Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I dare suggest I graduated more recently than you. The anti-West agenda was mostly covert at the time, scrawled on toilet walls or carved into desks by people including supporters of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. I thought, "Who are these weirdos and why haven't I met one on campus?".

One of the senior lecturers confided that he was under pressure to pass fee-paying international students who didn't deserve to pass. That was the beginnings of what is now an epidemic.

Well I suppose if you believe the HUN you would interpret critical thinking as somehow "Anti-West".

Maybe you did graduate later than me but I suspect I have more contact with universities than you do and anyway, later than which graduation?

I would agree there is pressure to pass international fee paying students and it is generally the academic staff desperately trying to keep standards up. But the pressure comes because the universities are so underfunded they need the income. The problem is that fee paying students think they are buying a dgree, what they are really buying is tuition and assessment, the degree is theirs to earn.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The reality is that universities are being bled to death. How many times have they changed the rules on employment subsidies to make sure universities can't qualify, I think it was 3 times.

This after decades of inadequate funding.

The very reason that universities rely so much on fee income, more from Australian than international students, is woeful funding. We are near the bottom of the OECD for funding higher education and research. Add to this that the private sector in Australia wouldn't know what research is and we end up with the current situation.

Other industries have not been treated like universities, they have been subsidised to keep their staff, universities have been singled out to make sure the subsidy is not available.

DS
Yes. And yet the research coming out of Australia is still in many cases world leading. We shouldn’t let the U-QLD vaccine failure cloud the fantastic medical research that comes out of this country.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I guess Australia doesn't need doctors, lawyers engineers, nurses, or scientists in Lee's bizarro right wing fantasy economy.

Ok maybe we don't need lawyers

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I guess Australia doesn't need doctors, lawyers engineers, nurses, or scientists in Lee's bizarro right wing fantasy economy
Ok maybe we don't need lawyers
Yep and all of them are marxists as well or if they aren’t they have managed to not be one despite the massive pressures from all the red raggers who taught them at University
(We have one lawyer for about every 350 people in Australia. )

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Its super cool that Lee was emotionally scarred by leftist toilet graffiti despite never ever meeting one of these rabid Marxists in his whole time at uni.

Antifa strikes again!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Ah well David asked for evidence and I posted it. I'm used to you lot not conceding a millimetre. No comment on the SMH acknowledgement from two years ago?

Geez Lee, you know someone is clutching at straws when they equate you with a nazi. You really have lost the plot.

If you really want to read something sensible on this, and not the s*** the IPA consistently shovel, then how about a considered article, like this:

https://www.abc.net.au/religion/kat...ch-crisis-in-australian-universities/12459718

Yeah I know it is the ABC and she is an academic which according to you, and given she is unlikely to be a nazi, I suppose makes her a commie.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Geez Lee, you know someone is clutching at straws when they equate you with a nazi. You really have lost the plot.

If you really want to read something sensible on this, and not the s*** the IPA consistently shovel, then how about a considered article, like this:

https://www.abc.net.au/religion/kat...ch-crisis-in-australian-universities/12459718

Yeah I know it is the ABC and she is an academic which according to you, and given she is unlikely to be a nazi, I suppose makes her a commie.

DS

Just another example of Lee's cognitive dissonance, laps up the IPA bilge but says nothing about their bonkers policies on opening up the economy in the midst of Victoria's high infection rates and deaths. Likewise his deep infatuation with Trump, despite Trump ignoring the pandemic that has so far killed 300K in the US.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The UK's half baked approach has been a disaster. Glad we went hard when infections started to increase & didn't take an on off approach.

This is an absolute joke. Said protocols were impossible to enforce. How can this happen? Amateur hour!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
This is an absolute joke. Said protocols were impossible to enforce. How can this happen? Amateur hour!
If you're going to have rules you have to enforce them, otherwise everyone disregards them.
"Factors including the outdoor nature of the contest, the generally socially distanced nature of cricket on-field and the fact Canberra is considered a low-risk city support the conclusion that both can play tonight without posing a meaningful risk."
If there's a chance they've contracted the virus then there are no circumstances under which they should be playing.

What a sh!tshow CA has become.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
If you're going to have rules you have to enforce them, otherwise everyone disregards them.

If there's a chance they've contracted the virus then there are no circumstances under which they should be playing.

What a sh!tshow CA has become.
considering there hasnt been any community transmission in Canberra in months (I think) the chance of them being exposed are pretty low.
I read somewhere the bubble is more about being cross state borders if there are any outbreaks rather than reducing the risk of exposure.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Telling us what we knew.

Melbourne’s Black Lives Matter rally went ahead because police feared riots (paywalled)​

Alex White
Herald Sun
December 16, 2020

Police say the Black Lives Matter protest should not have gone ahead, but authorities feared cancelling the event would lead to riots in Melbourne’s CBD.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton has told a parliamentary inquiry the protest should not have been allowed, but the event was “reluctantly” approved for fear of civil unrest.

“One of the primary key factors is we eventually made a decision to reluctantly allow the Black Lives matter to go ahead because of the emotion that was in the community … and because of what we had seen in communities across the world,” Commissioner Patton said.

“We’d had arson, we’d seen looting, we had seen assaults.”

“We’ve seen cities – that I am sure everyone has seen on the news – that were damaged … So my major concern at that time as a deputy commissioner then: we said this should not occur but we had between 10,000 and 20,000 people who were intent on marching, so my main aim at that stage was on public order, so this city could them get back on it’s role and that’s what we did.”

The revelation that police did not want the event to go ahead was revealed at the Public Accounts and Estimates Committee inquiry when Liberal Democrats MP David Limbrick questioned the chief of police on why the response to other protests had been much more heavy handed.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

If NSW has put my interstate family Christmas at risk a week out I'll be *smile* furious. Gold standard my ass.

Seriously why aren't staff who are exposed to this virus locked up in a bubble & paid accordingly!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Telling us what we knew.

Melbourne’s Black Lives Matter rally went ahead because police feared riots (paywalled)​

Alex White
Herald Sun
December 16, 2020

Police say the Black Lives Matter protest should not have gone ahead, but authorities feared cancelling the event would lead to riots in Melbourne’s CBD.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton has told a parliamentary inquiry the protest should not have been allowed, but the event was “reluctantly” approved for fear of civil unrest.

“One of the primary key factors is we eventually made a decision to reluctantly allow the Black Lives matter to go ahead because of the emotion that was in the community … and because of what we had seen in communities across the world,” Commissioner Patton said.

“We’d had arson, we’d seen looting, we had seen assaults.”

“We’ve seen cities – that I am sure everyone has seen on the news – that were damaged … So my major concern at that time as a deputy commissioner then: we said this should not occur but we had between 10,000 and 20,000 people who were intent on marching, so my main aim at that stage was on public order, so this city could them get back on it’s role and that’s what we did.”

The revelation that police did not want the event to go ahead was revealed at the Public Accounts and Estimates Committee inquiry when Liberal Democrats MP David Limbrick questioned the chief of police on why the response to other protests had been much more heavy handed.
Yes, as we already knew, 10-20K people marched peacefully, wore masks, there was no covid spike, and no property damaged.

Well done VicPol and BLM.

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Yes, as we already knew, 10-20K people marched peacefully, wore masks, there was no covid spike, and no property damaged.

Well done VicPol and BLM.

Doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have marched in the first place but well said Ant. If force had been used by the police it may well have made things worse.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have marched in the first place but well said Ant. If force had been used by the police it may well have made things worse.

Yes, but to conclude that you have to be able to be able to see things not just as black or white, right or wrong.

Some seem incapable of this.

DS