Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
They were told to come home in MARCH. They made their decisions and they took their chances. They have NO *smile* RIGHT to bring the country down just because the second wave is five times worse than the first in the UK.

Manus or Christmas, or remain in place until you can get vaccinated. *smile* globetrotters.
That's simply not true and not that simple. Many lost their jobs subsequently. I'm told there are thousands still stuck in UAE with no medical insurance or rent assistance. I'm talking expats here not tourists.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
They were told to come home in MARCH. They made their decisions and they took their chances. They have NO *smile* RIGHT to bring the country down just because the second wave is five times worse than the first in the UK.

Manus or Christmas, or remain in place until you can get vaccinated. *smile* globetrotters.
Honestly why so upset now? Is this because you can't pin these quarantine errors on Daniel Andrews so you've moved your anger towards expats?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Honestly why so upset now? Is this because you can't pin these quarantine errors on Daniel Andrews so you've moved your anger towards expats?
Nothing to do with your precious Daniel F. Andrews.

This person's family visited more shops in a day that I've been to in eight months, and now it's everywhere and all South Australians are prisoners through no fault of their own.

One person's whim should not be able to cause this!

The welfare of the many must come before the individual rights of the few. Repeat 25 million times.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

This person's family visited more shops in a day that I've been to in eight months, and now it's everywhere and all South Australians are prisoners through no fault of their own.

One person's whim should not be able to cause this!

The welfare of the many must come before the individual rights of the few. Repeat 25 million times.

Wasn't the outbreak into the cleaners family, not the outbreak to a returning travellers family? Maybe I've missed something

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The Melbourne hotel quarantine breech occurred well after Morrison's initial call for expats to return.
I don't recall your anger towards them then.

After the Melbourne outbreak expats being able to return home was slashed hard. many have been stranded abroad in hardship.

The failures of quarantine are not their fault.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yes OK but it's a trivial point in the scheme of things. It was brought in by someone who had elected to remain in Britain for work.

Yes thats right but you are blaming it on the traveller and his family for "visiting more shops in a day that you've been to in 8 months". What that person does or doesn't do legally, is not the responsibility of the traveller.

Its a difficult thing to manage because people come from all sorts of backgrounds that are involved and live in all sorts of accomodation.

Theres one thing providing accommodation whether thats in city hotels / outside of the city, but the rules around workers and their families is really hard to determine.

Maybe the best solution is almost operating like a mine / offshore rig, ie. all workers leave their homes for a period of time, say 4 weeks on 2 weeks off. Wages would need to rise to deal with this and make it an attractive employment opportunity but there are so many moving parts to hotel quarantine.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
What part of this didn't they understand?
This is a global emergency. If you didn't heed the clear advice first time around, this government's obligations are terminated AFAIC.

Fortunately for people like you, it's just my opinion and not the government's stance.

People like me? I chose to stay where I was employed rather than come back and join the dole queues, and because some people here depend on me. We've already been through the government advisory stuff. I'll remind you though that the ADVISORY was to warn people that it would be harder to get back due to border controls and flight cancellations etc, not because Australia could not deal with citizens with the virus returning home.

The government doesn't owe me anything - if and when I choose to come back, I will pay my own way and I will pay for quarantine etc if the government wants it that way. That's my right as an Australian citizen - and I will not abandon other Australians in need, even if you think that's OK.

Other people were not so fortunate and could not get back and are now in very bad economic circumstances. Australia is a wealthy and scientifically literate country - we need to be able to effectively handle and quarantine people who choose to come home. And roll on vaccine - plenty of people in the world are doing it much tougher than people in Australia, I'm sorry to say.

Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The government doesn't owe me anything - if and when I choose to come back, I will pay my own way and I will pay for quarantine etc if the government wants it that way. That's my right as an Australian citizen - and I will not abandon other Australians in need, even if you think that's OK.
Would you feel any shame for causing the country to shut down? Any at all?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Yes thats right but you are blaming it on the traveller and his family for "visiting more shops in a day that you've been to in 8 months". What that person does or doesn't do legally, is not the responsibility of the traveller.
It was to highlight what we've endured in Victoria.
Its a difficult thing to manage because people come from all sorts of backgrounds that are involved and live in all sorts of accomodation.

Theres one thing providing accommodation whether thats in city hotels / outside of the city, but the rules around workers and their families is really hard to determine.

Maybe the best solution is almost operating like a mine / offshore rig, ie. all workers leave their homes for a period of time, say 4 weeks on 2 weeks off. Wages would need to rise to deal with this and make it an attractive employment opportunity but there are so many moving parts to hotel quarantine.
Yes, difficult to manage. And if it escapes nationwide - unworkable.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Would you feel any shame for causing the country to shut down? Any at all?

Seriously, sod off mate. I haven't returned yet, I get tested regularly, and I would comply with any regulations/testing/quarantine program the government says I should comply with.

Unless my situation here gets much much worse (and this year has been a doozy so far, believe me - I laugh at people who complain about 14 day quarantine) I'm unlikely to return before a vaccine is available anyway, so don't worry your pretty little head over it.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The Melbourne hotel quarantine breech occurred well after Morrison's initial call for expats to return.
I don't recall your anger towards them then.

After the Melbourne outbreak expats being able to return home was slashed hard. many have been stranded abroad in hardship.

The failures of quarantine are not their fault.
Anger towards who? I've raised this principle before and got slammed for it. Fine, it's just an opinion, albeit strongly-held.

I'm well aware it's not the done thing for a country to turn its back on citizens, but if they ignore the government's advice then I believe any obligations should be greatly reduced, if not redundant.

You can disagree with this all you like, tell me to sod off, I don't give a sh!t. If we're stuck inside through summer or everyone starts dying again, we can revisit ithe subject of how much travellers' rights are worth.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Anger towards who? I've raised this principle before and got slammed for it. Fine, it's just an opinion, albeit strongly-held.

I'm well aware it's not the done thing for a country to turn its back on citizens, but if they ignore advice then I believe any obligations should be greatly reduced, if not redundant.

You can disagree with this all you like, tell me to sod off, I don't give a sh!t. If we're stuck inside through summer or everyone starts dying again, we can revisit it.
I won't tell you to sod off. :cool:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I won't tell you to sod off. :cool:

I already have and stand by it. Lee already accused me earlier this year of returning like a "rat" or some such nonsense, before he thought better of it and deleted the post. Looks like he's falling back into bad habits.

If the government puts a total block on returning travellers (unlikely IMO) then I have to take my chances, them's the breaks.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Opposition party in SA being very supportive of Government's decisions. May have learnt what knobs O'Brien, Smith et al look like.

Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Watching State of Origun in Qld being played in front of 90% ? Very packed stadium.
Yesterday MCC were trialling 25% seating limits for a match 6 weeks away.

So either Vic way over cautious or there will be a spike in COVId in Bris next week.

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008
As an aside, I'll be watching Ireland closely. 2 more weeks of their 6 week lockdown and by then I'm tipping a 7 day average of about 160, with businesses beginning to reopen.

I've got this wrong. No chance of being around 160. I do still wonder what they will do, and what the goal is?