Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
But have life expectancies around 10-15 years shorter than the average Japanese man.

My point on youth/corona is that young people are at greater risk from other preventable causes of death than the virus and that the decisions to protect the mostly older and frail will be at a cost. That will be greater suicides in all age brackets. These are horrific choices governments are making. They are not mutually exclusive. Those arguing for longer lockdowns, tighter restrictions, not opening up of business etc should know those choices will cost lives. Just as opening up will cost lives. Which are more important? All those saying every life is important must know this shutdown is saving lives at the cost of lives?

I reckon most wanting more cautious approaches have a job and haven’t been hit financially. I’m still working and in many ways life is “better” for me. Less road traffic, more time with family, more time doing jobs around the house that never get done, less time at the in-laws. There is no downside. But for millions of Australians this is a disaster. And especially young people. They are the least at risk health wise but possibly the most affected. They are the most likely to have had their education interrupted and to have lost their job. Everyone’s worried about the old and frail what about the youth? Not only do they have climate change to deal with now they’ve got a massive debt issue to carry as part of their future.

Perhaps we will get more money spent on mental health as part of the recovery plan (let’s hope so) but I see these posts quoting the rare young person with corona as a little short sighted.
experiences in other countries that have not been 'locked down' have shown huge mortality rates, crashed medical systems and most have ended up in lockdown anyway. many who are worried about opening things back up too soon are worried that it will lead to a spike in cases and further lockdowns, which ultimately will have an even greater impact financially, and the flow on effects of this.

i also worry for all those who at risk if the virus rampages through the community for a long time- we have seen what can happen at an aged care facility- do you think all staff there should remain in lockdown- or do we just accept many deaths in aged cares facilities? many houses that support people with disabilities have also been pretty shut for the last month- and now starting to re-open- should those people living with support just have to remain locked up? and what about those working in those houses?
should those with underlying health conditions that mean they are at great risk need to stay isolated? and their families- including school aged children- or working parents?

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
experiences in other countries that have not been 'locked down' have shown huge mortality rates, crashed medical systems and most have ended up in lockdown anyway. many who are worried about opening things back up too soon are worried that it will lead to a spike in cases and further lockdowns, which ultimately will have an even greater impact financially, and the flow on effects of this.

i also worry for all those who at risk if the virus rampages through the community for a long time- we have seen what can happen at an aged care facility- do you think all staff there should remain in lockdown- or do we just accept many deaths in aged cares facilities? many houses that support people with disabilities have also been pretty shut for the last month- and now starting to re-open- should those people living with support just have to remain locked up? and what about those working in those houses?
should those with underlying health conditions that mean they are at great risk need to stay isolated? and their families- including school aged children- or working parents?

So old lives are worth more than young lives? So it’s too hard for the old or compromised to self isolate and make sacrifices for others but those in low risk categories can just suck it up?

How many extra young people will die as a result of the circumstances they find themselves in now?

We did the right thing with the lockdown hard to argue otherwise but it’s time to get things moving again.

If you don’t think it’s safe to send your child to school dont send them. If you don’t think it’s safe to go back to school to teach don’t go. That choice is available to everyone isn’t it? I am aware of. 2 teachers at the primary school my brother in law is principal at who are not teaching in class as they have the choice. They are teaching remotely and will be when class returns.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
So old lives are worth more than young lives? So it’s too hard for the old or compromised to self isolate and make sacrifices for others but those in low risk categories can just suck it up?

Sounds like a Climate Change debate now

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
No one seems to want to face the reality that the young are being put further into the **** by the preceding generation.

Its a bit like young people striking from school because the planet they inherit is being grandly *smile* by us boomers and gen Xers, but of course on that day scomo said "back to school kids"!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
An excellent article from the age about the WHO and what they did right and what they did wrong. The key point for me is the budget which is woefully inadequate. If we want a real WHO with proper powers and teeth we have to invest in it but somehow we also have to take as much politics out of it as possible. They also had no real visibility of COVID-19 until late December and the horse had just about bolted by then.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/who...-between-china-and-trump-20200509-p54rfx.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012

How many extra young people will die as a result of the circumstances they find themselves in now?

We did the right thing with the lockdown hard to argue otherwise but it’s time to get things moving again.

If you don’t think it’s safe to send your child to school dont send them. If you don’t think it’s safe to go back to school to teach don’t go. That choice is available to everyone isn’t it? I am aware of. 2 teachers at the primary school my brother in law is principal at who are not teaching in class as they have the choice. They are teaching remotely and will be when class returns.

Are those teachers over 70 or with health conditions?

We do not have a choice. We have to be at school.

I guess we could quit.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
No one seems to want to face the reality that the young are being put further into the **** by the preceding generation.

The younger generation only exists thanks to the older generation.

3834191.JPG

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Its like you have copied and pasted this rant a few times and didn't actually read what i wrote.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Are those teachers over 70 or with health conditions?

We do not have a choice. We have to be at school.

I guess we could quit.
Yes, I think that is correct. He said if you have underlying health conditions you cannot be forced to be back in classroom. He didn't mention age as another condition but maybe you have to be over a certain age?

Ultimately at least you have the choice. If you fear for your life why would you go to work?

How many haven't had a choice? A million? More?

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Its like you have copied and pasted this rant a few times and didn't actually read what i wrote.

Unfortunately you didn't address what I wrote in your response. Yes, I understand the risks of reducing restrictions, there are examples everywhere. But your response appears to treat youth as an afterthought. The old and frail take precedence over youth.

Hopefully a huge amount of funds are allocated to mental health in the coming years.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The virus appears to be out of control in Brazil and the government appears to be mirroring the US response.

Over 230,000 infections (now 4th highest global tally) and over 15,000 dead. Nearly 15,000 new cases and over 800 deaths in the latest 24 hour tally.

Very grim over there.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I'm worried about that here. Without restrictions, those 15 Cedar meatworks cases could quickly have become 1500.

The Australian public has done a great job so far, but we do have a tendency to get complacent. Combine that with Morrison's big business masters demanding everyone go back to work, and his ideological opposition to helping people, coming into flu season with Jobkeeper and Jobseeker set to be cut asap if not sooner, it'll be dumb Aussie luck if we don't see a spike in cases. In fact, Morrison has already stated we will, via schools, only a few days after he bravely choked back the crocodile tears he paid the empathy consultant 190,000 taxpayer dollars to advise him to work up.

If everyone continues covering their mouth/nose when they sneeze or cough and continue the handwashing and the 1.5m distancing as best they can, then we will not see a normal flu season. Additional so if everyone gets the flu shot.

Those same measures also reduce the possible second wave of Coronavirus

Our fate is ours to make

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Our fate is ours to make

Everyone needs to tow the line. That's the problem. Between the knobs who think it's a hoax, the anti-vaxxers, through to those who just don't think and treat this as a full return to normality, there will be risk in society.

You just need to look at Cedar Meats, and now Maccas, to see just how quickly you can be caught in another wave. Sadly, many more businesses will go under if they have to close down for a second time. They'd have been better off staying closed longer initially

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Everyone needs to tow the line. That's the problem. Between the knobs who think it's a hoax, the anti-vaxxers, through to those who just don't think and treat this as a full return to normality, there will be risk in society.

You just need to look at Cedar Meats, and now Maccas, to see just how quickly you can be caught in another wave. Sadly, many more businesses will go under if they have to close down for a second time. They'd have been better off staying closed longer initially

Yep, tough choices. But not sure you can state they would be better of staying closed longer initially. I think we need to put our faith in people to do the right thing.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
But not sure you can state they would be better of staying closed longer initially.

Sure I can. At least the F&B industry it means throwing/giving away perishables twice, restocking twice. The whole effort to start business again just to see it closed before any decent revenue comes in to cover the costs of restarting. It's one of the known economic risks of restarting too early

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The virus appears to be out of control in Brazil and the government appears to be mirroring the US response.

Over 230,000 infections (now 4th highest global tally) and over 15,000 dead. Nearly 15,000 new cases and over 800 deaths in the latest 24 hour tally.

Very grim over there.

Read a couple weeks ago that they're burying them five to a grave in the jungle because they can't keep up any other way.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Unfortunately you didn't address what I wrote in your response. Yes, I understand the risks of reducing restrictions, there are examples everywhere. But your response appears to treat youth as an afterthought. The old and frail take precedence over youth.

Hopefully a huge amount of funds are allocated to mental health in the coming years.

I'm not dismissing this, but a fortnight is a decade in carona time. Has been a retreat from this. It was jumped on by politicians wanting to open things up, the US went pretty lecturn-thumpy on it, totally understandable, thats politics, embrace any data that supports your posi, ignore or deny any data that doesn't. I was just reading yesterday that Japan suicide rate has, quote, 'plummeted' as a result of lockdown. Seems a lot of people are liking the break from the rat race and slow time with family.