Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Some US states and the White House have clearly raised the white flag on this issue. Just let the virus do what it does and be damned with it.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It would be helpful if the Vic government would provide more info around the numbers, sure a spike to 75 sounds high, but if they have been testing more its not necessarily that there is a spiralling caseload.

Positive test data versus total testing data would be useful to assess where we are at in Vic. The spike today was expected due to the increased level of testing over the weekend.

There is a lot of info out there, but there is always a lag between finding cases and being able to give an evidence based answer on where the cases originate.

Anyway, in terms of testing and cases, you can find the data here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...w-covid-19-spreads-in-australia/12060704?nw=0

Unfortunately the graphs don't seem to be linkable, go about a third of the way down the page and you can get testing data and just below that tests versus new cases.

For Australia tests and cases are rising.
NSW: recent rise in tests and barely any movement on cases
Vic: big rise in tests and cases
QLD: rise in tests off a low base and no movement in cases.
WA: recent fall in tests but off a high base and cases low but not totally gone.
SA: tests have dropped a little but no cases for a while, tests still at a reasonable level though
ACT: test rate more stable and slightly increasing but no new cases
TAS: tests down a little but from a high base, no new cases.
NT: tests steadily rising but no new cases.

So, everyone is testing but cases are being found in Vic at the moment. Hard to say whether they will increase elsewhere, hard to say if there are undetected outbreaks elsewhere unless people get sick and that leads to testing of those who have been in contact with the sick.

In terms of cases per 100,000 residents Victoria is rising but still lower than Tas and NSW.

0.3% of people tested in Australia have tested positive, Victoria is right on the national average and Tas, NSW and ACT are the only states/territories above this average.

Tests per 100,000 residents are highest in Vic (about 11,500), followed by NSW, National average, Tas, SA, QLD, ACT, WA and NT.

You would have to say, given all that, that Victoria is not doing well at the moment but it would not accord with the evidence to say that similar rates of infection are not happening interstate. Are we unlucky that we have found the infections here, or are the other states getting less new infections? There is evidence we are getting more new infections in Victoria, what is not conclusive is whether there are infections not found elsewhere (not surprising given proving something isn't happening is always hard).

The above is yet another reason not to continue the defunding of the ABC.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Certainly sounds better than contracting it out to the cheapest security contractor.

Why not do this properly and set up a quarantine station, somewhere nice and close to the airport so there is as little travel as possible.

DS
The Sherrif's job now is to collect fines and enforce court penalties isn't it?
Running a quarantine site seems outside their skill set ... to me.
And I wouldn't have given it to a dodgy security firm either but Mikakokis did.
Security in this context is misnomer.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Just to add to this Australia's testing rate is 9,344 per 100,000 people, in the USA it is 92,854 per 1,000,000 people, so very similar although the rates are likely variable between states in the USA, like they are here.

DS

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
The Vietnamese are highly disciplined as a society, and coupled with tighter social control, they've done superbly well. They had one guy (British) in hospital on a ventilator for 64 days or something - he survived. They also have good socially funded healthcare.

This article explains a lot of how they did it - cracked down hard and early before the virus penetrated much. Some things they did we can't do, like using surveillance mechanisms to keep control and taking down hoax postings on social media. Targeted test/trace and quarantine for big numbers of people (in the thousands) if a single positive was found.

Meanwhile in the US the number of deaths is now double the number of US casualties sustained in the entire Vietnam war.
Vietnam 2 USA 0

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Would seem a pretty simple task. Make sure people don't leave quarantine or enter from outside, and don't share cigarettes or lighters with those under quarantine.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

I think that is always what a sheriff has done in our legal system (not a cop like in the USA). But they do seize assets and the like so would have some training (presumably) in dealing with surly individuals.

DS

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
It would be helpful if the Vic government would provide more info around the numbers, sure a spike to 75 sounds high, but if they have been testing more its not necessarily that there is a spiralling caseload.

Positive test data versus total testing data would be useful to assess where we are at in Vic. The spike today was expected due to the increased level of testing over the weekend.

Yeh, hopefully its just the fact that more testing being done in hot spot areas.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
With another 75 cases in Victoria, I wonder how many of them were from asymptomatic people, and how many of them might be false positives.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Some US states and the White House have clearly raised the white flag on this issue. Just let the virus do what it does and be damned with it.
That is all authorities can do when they are faced with a gun-toting entitled population built on selfishness and greed and is so full of flag wavers and a sad underbelly of violent looters. God's own country? Respectful populations are needed to beat COVID.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
That is all authorities can do when they are faced with a gun-toting entitled population built on selfishness and greed and is so full of flag wavers and a sad underbelly of violent looters. God's own country? Respectful populations are needed to beat COVID.

Yeah, culture is a big factor achilles, agree. But the politicisation of the whole issue down partisan lines has made the situation worse, particular in the Red states. They've actually made mask wearing a democrat vs republican issue.

Case in point

EbmQf0EWoAMkQ70

• Haha

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Yeah, culture is a big factor achilles, agree. But the politicisation of the whole issue down partisan lines has made the situation worse, particular in the Red states. They've actually made mask wearing a democrat vs republican issue.

Case in point

EbmQf0EWoAMkQ70
Yep. I think this guy is well on his way to making America great again!!!

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I reckon the way the Americans are going is analogous to going to the drive-in and slashing the seats.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
As I predicted, vague hand-waving.
Purely just a coincidence? 79 today apparently, not good.
Victoria has failed but i dont see you making Trump like comments about Danny the truth teller.
I didnt even know you could get corona virus from routine tesring, but Dan says you can.
Just call it both ways Tiger.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I didnt even know you could get corona virus from routine tesring, but Dan says you can.
Just call it both ways Tiger.

can you give that to me again but in English this time..

I'll take a stab at it anyway. Yeah Victoria has some problems right now but in the grand scheme of Covid19, Australia and Victoria are doing OK. You might have noticed me complimenting all state premiers and Scomo for this.

Dan the Man vs Trump? The US just clocked over 128K deaths, so I won't be paying the Dumpster any compliments, no matter how much you beg.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
can you give that to me again but in English this time..

I'll take a stab at it anyway. Yeah Victoria has some problems right now but in the grand scheme of Covid19, Australia and Victoria are doing OK. You might have noticed me complimenting all state premiers and Scomo for this.

Dan the Man vs Trump? The US just clocked over 128K deaths, so I won't be paying the Dumpster any compliments, no matter how much you beg.
You keep bringing Trump up im just responding in kind.
You cannot be happy with Victoria's situation at the moment. Something went pear shaped a few weeks back.
I suggest that double standards and lack of discipline has caused the spikes.
At the moment Victoria is blaming a select group of large families in very particular suburbs. Victoria is, not people on this site. Not me.
They need to release info on the "under investigation" cases that have been transmitted in the community ASAP.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Yeah Victoria has some problems right now but in the grand scheme of Covid19, Australia and Victoria are doing OK. You might have noticed me complimenting all state premiers and Scomo for this.
I actually didnt notice but as you say you have, credit where its due.
I have elderly parents in country Victoria, personally i think Victoria has failed in the containment of the virus especially after the grand efforts that people committed to at the beginning of the pandemic. Failed because of a lack of respect for the virus and now they are all paying.
Not good enough in my eyes.