Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Not really a surprise. Most people I've spoken too have backed the government in. Even though they hate the restrictions they understand it's necessary. One of them was a golfer as well.
The surprise is in the numbers relative to Qld. I Knew nothing about Palashay before CV so imagine she must have been very unpopular so she had to overcome that to get credit.

Where did you see that 22/28...number. Never heard Andrews mention any breakdown like that in his daily lectures. Should also,say how many were in hospitals.... if there continues to be transmission in those two high risk settings then plan on watching the Melb Cup on your own.
Infections in hospitals are very low atm 22nd. Some of the stats have been misleading because we have seen numbers for "health care workers" which includes aged care and also incudes hospital staff not involved with patients but even when it was doctors and nurses the actual transmission related to patients has always been low, with a few exceptions.
The problems have mainly come from staff getting infected elsewhere, bringing it to work because they are not symptomatic, going to tea rooms etc and then the hospital having to put massive numbers of staff on leave who came in contact and some getting infected. There has been an enormous amount of work done in that space.
Sometimes the impression has been given that nurses and doctors are infected by patients and then run around hospitals infecting others. That has happened a little bit but has never been close to the major reason for hospital staff infections.

Where did you see that 22/28...number. Never heard Andrews mention any breakdown like that in his daily lectures. Should also,say how many were in hospitals.... if there continues to be transmission in those two high risk settings then plan on watching the Melb Cup on your own.
I read it online somewhere; can't actually recall where sorry. I think the figures were quoted from DHHS. They should make these figures public as a matter of course; it would give some clarity as to how and where the transmissions are occurring.

Last edited:
In reality we should be comparing VIC as a stand alone state rather than lumping the other states in with us.

VIC has over 3000 cases per million, NSW just over 500. SA/QLD/WA all around the 250 mark.

On your numbers the US has about 7 times the infection rate as VIC. VIC has 6 times the infection rate as NSW. And over 10 times the infection rate of the other states.

So in essence VIC is the "USA" of Aust.

Now that they are down, lets hope we keep the numbers down.

I don't know why you keep massaging numbers to try to make a situation look worse than it is, and I can only assume it's a political agenda.

Kind of makes your noise on this thread much less relevant.

As has been pointed out above, if you look at the worst affected parts of the states (like you're looking at the worst affected part of Australia), you see ranges around 30,000 people per million. Some parts of New York have as many as 1 in 22 people testing positive (around 45,000 per million if it were to be extrapolated). If you want to cherry pick and massage numbers you can always find more extremes.

Victoria is a state with very high population density, with a very cold winter comparative to other states, and a huge amount of international travel. Victoria is also a state where hotel quarantine experienced failures, and where we never had our case numbers under control before we succumbed to pressure to open up. Governance mistakes have been made, within a very difficult to manage framework.

But Victoria is also a state where its leaders and people have done everything within their power to address the issue. Where sacrifices, emotional, political, and economic have been made. Where lockdowns have been enforced. Where economic supports have been put in place. Where healthcare has been bolstered. Where our leaders have never downplayed the threat. To call us the USA of Australia would suggest our leaders have said the virus will 'go away', or that it only kills people who don't matter, or that it barely affects anyone who matters, or that we can treat it with drugs that our leaders have a stake in, or we can treat it by drinking bleach. It suggests that our healthcare is inaccessible to huge parts of our population, and it suggests that we're now completely ignoring the virus, and having huge indoor, maskless gatherings to rally political support.

For all those reasons, our case rate is orders of magnitude less than the states. And to suggest Victoria is the 'USA of Australia' unnecessarily belittles the sacrifices and the efforts of the Australian people, and just flagrantly pushes a political agenda, which is the only thing you've ever done on this thread.

Reactions: 5 users
I thought this was an apt comparison. Stolen from reddit.

View attachment 10586
Yes from a numbers perspective Victoria as a state has done quite well in comparison with most of the world. There are some parts of the world that have done it better but not too many. It's just a shame that we have not done so well in comparison with the rest of Australia.

Reactions: 1 user
We can feel confident now that the government will announce extra easing of restrictions on Sunday. But I am also hearing that the government is seriously considering bringing forward step 3 from October 26 to October 12. This means we could potentially visit and congregate with fellow Richmond friends in small numbers on GF day.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I just knew this hotel quarantine inquiry would be a complete farce. The senior government ministers and bureaucrats have treated it with complete contempt. "I can't remember" or "I don't recall" are the only phrases seemingly muttered by anyone. We either have a government that is full of ministers and bureaucrats that have all suddenly developed amnesia, in which case they should remove themselves from office, or they are just incompetent liars.

We all know which one is true. And all the while they treat the inquiry and the Victorian electorate with contempt hundreds of people are dead and tens of thousands have no income. An entire city of 5 million people is locked in their houses for 7 weeks and counting. How much is this inquiry costing taxpayer again? Not too mention the legal fees payable to QCs to help them cover their arses. What a *smile* joke and a disgrace.

These people suck at the public teet for a large portion of their lives and this is how they respond? What's wrong with having the common decency to admit mistakes and learn from them so we can be better prepared in the future?

Reactions: 6 users
We can feel confident now that the government will announce extra easing of restrictions on Sunday. But I am also hearing that the government is seriously considering bringing forward step 3 from October 26 to October 12. This means we could potentially visit and congregate with fellow Richmond friends in small numbers on GF day.
That would be good news.

Reactions: 1 users
I read it online somewhere; can't actually recall where sorry. I think the figures were quoted from DHHS. They should make these figures as a matter of course; it would give some clarity as to how and where the transmissions are occurring.
Thanks.... Knowing where transmissions occur would also really help with future risk mgt as well as giving the population better buy in to the ongoing restrictions. We know now that swimming in an outdoor pool is risk free from Monday, but not indoor pools. This is good to know.. Same that browsing for a magazine in a newsagent is also low risk but selecting a book in a library remains fraught. Going to a swingers party not good but is in same category as watching the Tigers in your lounge room with more than person as we have seen the evidence of the risk of that in the afghan family cluster. The more we are told the more we will support the govt.

That's a ridiculous comparison, why compare a state in Australia with a state in the catastrophic USA, why not compare a state in Australia with , oh I dont know, another state in Australia?

Because we already know. Comparisons between Vic and the rest of Australia are made regularly in Australian media.

My point is that even taken in isolation from the rest of Australia, Victoria is still doing fairly well by international standards.

That's a ridiculous comparison, why compare a state in Australia with a state in the catastrophic USA, why not compare a state in Australia with , oh I dont know, another state in Australia?

You don't have any problem with other posters comparing Victoria to the entire country of the USA though?

Comparing like with like is clearly the best way to look at this sort of thing. Comparing Australia to other countries makes sense, comparing Victoria to individual states in the USA makes sense, comparing Victoria to other Australian states makes sense. It just reminds me of climate change distorters who conveniently choose 1998 as the base year for comparisons.

The enquiry into the quarantine stuff up is a farce you say? And you were expecting? Did you ever watch Yes Minister? I did see something on the news last night where, I think it was the head of the Premier and Cabinet Office, said he couldn't recall if he forwarded some email about offers of ADF support. Couldn't remember? What, do you delete your email traffic a couple of weeks after it happens? It's email, there should be a record, unless you want to make sure there isn't a record.

Relaxing the restrictions on October 26 was always a funny one. It always looked to me like they were hoping the numbers went down earlier and they could relax restrictions just before the Grand Final so Victorians can watch the game with a few mates. Makes for a great announcement for the government.

Another good set of numbers today, 12 is much better. Now, let's see if we can get this into single figures.

COVID19 7 day ave 24092020.jpg

By the numbers:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing Ave5 Day Centred ave14 Day Trailing ave
19 September 2020​
13​
30.43​
23.40​
38.07​
20 September 2020​
11​
27.71​
17.40​
36.14​
21 September 2020​
28​
26.14​
15.80​
34.64​
22 September 2020​
15​
22.43​
30.71​
23 September 2020​
12​
20.57​
28.21​

The 14 day average is trending down nicely but we need to get it lower. Should be controllable now so hope that contact tracing is getting better.

Don't seem to have the NSW numbers yet but they have getting down to near 10. Queensland and WA are getting days with no new cases.

Active cases in Vic down to 554 so that has been trending down for a while now, was over 6,500 at one stage.

There is some more detailed data on health care workers, not hard to find, it's here: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/victorian-healthcare-worker-covid-19-data

Let's keep going!

DS

Comparing like with like is clearly the best way to look at this sort of thing. Comparing Australia to other countries makes sense, comparing Victoria to individual states in the USA makes sense, comparing Victoria to other Australian states makes sense. It just reminds me of climate change distorters who conveniently choose 1998 as the base year for comparisons.

The enquiry into the quarantine stuff up is a farce you say? And you were expecting? Did you ever watch Yes Minister? I did see something on the news last night where, I think it was the head of the Premier and Cabinet Office, said he couldn't recall if he forwarded some email about offers of ADF support. Couldn't remember? What, do you delete your email traffic a couple of weeks after it happens? It's email, there should be a record, unless you want to make sure there isn't a record.

Relaxing the restrictions on October 26 was always a funny one. It always looked to me like they were hoping the numbers went down earlier and they could relax restrictions just before the Grand Final so Victorians can watch the game with a few mates. Makes for a great announcement for the government.

Another good set of numbers today, 12 is much better. Now, let's see if we can get this into single figures.

View attachment 10587

By the numbers:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing Ave5 Day Centred ave14 Day Trailing ave
19 September 2020​
13​
30.43​
23.40​
38.07​
20 September 2020​
11​
27.71​
17.40​
36.14​
21 September 2020​
28​
26.14​
15.80​
34.64​
22 September 2020​
15​
22.43​
30.71​
23 September 2020​
12​
20.57​
28.21​

The 14 day average is trending down nicely but we need to get it lower. Should be controllable now so hope that contact tracing is getting better.

Don't seem to have the NSW numbers yet but they have getting down to near 10. Queensland and WA are getting days with no new cases.

Active cases in Vic down to 554 so that has been trending down for a while now, was over 6,500 at one stage.

There is some more detailed data on health care workers, not hard to find, it's here: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/victorian-healthcare-worker-covid-19-data

Let's keep going!

DS
isnt the GF on Oct 24, so BEFORE restrictions are possibly relaxed

Todays number now offically 5 new, 7 reclassified, some from back in July/August.

That should be reflected in the data they update at the end of each day, for the moment the announcement is 12. We'll see, they normally don't adjust the numbers that fast, might take a little while for all of this to be reflected in the data.

As a comparison, the new infections number announced for 4 August was over 700 (704 or thereabouts?) and is now 686, it takes weeks sometimes, but the numbers do get adjusted.

DS