Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
There's hardly a stampede.

I booked last week and it took 4 days to get an appointment in my suburb - lots of GP listings and all done through Hot Doc. All paperwork done online before appointment. Had a 10.25am appointment, turned up at 10.15, name ticked off (no other paperwork) seen at 10.20. Out of there by 10.35am. Re-appointment booked for 12 weeks for dose 2. Very simple and easy.
A mate booked in from the beachside suburbs and the earliest he could get was July. That was for his preferred site only, though.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I would suggest not.

Perhaps the governments feels it is, but that message isn't coming across clearly in the media. It's only the odd opinion column that seems to be pushing it. And you wouldn't take any notice of what e.g. Andrew Bolt tells you to do, would you?

What is it, 5 in 6 Victorians haven't received their first jab? A lot of people obviously don't see it as urgent.

Let me ask you this in a politically neutral way since it seems you just want to practice sophistry.

Do you think the Covid-19 vaccine rollout SHOULD be a priority for both STATE governments and the FEDERAL government in Australia?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
As bad as 11 cases are, the news isn't all bad. All from known contacts and in Iso, etc. only 4 are the Delta variant (3 are kids).

the 3 cases from their day 13 test... can be seen as positive and negative. Positive because they have been in Iso for so long, their infectious period will probably be over and there will be no new exposure sites. But negative, because it probably means we will see more “day 13 positives” now that the SA HQ outbreak reaches the end of its cycle in the coming days.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Let me ask you this in a politically neutral way since it seems you just want to practice sophistry.

Do you think the Covid-19 vaccine rollout SHOULD be a priority for both STATE governments and the FEDERAL government in Australia?
No, you're just busting your balls to paint me as a bad person.

Not without a public roadmap or at least an open-up date.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
No, you're just busting your balls to paint me as a bad person.

Not without a public roadmap or at least an open-up date.

Don't care if you are good, bad or ugly. I don't care if you vaccinate or not, although the more who vaccinate the better. You are a smart guy, so you know the importance of vaccination if we are to defeat this thing.

If you want to stick fat with the Feds regardless of anything else, your choice.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Don't care if you are good, bad or ugly. I don't care if you vaccinate or not, although the more who vaccinate the better. You are a smart guy, so you know the importance of vaccination if we are to defeat this thing.

If you want to stick fat with the Feds regardless of anything else, your choice.
When they want to announce something I'm all ears. It's not like I have any influence.

Until then I'm no worse off being unvaccinated.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

AA i think you are wasting your time. The Feds know it is a priority, all the states know it is a priority, everyone involved in health know it is a priority, everyone in business knows it is a priority. in short everyone knows it is a priority, but to admit it is a priority is to admit Morrison and the Libs have F'd the vaccine roll out up completely, which some people are not willing to do.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
As bad as 11 cases are, the news isn't all bad. All from known contacts and in Iso, etc. only 4 are the Delta variant (3 are kids).

the 3 cases from their day 13 test... can be seen as positive and negative. Positive because they have been in Iso for so long, their infectious period will probably be over and there will be no new exposure sites. But negative, because it probably means we will see more “day 13 positives” now that the SA HQ outbreak reaches the end of its cycle in the coming days.

Going to be interesting to see which way the State govt go with this.

Is it a numbers or a control led decision to bring us out of lockdown. From a numbers perspective it would seem we are in for a longer lockdown. If its a control issue, contact tracers have done their job it would appear as pretty much all the cases over the last few days have either been in an aged are facility we know about, or are known contacts of another case and therefore in iso so transmission is controlled. There have been very few mystery cases so would appear its under control.

FWIW, I reckon they won't want us out over the long weekend, so an extension of lockdown until midnight next Monday / Tuesday is likely IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
When the time comes & the rush of those who want to be vacinated starts to come to a trickle, that should be the time the Government sets a cut off date for those who want to be freely vaccinated. Then set an opening up policy accordingly. If the anti-vaxers get covid from then on..

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
AA i think you are wasting your time. The Feds know it is a priority, all the states know it is a priority, everyone involved in health know it is a priority, everyone in business knows it is a priority. in short everyone knows it is a priority, but to admit it is a priority is to admit Morrison and the Libs have F'd the vaccine roll out up completely, which some people are not willing to do.

Yeah, I am wasting my time on this, agree.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
spoke to on offshore guy I work with in India who said the vaccine doesn't work against this delta variant. not sure how true this is.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
If it was a priority you would think

- system set up to handle online bookings

- influencing campaign to emotionally and intellectually understand the importance of vaccination (think TAC campaign) and to put risk into context of being in vaccinated (same risk as driving 400km). Should also reach into schools and influence the curriculum IMO. Research Edward Jenner, history of polio, science of masks / pandemics etc so kids influence parents.

- We have to acknowledge there will likely be some blood clot death. maybe work out how to deal with this in advance vs clickbait scare journalism that will otherwise eventuate.

- a clear roadmap that spells out when we will open up country whether or not you are vaccinated to start the conversation and set expectations. I think this would have a huge effect and create a social dynamic that would flip a lot of people from being passive about it to the other way. If you think covid isn’t real and vaccines have mind control chips in them then Darwin is a fair chance of picking you for an award.

I’m certainly of the view that although it’s a priority for me (once I can get it booked easily I’ll do it) it isn’t a priority for the country as I don’t see the communication, carrots and sticks that would help achieve this.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
spoke to on offshore guy I work with in India who said the vaccine doesn't work against this delta variant. not sure how true this is.

Depends, as always, on how you define "work".

Does it work to prevent infection with the new variants? Depending on the vaccine it does appear to be a lot less effective.

Does it work to stop the spread of the virus, especially the new variants? Jury seems to be out on this. Having at least some people not catch the virus as a result of the vaccine would reduce spread, but limited impact is the impression I get.

Does it stop you getting sick if you do catch COVID? The answer appears to be no if you define getting sick as having any symptoms of COVID - ie: you would include people with mild to middling flu-like symptoms as having got sick.

Does it stop you from getting severely ill and dying as a result of catching COVID? I don't think we know enough yet but the signs are that those who are vaccinated are way less likely to become severely ill (requiring hospitalisation) or die from COVID, and this applies to all variants.

All up the vaccine is still looking like a success from this. If having the vaccine means you might get sick but are very unlikely to be severely ill or die then COVID getting loose in the community becomes a problem of similar magnitude to the flu which we know is loose in the community all the time.

Of course, the impact of vaccination is heavily reliant on the proportion of the population vaccinated, the more the better.

I figure some here who work in health care will know more and be able to correct me if any of the above is incorrect.

DS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
It’s probably telling too that I come here to find out quickly what is actually going on.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Has there been any more info on the origin of this delta variant?

I assume that person one was never in quarantine hence the mystery as to how it started here?