Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Sorry to hear ,

im a self employed tradie with a good reputation ,I cant even remember the last time I ran out of work, so I havent been sacked as such , but the work is drying up , people are understandably not spending, and I dont think I will be able to leave the house soon to go to work anyway even if i wanted to ,

My wife works at a hospital, that will be essential service for sure , im hoping that will help to get us through , but am concerned for the stress and health risks she may be put under, her ward is a covid 19 ward ,

Such strange times and it happened so quickly before our eyes without a lot of warning

-I’m deciding whether I should email the CEO and let my feelings on behalf of many 100’s of staff who lost their jobs, have bills to pay, mouths to feed who just got treated so poorly.

Mate, as upsetting as this is, don't burn bridges now. If you're in an industry that is borderline essential, it'll be one of the first to put people back in work.

Reactions: 3 users
Mate, as upsetting as this is, don't burn bridges now. If you're in an industry that is borderline essential, it'll be one of the first to put people back in work.
I agree. Years ago I was given a great piece of advice which was then called the bottom drawer test. When you want to send a rocket to someone write it and put in a bottom drawer. Pull it out 48 hours later and see if you still want to send it. I have given that advice over and over again over the years.
It may make people feel better and many times it is totally justified but burning bridges quite often only creates one loser and that’s you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Probably thought they'd be safer on a cruise, away from the general population. Reckon the cruise companies weren't offering refunds either
Yep. My wife and I were on the Ovation of The Seas which sailed March 12 from Sydney. We are currently in self isolation until next Thursday morning.
No refunds were being offered by Royal Caribbean without cause. Constant communication was being sent to us to advise that it was safe to travel. Bans were placed on those that had been to or passed through all of the then travel alert countries within 14 days and holders of certain countries passports. These had their money fully refunded. Every passenger was required to fill in signed health declarations prior to boarding and were temperature tested as they boarded. We heard afterwards that they bounced a fair number of people before boarding. If you failed the temperature check you had to go and have a health screening.
Staff were seen constantly wandering around the ship with buckets of sanitising agent wiping down every sIngle surface including in cabins. This was done 3 times each day.

On our ship It was a traveller from Canada that brought the virus on board without symptom. He apparently was viral for the last two days of the cruise. We didn’t dock anywhere due to the cyclone in the North stopping us sailing to New Caledonia and Vanuatu, and New Zealand closed borders the night before we were to arrive. We sailed across the Tasman and then slowly back again for a six day cruise that was supposed to be eleven. Several announcements were made on the way back and on the day of disembarking that border force were not requiring us to self isolate upon arrival. We simply stepped off the ship as it was considered a domestic cruise. Royal Caribbean paid for our rescheduled airfare and overnight accomodation if required and offered a full refund or 125% off another cruise up until the end of 2021. We flew home to the GC that same night.

The failing in this lies with NSW Health/Govt. We received an email from Royal Caribbean on behalf of NSW Health on Saturday, three days after disembarking, informing us of a case of Covid on board and the requirement to self isolate for 14 days. No follow-up from NSW Health took place to check if we had received this notice and were following this advice. Epic fail.

GC Health sent us an email this past Wednesday, one week after disembarking, - so NSW Health had all required details and had passed them on - with a pre-filled legal declaration form attached under the Public Health Act with my name address and date of birth stating that I understand the voluntary quarantine requirements. The form was signed by an Emergency Health officer under a declaration that the contents of the form have been explained and that the person understands their quarantine obligation. I was simply required to reply to the email, say yes that I understood, and to provide a phone number for contact. Epic Fail.

Now Saturday, no follow-up, no check, no text or phone call. Could be out wandering around as some people likely are as per Gia’s let the people do what they want attitude. The only way that this will stop spreading is for everyone to do the right thing. Myself included.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
So like many Australians and people around the world , I’ve become one of unemployed .

Really gutted that I thought that our jobs were considered an ‘essential service’ but that all changed last night.

Two colleagues called me last night and said we have been ‘ stood down’ effective immediately.

How work did this was via email, yes email.

- Not having the decency to meet with staff through the week to discuss the situation , maybe offer some sort of alternatives

- The new term used. Stood down! What does that actually mean? Another word for sacked’?

- Not offering redundancies to save $ but directing us to MyGov website.

-Telling is that if things improve we are valued and we will return to work.

-To access your leave, if you have, accrued Long Service Leave ( which I fall short ) and unpaid leave.

-Gutless , spineless , soulless decision without consultation via email and according to our CEO a difficult decision to make and apologised to the staff that it came to this. A decision which they would have been in the pipeline as no staff were taking their incentive ( take 4 days leave and we will give an extra 1 day)!

- They have kept staff that have been there less than a year, some a few weeks, yet got rid of its most experienced people!All got to do with $ as they would have had to pay these people more so it’s easier to keep them on than us!.

-My Wifes industry is hanging on by a thread so it would be a test of many things to keep us going.

-Third time this has happened. Last time my first marriage ended, lost everything and my second marriage now I thought would bring many people joy but the anger, frustration, resentment I’m feeling at how this occurred through no fault of us Australians & many people around the world who have also lost loved ones to this virus.

-I’m glad that my mum is safe and she is close to me if she needs me. I’ve had to self isolate myself from her because I couldn’t trust others at work, shopping centres doing the right thing.

-I’m fortunate I have a gym set up at home that I can exercise as I will have more time on my hands. I will become a full time chauffeur for my wife taking her and picking her up from work.

-I’m deciding whether I should email the CEO and let my feelings on behalf of many 100’s of staff who lost their jobs, have bills to pay, mouths to feed who just got treated so poorly. Maybe he and his fat mates at head office could do the right thing like many out there have done and take a pay cuts. Doubt they will.

If you hear a crazy guy on 3AW this week it’s crazy me!

-Got sick when my first marriage collapsed and lost it all.Took out all my super last time and it has taken me many many years to build that up and now I’m faced to do it again to take care of my family .

-There are people worse off than me. Sure is! There are staff close to retirement who are stuffed now.

Waiting over and out !

THANK YOU CHINA
Really sorry for you waiting.

I’d like to relate a story for you.

My dad got laid off with 1000 other draftsmen in the early seventies. Recently married, wife at home, new baby at home (me), a new mortgage they couldn’t afford even when employed. On being told he was sacked, he thanked them for the opportunity he had when employed and the experience he had gained. Took his cheque and left. They contacted him shortly after with a job offer st another site.

Might not work for you and won’t make you feel much better, but has a much better chance of leading to something than telling the boss to get rooted.

All the best, hoping things work out for you.

Reactions: 5 users
Victoria's reported 111 new cases in the past 24 hours (685 total). Up considerably on the past 2 days which had gone slightly backwards. Almost double.

I reckon that is a function of increased testing. Vic has been behind NSW and Queensland in the number tested. Or perhaps the previous couple of days of backwards was due to the insufficient testing.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. Years ago I was given a great piece of advice which was then called the bottom drawer test. When you want to send a rocket by someone write it and put in a bottom drawer. Pull it out 48 hours later and see if you still want to send it. I have given that advice over and over again over the years.
It may make people feel better and many times it is totally justified but burning bridges quite often only creates one loser and that’s you.

Yes great advice. The only place I don't use this advice is here on Hotcopper :p

Italy and Spain are sad, horribly sad outcomes that dont look like stopping.

And the USA is hurtling towards a same scenario
Reports of cases in Detroit where something like 1 in 4 people live in poverty, and over 120,000 people have no water.
Water shutoff when bills went unpaid.
Think about how to keep healthy and avoid viruses with no water. No hand washing. Scary.
It may be catastrophic in some American cities

The US will be a catastrophe. Right now from what I can see they've had 1,700 deaths. Their total deaths so far per million population us 5. Italy's is 151. If US get anywhere near the Italy figure simple maths tells you you're talking at least 51,000 deaths. In New York city reports are that at least 67 nurses have been infected and 400 are showing symptoms. They're already being massively over-worked, what happens when they have to isolate and the numbers keep going up? Trump's response? Let's aim to get people back to work by Easter.

• Sad
I don't buy for a minute that the curve is flattening and we are on top of things.

Being better than Italy, Spain, UK and US is hardly the benchmark beating we should be aiming for

I don't buy for a minute that the curve is flattening and we are on top of things.

Being better than Italy, Spain, UK and US is hardly the benchmark beating we should be aiming for
They are two different things. The curve is slowly turning, the growth rate is slowing but we are definitely not on top of things.
We are not near where we can even be cautiously optimistic that we will avoid the nightmare scenario of refusing treatment for certain groups of people because we can’t meet the demand.
My own view is that given the growth rate is slowing we should hit it hard now. Lock us down for at least a month.

Bit of a worry, 400 new cases already today with the % increase on the previous day set to climb for the first time in a week.

Do the right thing.

They are two different things. The curve is slowly turning, the growth rate is slowing but we are definitely not on top of things.
We are not near where we can even be cautiously optimistic that we will avoid the nightmare scenario of refusing treatment for certain groups of people because we can’t meet the demand.
My own view is that given the growth rate is slowing we should hit it hard now. Lock us down for at least a month.

I tend to agree with the short term lock down theory. I have been resistant to it but now I think the time is right. I understand it will have immediate negative impact on business and jobs and that is extremely regretful. But I also think that the long term impact will be worse if we don’t take the short term pain now.

Bloody hell what an horrendous situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Bit of a worry, 400 new cases already today with the % increase on the previous day set to climb for the first time in a week.

Do the right thing.
Yeah I can not *smile* believe those selfish imbeciles who decided it was fine to go to St. Kilda beach yesterday. Or the selfish clowns congregating on the pier at Half Moon Bay last night.

What the *smile* is wrong with people?? :mad:

Stupid, selfish or most likely both.

Reactions: 4 users
Just waiting for the cumulative effect of the now 171 infected people from the Ruby Princess, that were allowed to roam free, to kick in:mad:

Last edited:
First Prince Charles Boris Johnson has tested positive,
Just waiting for the cumulative effect of the now 171 infected people from the Ruby Princess, that were allowed to roam free, to kick in:mad:
It stinks to high heaven the decision to let the passengers disembark, a day before the COVID-19 test were known.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
I've dug out the Club lock and put it on the car for the first time in ten years. Beats me who'd want to knock off my old ute, but I can't afford to be without it.
A lot more beggars on the streets now. These on the spot fines are also gonna make things worse especially at $1600 max. I can only see depressed expressions on nearly every person I pass in public. Anxiety is high. These fines will be absolute hypocrisy if Andrews can't even get someone like Metro to regulate properly. As I said in previous post, an idiot walking around Southern Cross stations for a period of at least 10 minutes smoking while the staff (and PSOs at other stations) stand around like statues.

It's the cases in blue and grey that are important. If that gets out of control then we are in more trouble. Right now it's being contained reasonably well, doesn't mean we can drop the ball. At least half of the deaths are from cruises and most others nursing homes. Those cruise boats coming back and people disembarking freely a bit of a kick in the head. Never should have been allowed to happen considering we know how quickly the virus has spread on boats all over the place.

1585371266689.png