Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Vic government announced 41 new cases.

“8 are related to known clusters, 1 is a returned traveller, 13 are from routine testing and 19 are being investigated”

Which is practically useless. It’s baffling people with *smile*.

Stick to a thorough, consistent, useful reporting methodology or you’re going to lose the public completely.
Yes ...when do they tell us the outcome / sourceof those Routine testing ones or the being investigated ones? They only seem to talk about the fresh cases. They can't source all cases in 24 hours but need to keep data feed going.

A running list of active cases with positive test date, suburb of residence, suspected place of transmission, any relationship to other infections, age, hospitalised y/n.

Also a daily tally of tests conducted per suburb.

"13 from routine testing" means absolutely nothing alongside "19 under investigation". These are separate groups: 8 + 1 + 13 + 19 = 41.

At the moment it's a lot of numbers that are difficult to make sense of.
Yes.. Where did the 19 positives come from? People going to their doctor because they had symptoms? What is routine testing? Is it the Carpark sites or people obliged to take tests like hospital workers or AFL players?. Sorry if I sound dumb because I don't know.

Its not conclusive, either way.

The protests in Australia were irresponsible and imprudent. There were other options that would habe eliminated risking more lives.

Victoria is suffering from "something" that changed in the strategy used to contain the virus, maybe the timeline is absolutely a pure coincidence.

I hope time will tell.

More conclusive than no data, where's your data to support your claim?

DS

More conclusive than no data, where's your data to support your claim?

DS
Gday davo.

Pretty sure you are not arguing that 4 protest areas tested with no controls over who is tested makes any sort of conclusion.

But at the moment it does appear that the protesters are immune to the virus regardless of any spike in confirmed numbers.

We are very Vic and US focussed on here. The first obvious but We have forgotten other places have this thing too
Europe... They have some very positive trends after their horrible first couple of months.

Austria might be illustrative for us....had a 6 week phase from start (mid March) to peak n(several hundred new cases a day) and back to under a hundred by late April.

But ever since then they have been running around 20 - 50 per day. With 0 to 5 deaths per day.....it's a very flat curve but it isn't zero. I would say if we want zero we will have to take a very serious restriction on activity economic and community for a lot lot longer 2021 to be sure and I would say that would mean no AFL or community sports, no pubs, extremely limited restaurants and super small gatherings at home and every state border closed including Vic and probably no city to regional travel. And Zero international travel inward for anyone Aussie or not without quranintine until 2022. And increasing and continuing govt support for every impacted worker and business.

But if we can tolerate Austria like rates we might have a reasonable degree of freedom, a growing return to work and business reopening and community activity. But I suspect we are all thinking zero cases is the only tolerable outcome for state politicians and huge segments of society.

On the other side, Peru and Chile stand out like proverbials ...top 10 number cases despite their relatively small populations.

Highest death rates per mill skewed toward the early impacted countries (primarily G20 nations) . So have doctors learnt about more effective treatment? Were they better prepared given what they saw in Europe? Or are other countries like Soth America and South Asia likely to catch up?

Reactions: 1 user
The info is titillating at best, it doesn't really give the full picture which is what i want to know.

Victoria is in a world of hurt, but it could be anyone next week so everyone needs to keep their guard up.

I'm still wondering how McKenna can test - - - - - + - - and the CHO state it's "not unusual at the tailend of an infection".

Throw in "send us the army, no don't send us the army 'cos the union doesn't like it" and it's created a sense of uncertainty about what is actually happening.

At least if they provided a case breakdown, people might accept the need for specific areas to be locked down which is otherwise going to be hard to get compliance on. A few hand-picked stats without context isn't going to cut it, e.g. there have been threats to lock down my local council while there are more active cases in the Melbourne and Yarra councils.

Last edited:
State confronts new Millennial bug as coronavirus cases rise among young (paywalled)
A dangerous spike in COVID-19 cases threatening to force some Melbourne suburbs into a second lockdown is being driven by young people either refusing or failing to heed social distancing rules.

The state government moved yesterday to tighten its testing requirements for returned travellers and improve security at quarantine hotels, but it is concerned that apathy among young adults has mutated the coronavirus into a Millennial bug.

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer, Professor Brett Sutton, said that in some of the suburban outbreaks frustrating health authorities, the virus was being spread by people under the age of 40 who were either asymptomatic or had only mild cold and flu symptoms.

What is a "deep clean"? Did such a thing exist before 2020. Is is just a wanky phrase to sound like you are doing something positive? Does it just mean "thorough". Is deep clean what my mother would achieve v what I would do with a mop and broom?

What is a "deep clean"? Did such a thing exist before 2020. Is is just a wanky phrase to sound like you are doing something positive? Does it just mean "thorough". Is deep clean what my mother would achieve v what I would do with a mop and broom?

I think it means both washing with a detergent solution to clean the surface, then following up by disinfecting the same surface with a sanitizer, like alcohol.

I was heading to Vietnam after the original season so I've been taking a bit of interest in it.

They certainly responded early and hard but I wonder in a country where most people as so poor that they bury the dead in their own rice fields how accurate their numbers could be.
It's like the numbers from the African nations. Surprisingly low but when you consider that the hospitals are chockers full of patients with malaria, HIV etc and someone with a cough just gets told to go home...............

75 new cases overnight. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I can't see how we're not headed for a complete lock down again.
Reckon they will try and lockdown those 10 hot spot suburbs; the overwhelming majority of cases are coming out of those. How realistic that is and how successful it will be is another story.

This is turning into a categoric failure by the Victorian Govt in relation to hotel quarantine. It appears that the failure of hotel quarantine due to amateurish management of the program is in the main responsible for the spike in cases. The Vic Govt response started well but has gone off the rails.

To think 3 weeks ago we had days on end with very few case and even a couple with zero cases :(

Turns out most of the "refusals" for testing in quarantine was mostly small kids who's parents didn't want them to go through the discomfort. Not evil ethnics after all.

Meanwhile the USA just recorded 40,000 new cases in one day - mostly due to the republican states who pushed to reopen too soon and ridiculed those citizens who choose to wear masks.