Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Glady's boxed herself into a corner. So determined not to follow the Victorian Labor's lead she's probably left this lockdown a week late to everyone's detriment.
Seriously listening to Hazzard speak today was hilarious. You'd think he's been hiding under a rock for 6 months after suddenly discovering how transmissible this Delta variant is.
Stop politicking & one upping on other states & deal with it ffs. This isn't an agument over whose weather is better, it's a dangerous virus. Treat it seriously & protect the entire country.

Reactions: 2 users
Lucky the internet wasn't around in the first half of the century as the world would still be rife with polio, measles, tetanus, rubella, whooping cough and chicken pox to name a few.
Earth would still be flat

Glady's boxed herself into a corner. So determined not to follow the Victorian Labor's lead she's probably left this lockdown a week late to everyone's detriment.
Seriously listening to Hazzard speak today was hilarious. You'd think he's been hiding under a rock for 6 months after suddenly discovering how transmissible this Delta variant is.
Stop politicking & one upping on other states & deal with it ffs. This isn't an agument over whose weather is better, it's a dangerous virus. Treat it seriously & protect the entire country.
Screenshot_20210626-203730_Twitter.jpg

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Indonesia in strife.

arig9b1.jpg

Indonesia in strife. Doubt the Chinese will cuddle up to them as they don't seem to like Muslims.

arig9b1.jpg

They are already using Sinovax and China wants them as a strategic partner in the region, so no, wrong again Lee.

One of the more disappointing things i saw in SEAsia in my time there was a total lack of solidarity in the Muslim communities - Malaysia treats refugee Rohingas badly, no one cares about the Uighurs in China.

Reactions: 1 user
Outbreaks in NT..
NZ shuts travel bubble to whole of Australia..
Virgin Flight attendant infectious on flights to 3 states..
NSW’s Premier finally realises a lockdown may be the best option (like all the other states) about a week too late & now she has lost control of a highly infectious variant that’s put the entire largely unvaccinated country at risk.
Who didn’t see this coming?
The smug fool has egg all over her face.
Makes me furious given the sacrifices Victoria has made to get on top of this thing only for the NSW Premier to jeopardise everything. Gold standard *smile*.

Reactions: 6 users
Outbreaks in NT..
NSW’s Premier finally realises a lockdown may be the best option (like all the other states) about a week too late & now she has lost control of a highly infectious variant that’s put the entire largely unvaccinated country at risk.
Makes me furious given the sacrifices Victoria has made to get on top of this thing only for the NSW Premier to jeopardise everything. Gold standard *smile*.
Berejiklian and Morrison aren't looking so smug now are they.

Just hours before Berejiklian put Sydney into lockdown Morrison with that smirk that he has said that.............."he is confident the NSW government can deal with its latest COVID-19 outbreak without shutting down Sydney. New South Wales, I have no doubt, has the gold standard contact tracing system not just in Australia but in the world," he told Sky News.

"My fellow Sydneysiders can feel very confident that if anyone can get on top of this without shutting the city down it is the NSW government."

Morrison needs to be grilled over those comments just hours before Berejiklian put Sydney into lockdown.

Last edited:
Outbreaks in NT..

Yeah thanks Gladys you arrogant "smile"

Now Glady's saying her lockdown is based on the 'science & health advice'..
How is that any different to what the other states have done? She's just waited a week longer until it's out of control.
Still no mandate for masks.
Fail.

‘The horse has bolted’: Experts warn two-week lockdown may not be enough

An explosion of COVID-19 has forced Sydney into a two-week lockdown with the rest of the state on high alert for further transmission as health experts warned it could take longer than a fortnight to bring the highly contagious outbreak under control.

As the Delta strain of the virus continues to take hold across the city, residents of greater Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Wollongong have been issued strict stay-at-home orders.

However, leading epidemiologists warned the widespread lockdown would likely extend beyond two weeks, arguing for the NSW government waited days too long to take decisive action.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian convened an urgent meeting of her crisis cabinet on Saturday, where NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant recommended a two-week lockdown in a bid to contain the spread.

“A few days ago I said this was the scariest time that I felt since the pandemic started and that’s proven to be the case,” Ms Berejiklian said on Saturday.

Under the orders, people must stay at home unless it is for one of the four main essential reasons: shopping for essential goods, medical or compassionate needs, outdoor exercise in groups of 10 or less and essential work or education.

Community sport will be prohibited and weddings from Monday will be cancelled. Funerals will be limited to one person per four square metres, capped at 100 people, and masks compulsory indoors.

Anyone in regional NSW who has been in Greater Sydney since June 21 is also required to isolate at home for 14 days, with authorities desperate to avoid seeding in regional communities.

“We’re asking you to stay at home for 14 days since you’ve left that area, and the reason for that is we want to make sure that you minimise your transmission risk to anyone else,” Dr Chant said.

Restrictions are also imposed on regional NSW, with no more than five visitors allowed in homes, 50 per cent capacity at outdoor events, mandatory indoor mask-wearing and the one person per four square metres rule back for all indoor and outdoor settings.

There were 29 new cases in the 24 hours to 8pm Friday, taking the total number in the Bondi cluster to 80, with 20 of those associated with a birthday party in West Hoxton Park. Two cases remain under investigation, including a child who attends St Charles’ Catholic Primary School in Waverley.

In a change Ms Berejiklian said was designed to reduce confusion about the way the daily numbers were reported, NSW Health did not reveal how many cases were recorded after the 8pm cut-off on Friday.

Meanwhile, NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said there was insufficient evidence to establish whether the eastern suburbs driver at the centre of the outbreak had breached public health orders.

In a statement on Saturday, Commissioner Fuller said that neither the limousine driver who was transporting international air crew nor his employer would be charged.

On Saturday night New Zealand suspended quarantine-free travel from Australia for three days.

Health Minister Brad Hazzard said the Delta variant was “proving to be a very formidable foe”.

“No matter what defensive steps we’re taking at the moment, the virus seems to understand how to counter-attack different locations and that’s causing us a high level of concern,” Mr Hazzard said.

He said seeing the number of cases written on a board in the NSW Health conference room on Saturday morning gave a real sense of “the urgency that we’re facing.”

Mr Hazzard also foreshadowed a health order which will set out to employers a requirement that employees should work from home if possible.

Epidemiologist and World Health Organisation adviser Mary-Louise McLaws said a lockdown should have been introduced just days into the outbreak, due to the known infectiousness of the strain.

“The horse has bolted, but the horse started bolting last week,” Professor McLaws said.

In a video message from the Lodge in Canberra, where he is completing his own isolation, the PM said the “necessary decision” to stay on top of the NSW outbreak.

Clinical epidemiologist Nancy Baxter said it was a mistake not to introduce a wider lockdown early last week and the city would be “lucky” if it only endured stay-at-home orders until July 9.

The head of the Melbourne School of Population and Global Health said the lockdown wouldn’t be “short and sharp ... it’s going to be a gradual release of lockdown”.

Yes I saw that and edited the post.

Doesn't seem to be working out too well.

Indonesia’s Doctors Got Vaccinated With Sinovac, and Got Sick

Yeah, good that you deleted your knee-jerk assumptions about Indonesians and Chinese people I guess.

The situation in Indonesia, like many developing countries is terrible, as your highly empathetic posts show. Nearly 500 doctors dead from Covid and a large number of frontline nurses as well. Lockdowns are not practical in a country where most people have to earn income daily and don't have money in the bank. People have to pay for their own testing so people don't get tested. People die from Covid and are buried undiagnosed. Public hospitals are under-resourced and overstressed.

Vaccination is the only road out for countries like Indonesia - I see that Australia will donate AZ vaccine to developing countries in the region going forward which you could argue is first world *smile* - here, have the vaccine that we don't want - but I guess it helps. It will still take years to vaccinate 300 million people.

Another reason why we need to get our population vaccinated as soon as possible, because we can't wait for the rest of the world to solve the problem for us.

Another reason why we need to get our population vaccinated as soon as possible, because we can't wait for the rest of the world to solve the problem for us.
This is the last time I'm going to reiterate this... for now. But I'll return to smash you over the head with it.

Covid-19 vaccination no panacea (paywalled)

Covid-19 vaccination won’t be a panacea, Liberal MP Dave Sharma has warned, flagging ongoing restrictions even after the majority of the population has received the jab.

With the outbreak across Sydney amplifying concerns about the federal government’s sluggish rollout of the vaccine program, the Wentworth MP other countries with a higher vaccination rate — like Singapore — were in a more severe lockdown than Australia.

“Vaccination itself is not a cure; they’re going to need to be other measures that we keep in place as this disease also varies and changes and evolves,” Mr Sharma told Sky News.

“I wouldn’t want people to think that just once we get to a level of vaccination — yes, we’ll be closer to normal — but there is still going to need to be public health restrictions, movement restrictions and a few other things, because that’s what the overseas experience demonstrates to us.”

This is the last time I'm going to reiterate this... for now. But I'll return to smash you over the head with it.

Covid-19 vaccination no panacea (paywalled)

Covid-19 vaccination won’t be a panacea, Liberal MP Dave Sharma has warned, flagging ongoing restrictions even after the majority of the population has received the jab.

With the outbreak across Sydney amplifying concerns about the federal government’s sluggish rollout of the vaccine program, the Wentworth MP other countries with a higher vaccination rate — like Singapore — were in a more severe lockdown than Australia.

“Vaccination itself is not a cure; they’re going to need to be other measures that we keep in place as this disease also varies and changes and evolves,” Mr Sharma told Sky News.

“I wouldn’t want people to think that just once we get to a level of vaccination — yes, we’ll be closer to normal — but there is still going to need to be public health restrictions, movement restrictions and a few other things, because that’s what the overseas experience demonstrates to us.”
This type of language is because so many refuse to get the jab as part of a voluntary program.
Part of the shitstorm forecast when those that are vaccinated demand things open up.

Reactions: 1 users