, so same result, less money for grandma and grandpa.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
There are plenty of staff they can offload. People working on renewable energy projects for example. If you don't want essential services to be profit focused, then perhaps you might want to take a look at Venezuela. Moving money to other companies would involve less yield + more fees, so same result, less money for grandma and grandpa.

Sorry your argument doesn't stack up. I'm not sure you know how super funds work. They reevaluate and alter their holdings all the time, it's part of the process. Super funds are going to continue to be hit hard whichever way you look at it and restructuring holdings will be happening even more so as we speak.

Utilities can still be profitable. There are actually state run utilities right now in some states. Others are privatised, some 50 percent internationally owned. Your Venezuela example is just not pertinent. Utilities should absolutely do their part in easing the plight of Australians right now. Every large organisation in a position to do so should be.

Last edited:

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
This aint stopping/slowing for a good 12 months until a vaccine comes out are leysy's thoughts/fears.

Am obviously no professor but ILHO only other way is Full shutdown for four to six inc ALL essentials probably including medical. :(

Just cant see another way to the two above.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
This aint stopping/slowing for a good 12 months until a vaccine comes out are leysy's thoughts/fears.

Am obviously no professor but ILHO only other way is Full shutdown for four to six inc ALL essentials probably including medical. :(

Just cant see another way to the two above.

You can have a full 4-6 week shutdown which should identify remaining pockets of the virus. You are right that emergency services still exposed and they would still need some level of segregation from society.

There isn't one good way out of this without a vaccine / treatment, so people need to understand that someone somewhere is going to be put out. I think it makes more sense for society to go the full shutdown and then deal with those that remain sick at the end of that period. The theory would be that the spreaders (for lack of a better word) would not be spreading after that and the pockets of sickness would have all been flushed out. This was the China method but they did not close the borders so starting to get imported cases again.

I think at the very least the chance of overseas travel is 0% for at least 12 months as countries get control over their Domestic transmission.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Sorry your argument doesn't stack up. I'm not sure you know how super funds work. They reevaluate and alter their holdings all the time, it's part of the process. Super funds are going to be hit hard whichever way you look at it and restructuring holdings will be happening even more so as we speak.

Utilities can still be profitable. There are actually state run utilities right now in some states. Others are privatised, some 50 percent internationally owned. Your Venezuela example is just not pertinent. Utilities should absolutely do their part in easing the plight of Australians right now. Every large organisation in a position to do so should be.
Having to move a position in company A to company B involves costs, you can't just pretend this doesn't exist. You can't just white wash the whole issue facing super either, your advocacy of price floors will lead to these outcomes directly.

You said you don't want utilities to be profit focused. If they aren't focused on this, then they will for sure go bankrupt unless taken over by the government in which case the tax payer will fund the losses. If you want utilities to help, then you should look to reducing the burden on them by the government's myriad of regulations so they can reduce their costs.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It appears they test everyones temperature.

In Singapore, from very early on all ports, airports, office buildings, hospitals, clubs brought out the temper scanners to scan people as they entered. On top of that you have to fill out a form every time you enter declaring your recent activity to help with contact tracing.

They have now released an app for your phones that track what other people have been near you in the event you become infected, your phone can reveal who you have been in close contact with.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Even if we manage to contain this the borders will have to be closed for a long time.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
There are plenty of staff they can offload. People working on renewable energy projects for example. If you don't want essential services to be profit focused, then perhaps you might want to take a look at Venezuela. Moving money to other companies would involve less yield + more fees and by the time they do it the share prices of the utilities will have taken another clip, so same result, less money for grandma and grandpa.

You're nothing if not predictable Gia. :rolleyes: