Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or on the politics thread.
Like many here i have plenty of time on my hands and am watching more tv than usual. Saw Trump. Just when i thought he couldn't be any more of a stupid *******.........
The CDC has recommended people wear face masks ( rightly or wrongly). Trump said he won't because "I think wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens,....."
Exactly what Heads of State are leaving their countries at the moment in this pandemic to go to the US, which has the most cases of COVID19 in the world, to visit him?
The real question is, which head of a nation wants to meet with Trump?
What would you even attempt to discuss.? World affairs?

“He/She is doing a great job, a tremendous job. He/She is a nice guy, a great friend, a very great friend. We are working on lots of things together, great things, tremendous things, for our countries. All the experts are saying that. I have the best experts and they all agree with me. Just last week I told the Prime Minister that. Great things, very great things. Not like China. Obama couldn’t do that. None of the experts were saying that about Obama. The Democrats and Fake News media are lying. Nasty, just nasty. Why can’t you focus on the positive. China, China, they aren’t telling the truth. We are doing great things, the best things. Things that only America can do. Tremendous things. I told them and we are working harder than anyone, than any country has ever done.”

What an unfortunate time for the U.S. to have the intellectual equivalent of a jellyfish in charge.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
It's really a cultural thing. Bats are lucky, torturing the animals before eating makes them taste better etc. I'm not one for interfering in other countries' cultures... except when it affects us severely like this. China's gotta change.
You'll also find those wet markets in many other countries of S.E. Asia, so they will have to change as well...but highly unlikely. We can only hope this worldwide catastrophe compels all world leaders to put pressure on these countries to abolish them. I heard that after SARS China did close down their markets for a while then they were allowed to start again. Did I hear that the Wuhan market has opened again or is that just a rumour? We need some positive hope for the future that this type of pandemic won't happen again but I haven't heard any enforceable policies in that direction yet. We can only hope and, for those so inclined...pray.

Reactions: 1 users
The real question is, which head of a nation wants to meet with Trump?
What would you even attempt to discuss.? World affairs?

“He/She is doing a great job, a tremendous job. He/She is a nice guy, a great friend, a very great friend. We are working on lots of things together, great things, tremendous things, for our countries. All the experts are saying that. I have the best experts and they all agree with me. Just last week I told the Prime Minister that. Great things, very great things. Not like China. Obama couldn’t do that. None of the experts were saying that about Obama. The Democrats and Fake News media are lying. Nasty, just nasty. Why can’t you focus on the positive. China, China, they aren’t telling the truth. We are doing great things, the best things. Things that only America can do. Tremendous things. I told them and we are working harder than anyone, than any country has ever done.”

What an unfortunate time for the U.S. to have the intellectual equivalent of a jellyfish in charge.

Don’t insult jellyfish intelligence by comparing them to him

It’s estimated that there are 20,000 wild animal/wet markets in China. I can’t put into words how much that angers and disgusts me.
And the filthy markets are still operating, even though they were supposed to have been banned:mad:

Whistleblowers are not tolerated in China, but those markets are:mad:
People got to eat.

I'm sure we could've improvised in some way, but our govts are too dumb. My point has always been that because our figures aren't as disastrous as other countries, we could've had some relief to cope with. Social distancing just seems overly pedantic in some ways. The majority of deaths are from these cruise ships debacle. A Coles near me has started to play around with shoppers treating them like kids where they need to follow the red one way line on the floor.

Have a look other isolated southern latitudes. Low-ish numbers like Aus. I suspect the Aussie numbers are related to strict testing criteria (like the U.S.) so many are just not getting tested. And the fact that it is has just gone from Winter into in Spring in the northern hemisphere so both flu/colds and allergies will have helped this spread. Lots of sneezing and coughing. This virus will still be moving around when Winter hits in Aus. You may well see a second peak of infections when that happens.

Case count excluding China (updated 11:30pm)

1,143,225 cases
63,168 deaths (5.53%)
44,408 severe (4%)
858,792 mild (75%)
176,857 recovered (15%)

Last edited:
These *smile* going to their weekend markets and manly beach are just prolonging it for the rest of us.

These ***** going to their weekend markets and manly beach are just prolonging it for the rest of us.
We need to close the NSW border. Things seem to be tracking quite well in Victoria; the social distancing measures appear to be producing results. But we can not take the foot off the pedal or else it could explode quickly as we’ve seen in Europe and USA.

Those entitled self indulgent wankers in Sydney’s wealthy suburbs think the rules don’t apply to them. Close the *smile* border and let them deal with the consequences of their selfish actions.

the Grand Prix was a complete f'up. as you say the government was rescued by the racing teams in the end.

The cricket was a little earlier, and before there were any, or many cases. the chance of transmission there was minimal.

the biggest error, from my couch in hindsight, was border control. every case has come from overseas, or traced from someone who came from overseas. it shouldnt have been to hard to see what was happening in other countries, and do something to stop it happening here.

Agree (in hindsight) on the borders. You would expect we will be better prepared for the next one.

And NSW is suffering big time from one event - lucky for Victoria Lewis Hamilton had more foresight than Lucky Dan. That's leadership.

in regards to all the politician bashing: the national cabinet - who are making the decisions about CV19 - are split down the middle party wise. so whoever’s puud you wanna pull, or cut off, grow an extra few hands and work it out..

Reactions: 1 user
The wet markets in SE Asia are an issue. But it's not so much the markets but what they sell there. They need to ban selling all the silly things which have supposedly special powers, like bats, pangolin, various bits of tiger etc. Clamp down on that stupidity and I reckon we've got a lot of problems covered, not least an attempt to stop the trade in endangered species.

DS

On this thread there was plenty of Dan Andrews bashing when the GP fiasco happened. It was a bad mistake by both state and federal governments.
Most are saying that since then Dan has been showing good leadership

From what I have seen from here in Europe, almost all govts have reacted slowly and made mistakes at the outset.
This includes China, USA, UK, France, Swiss, Italy
and Australia.
Only a few have reacted quickly and commensurately.

On this thread there was plenty of Dan Andrews bashing when the GP fiasco happened. It was a bad mistake by both state and federal governments.
Most are saying that since then Dan has been showing good leadership

From what I have seen from here in Europe, almost all govts have reacted slowly and made mistakes at the outset.
This includes China, USA, UK, France, Swiss, Italy
and Australia.
Only a few have reacted quickly and commensurately.

Don't know if I'd throw Australia into that bunch. According to stats, China has had 2 deaths per million population, USA 26 (will go much higher), UK 64, France 116, Swiss 77, Italy 254, most is Spain 256. Australia has had 1. Officially Australia has also done more tests per capita than all but the Swiss.

Don't know if I'd throw Australia into that bunch. According to stats, China has had 2 deaths per million population, USA 26 (will go much higher), UK 64, France 116, Swiss 77, Italy 254, most is Spain 256. Australia has had 1. Officially Australia has also done more tests per capita than all but the Swiss.

Taiwan I think as well.

Taiwan I think as well.

I was referring to the list of countries mentioned by Tigerdell, there are others who have done more per capita, particularly smaller ones although Taiwan appears to have performed relatively few tests per capita, at least officially.