Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Brisbane had moreton island as a leper colony early 20th century . Sydney had a spanish flu quarintine island in the harbour. Cocos keeling off WA ( or rotnest?). Chrismas island. Werribee horse quarintine station.

Surely it just needs to be 1 outside populated areas and 2. Staff dont go home each day?

All these joints have airstrips for medivac or build an icu unit.

To bring covid into the cbd and staff go home each night seems as absurd to me

As digging up coal
Cocos Keeling Islands suffer from the same faults as Christmas Island only 10 times worse.
Garden Island Naval Base, Pearce Air Force Base or Rottnest would be best for WA but I'm betting McGowan wouldn't risk the public backlash by locking people out of Rottnest.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you serious? Trying to turn it around to blame the federal govt?

I am saying there are questions that need to be asked that were not asked in the Coates Inquiry.

I have one very simple question that no one ever seems to ask. Why was quarantine handballed to the states when it is clearly the responsibility of the federal government?

I am saying there are questions that need to be asked that were not asked in the Coates Inquiry.

I have one very simple question that no one ever seems to ask. Why was quarantine handballed to the states when it is clearly the responsibility of the federal government?

Also worth emphasising that hotel quarantine is continuing to be mandated by the Federal Government

I believe the national coronavirus cabinet, of which Andrews is a part, mandated that quarantine in each state would be the direct responsibility of the relevant State Govt. Whether that was right or wrong Andrews was a part of that decision. The fact remains it worked reasonably well everywhere except Victoria; up to this point.

I believe the national coronavirus cabinet, of which Andrews is a part, mandated that quarantine in each state would be the direct responsibility of the relevant State Govt. Whether that was right or wrong Andrews was a part of that decision. The fact remains it worked reasonably well everywhere except Victoria; up to this point.

But why? why did the feds palm it off like they did the bushfires? The cynic in me wonders if they did it to avoid responsibility if it went balls up. Let’s not forget that the PM and the states have been at odds all year about restrictions and opening up. The feds have put massive pressure on the states to open up. They even funded Clive Palmers high court challenge against WA. So why give the states more responsibility if you don’t agree with how they go about it? It makes no sense. There may well be a perfectly reasonable explanation, but I am yet to see one.

As for the highlighted part, that’s factually incorrect. There were quarantine breaches in NSW and SA months ago, but they got lucky and there was no spread like there was in Victoria. My fingers are crossed for our friends in SA that this eventuates.

Reactions: 1 users
According to Mark McGowan the states insisted that they took responsibility.
The fact that he's then been whining about foreign crewed ships indicated that he probably hadn't thought the issue through enough.

According to Mark McGowan the states insisted that they took responsibility.
Yeah, there's crossover between national and state control. The feds decreed that everyone entering the country would be required to quarantine for 14 days, and the states accepted responsibility for where and how it was handled.

Morrison can't be blamed for Victoria's *smile*-ups any more than he can take the credit for other states' success.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, there's crossover between national and state control. The feds decreed that everyone entering the country would be required to quarantine for 14 days, and the states accepted responsibility for where and how it was handled.

Morrison can't be blamed for Victoria's *smile*-ups any more than he can take the credit for other states' success.

What about federally controlled private aged care? Should he (or someone in his cabinet) have taken responsibility for that?

What about federally controlled private aged care? Should he (or someone in his cabinet) have taken responsibility for that?
If you've got the time have a look at John Howard's 1987 Aged Care Act. Howard also removed the requirement for a registered nurse to be on duty at aged care facilities.
Aged care has been a disaster for decades, covid has made it impossible to cover things up.

Check this link out, it will make your blood boil. :mad:

• Angry
If you've got the time have a look at John Howard's 1987 Aged Care Act. Howard also removed the requirement for a registered nurse to be on duty at aged care facilities.
Aged care has been a disaster for decades, covid has made it impossible to cover things up.

Check this link out, it will make your blood boil. :mad:

Both sides of politics must take responsibility for the way private aged care is. The LNP started it and still encourage it but Labor has had chances to fix it and didn’t. The reason is very simple..money.
To return private aged care to the old “nursing home” days would cost a fortune in extra government funding and no one wants to pay.
The lack of qualified nursing staff, medical oversight, poor PPE and infection control training in private aged care undoubtedly cost countless lives in the 2nd wave but I have very little hope that much will be done.
Potentially an ALP government in Canberra might but no chance for anything but cosmetic from the LNP imo

Reactions: 3 users
Both sides of politics must take responsibility for the way private aged care is.

maybe on a 80:20 split to the deputy godfather of the Liberal Party John Howard,

who sold them to The Michael Kroger cartel, as they made off with Andrew Peacocks good time girl

in their attempt to breed a race of Miranda Devines and Peta Credlins (shudder).

Labor are horrible. These other *smile* are really *smile* evil *smile*.

theres still a big difference

maybe on a 80:20 split to the deputy godfather of the Liberal Party John Howard,

who sold them to The Michael Kroger cartel, as they made off with Andrew Peacocks good time girl

in their attempt to breed a race of Miranda Devines and Peta Credlins (shudder).

Labor are horrible. These other *smile* are really *smile* evil *smile*.

theres still a big difference
Yeah, don’t disagree with this view Ezy.
for the LNP it is philosophical, private sector is better etc. However we have suffered the consequences of disinvestment in proper care.
For Labor Governments it was budget, the cost. The ALP in Victoria has a policy to stop public hospitals outsourcing their residential aged care that they run under license from the commonwealth. No such policy exists in the LNP

Last edited:
Watching the ABC News this morning.
An idiot woman in Adelaide, standing cheek by jowl with a whole lot of other idiots and cheerfully announcing she's got symptoms.
No social distancing from her, the other idiots or the idiot interviewing her.
Guaranteed that if she gets a negative test she'll be straight back to work "because it's only hayfever".

SA outbreak amplified and spread via casual workers again. When are governments both Federal and State going to wake up realise the gig economy is a bad thing.

Reactions: 1 users
The outbreak happened a suburb away from me. As the Vics will certainly understand its pretty demoralizing to be locked down again and its hard to shake that mental downer knowing Xmas will be off the books.

I had a hunch on Sunday night this would be a screw up as we have been so irresponsible here in SA for a while now. I took my daughter out of school on monday and at least feel vindicated for that decision.

At a loss here, didnt panic buy so dont have enough supplies to last 6 days as shopping day is usually on the weekend. I am not going to risk my family and go out for more, so I have a good chance to lose a few kgs that I shouldnt be carrying anyway :D

Reactions: 6 users
SA outbreak amplified and spread via casual workers again. When are governments both Federal and State going to wake up realise the gig economy is a bad thing.
If they had mandatory testing of staff instead of voluntary it may well have been avoided.

You understand that some businesses own or operate multiple sites so workers will be engaged at multiple sites? Its not necessarily one person working for a number of different businesses?

There are benefits and disadvantages of casual work.