Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I'd spoken to friends about the possibility of using vacant hotels to put people in quarantine coming from outside of Australia. Makes a lot of sense and sustains some revenue into the hotels industry in a time when they don't have any. Protects all of society and will help the hotels industry.

I won't be critical that it could have happened before but happy that it is going on now. Not sure if this is an Andrews thing or if its a National thing.

Can't be critical. There isn't any rule book to follow with this and whom ever was Prime Minister would be making it up as they go. One problem is that any measure put in place will take 10 days to see effects as it is at least this time before someone knows they have this virus for sure (and many won't even know at all). Another is all the advice from medical people the media love putting up advising to go into total lockdown. Yes that is correct from a medical perspective but does not take into consideration the economic perspective.

The Government is trying to walk a knifes edge here in stopping the fast spread so our medical people and resources can cope and also setting the country up to rebound quickly.

There will be plenty of time for review and critical assessment sometime in the future but right now everybody needs to do their part.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Can't be critical. There isn't any rule book to follow with this and whom ever was Prime Minister would be making it up as they go. One problem is that any measure put in place will take 10 days to see effects as it is at least this time before someone knows they have this virus for sure (and many won't even know at all). Another is all the advice from medical people the media love putting up advising to go into total lockdown. Yes that is correct from a medical perspective but does not take into consideration the economic perspective.

The Government is trying to walk a knifes edge here in stopping the fast spread so our medical people and resources can cope and also setting the country up to rebound quickly.

There will be plenty of time for review and critical assessment sometime in the future but right now everybody needs to do their part.

I think their medical approach, bar a bit of mixed messaging has been fairly good. Could have been very good had they been a bit more clearer, I am still astounded about the hairdressers. Even today saying don't go to the beach (even if you have the recommended 4m2 each) but you can still go and have somehow touching your hair / face for a couple of hours to do your hair etc.

From the economy / stimulus perspective I'm still very critical.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We shouldn't be getting haircuts at all.
Why did the Cabinet overturn the 30min decision despite medical advice to the contrary?
:bash
Government and the public obviously think getting a haircut n a dash of colour is seriously important to feeling good about ones self. Way more important than any crappy old coroner virus, so passe after months on the front page.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I'm quite upset I couldn't still get my nails done. I did tell them that I'd wear a mask and gloves.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Government and the public obviously think getting a haircut n a dash of colour is seriously important to feeling good about ones self. Way more important than any crappy old coroner virus, so passe after months on the front page.
Got to look nice while working from home:confused:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Apparently still 2300 aussies on cruise ships. I'm actually shocked how many people still went on cruises during March. Surely the risks were evident.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
The whole utility industry needs an overhaul. These companies won't be offloading staff, utilities remains as an essential service. Half their support centres are overseas anyway. They make too much money. Essential services shouldn't be profit focused. Super funds can move money to other companies, that's what they do therefore protecting the grandmas and grandpas you talk about. If anyone can afford to provide help at this time it's utility companies.
Did you somehow miss all the red ink throughout all the worlds stock markets over the last few weeks? Every where the super funds have our money has had the *smile* kicked out of it.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Did you somehow miss all the red ink throughout all the worlds stock markets over the last few weeks? Every where the super funds have our money has had the **** kicked out of it.

Well yes that's what I said in my first post in this argument. Maybe read through the whole argument so you comprehend what we're talking about and then come back to me.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Apparently still 2300 aussies on cruise ships. I'm actually shocked how many people still went on cruises during March. Surely the risks were evident.

Early March there were only 30 cases in Australia and no deaths. We can see how blase people were in the first half of March so it doesn't surprise me that some decided to cruise. I certainly wouldn't have even thought about travelling overseas.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Early March there were only 30 cases in Australia and no deaths. We can see how blase people were in the first half of March so it doesn't surprise me that some decided to cruise. I certainly wouldn't have even thought about travelling overseas.

Probably thought they'd be safer on a cruise, away from the general population. Reckon the cruise companies weren't offering refunds either

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think quarantining people arriving from overseas could have been done weeks ago. There are a lot of unforseen situations and it is not easy to deal with this situation, but that was one call a lot of people were talking about weeks ago.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Well yes that's what I said in my first post in this argument. Maybe read through the whole argument so you comprehend what we're talking about and then come back to me.
So then where the hell are all these companies the super funds can simply shift their Trillions too? Unless someone's doing some seriously fancy manipulating n maneuvering the whole system has tanked n the super funds are merely trying to keep the losses to a minimum.

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Where about to go into lock down here they have even closed the bottle shops ..but no cases here yet ..but there are cases in countries around us esp Zim and SA .. Yep my wifey stuck in Melboune atm to a least early June .. no flights .. How is the political situation there .. how are the government and opposition doing .. helping ? This is the time they need to shine . Government here are doing a good job atm and showing leadership . They have gotten on to this quickly as in early January . You can see a lot of planing as been done . Esp with food supplies and informing the public in a real but positive way . Unlike South Africa who are doing badly just being reactive and took awhile to do anything . Very impressed with the Government here this seems to be President Mokgweetsi Masisi's finest hour.

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It has me baffled as well.
The Diamond Princess passengers were first infected at the beginning of February.
I'd say that people who had upcoming cruises would probably have wanted to cancel, but would not have got a refund from the cruise liner companies.
Their decision to go ahead with their respective cruises is a horrific tragedy for so many.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
So then where the hell are all these companies the super funds can simply shift their Trillions too? Unless someone's doing some seriously fancy manipulating n maneuvering the whole system has tanked n the super funds are merely trying to keep the losses to a minimum.

For one, I doubt funds have trillions of dollars in our Australian utility companies. AGL marketcap for example is $10bill. Secondly there are many types of funds, many wouldn't even have Australian utilities in their portfolio. Three, they are always rebalancing. That's what they do. Four, why should 50% profits of one particularly large provider go overseas during a time in need? Gia's argument was trivial in context of the main argument.. The argument of Gia was that these energy companies that make billions but pay little tax shouldn't help out with bills to Australians currently in desperate need because it might hurt the grandpas and grandmas super. Anyway glad you brought it all up again so we can revisit the same thing over and over again.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Surely the lesson so far is that by the time it appears to be a political imperitive it's too late?

It's a three-pronged battle - medical, economic, cultural. It will be difficult to get people to comply with a full lockdown for very long, and the government doesn't want to be fighting its own citizens by enforcing harsh penalties. At this stage I would say very tentatively that we have our noses in front.

UP4Kgez.jpg

Past few days have been +328, +370, +380, +374, +361, but the spread compared to the previous day has been +24%, +22%, +19%, +15%, +13%. Chart is showing faint signs of leaning to the right and forming a parabola, which is what we want. When that happens the trick will be to maintain discipline, as there will be a long tail on the other side.