Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Someone asked earlier what’s the Covid hospitalisation rate in the USA relative to those unvaccinated.

It is 97%.
They mentioned on the news the other night it was 60% in the UK. This can't be right.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
You can still get it when vaccinated. But if everyone is vaccinated then then the chances are minimalised. I like the idea that if you are not vacccinated, bad luck and you can't go anywhere.
And those who cant be vaccinated for health reasons? (not trying to argue, but it is an complex question.)
Obviously life will need to return to some sort of closer to "normal" at some point, but the "when" is a difficult question.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Disagree, it doesn't matter how many cases there are, as long as they were all in isolation during the lockdown period then the risk to the community is tiny, if anything at all.

If they have several days of all cases being in isolation then I expect to re-open on Wednesday.

If all the cases are in isolation then new cases should be very low, if there are lots of new cases then you would have to think that there are positive cases in the community.

If the new cases are in iso then surely the number of new cases should be dropping.

DS

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If all the cases are in isolation then new cases should be very low, if there are lots of new cases then you would have to think that there are positive cases in the community.

If the new cases are in iso then surely the number of new cases should be dropping.

DS

It may just be a timing thing with the increases over the last 2 days. Ie. they were identified as close contacts by contact tracers, they then test and test positive. Remain in isolation. Risk to community is low, but if we are ahead of the game (as it appears we may be) then we have put people into iso and then told them to test, hence cases go up. The cases going up is an output of the action undertaken by contact tracers.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

DS
Often those in isolation still have contact with others- their household, who should then also be in iso.
And i think that is what we are still seeing, family contacts getting infected.
I would expect, and hope, that those family contacts will be exhausted soon and numbers will quickly drop.

I agree with Mr P above that things are still looking promising for lockdown to end next week, either Wednesday as planned, or a few days later.

1626915788156.png

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
They mentioned on the news the other night it was 60% in the UK. This can't be right.
Not sure if you're saying the USA or UK % isn't right but the USA 97% came from ABC 7 New York News as part of Fauci and Walensky giving submissions at the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee hearing on the federal government's coronavirus response.

This CNBC article and White House announcement would seem to confirm that US %.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
124 new cases in NSW, 37 in iso while infected and 22 in iso for part of the period while infected.

Not great.

DS

They've also been pushing that this is a SW Sydney issue. 54 of 124 cases were from SW Sydney so actually the majority ARE NOT in SW Sydney.

They are in for a much much longer lockdown.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Gladys now telling us the Delta strain is different & nobody's ever gotten on top of it.

PS: Except Victoria.

Hazzard was saying the same. NSW were criticising VIC last year because of the outbreak, but his response just now was that last year we had no idea about the virus and just had to act on what we believed might work, ie. there was no history to base our actions on. He's saying they are in the same situation now with Delta, even though hard restrictions in VIC appear to be controlling the spread, which NSW has currently failed to do so.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It's bad enough we have a defective and incompetent PM crushing the country, but now Berejiklian has to add weight to the compression.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Gladys has inadvertently just admitted that they thought that NSW was different and wouldn't fall into the same issues the rest of the world did by going through a short lockdown.

She was asked about the original restrictions and whether they were designed to bring the number of cases down and she said no, they were designed to stop thousands and thousands contracting the virus, so their original response was to live with it, even though NOWHERE in the world has been able to do that. She believed that they were special for some reason. That for me is a massive fail and a real sign of the arrogance that NSW have shown throughout the pandemic.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I totally get the Gladys angst,

I'm down on her too.

but FWIW, I dont reckon the State of Origin thing is either helpful or healthy to ruminate on.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul

I'm down on her too.

but FWIW, I dont reckon the State of Origin thing is either helpful or healthy to ruminate on.

That would be a mature approach, and i note this is exactly the way Dan Andrews has handled questions thrown his way about the NSW outbreak, never takes the bait from jerno's and only offers support and sympathy.

For me personally, I feel a sense of schadenfreude towards NSW. You don't have to look hard to find half a dozen videos or audio recordings where Berko has looked down disdainfully upon Victorians for our (ultimately successful) approach to lockdowns. Its sheer arrogance that NSW finds itself in this situation and its irrefutable that they've simply been lucky up until now in not experiencing a similar scenario.

For the good of the rest of the country, it would be nice to see a reduction in their daily case numbers but its hard to see that happening unless they implement a Melbourne-style lockdown and severely restrict movement of everyone. But that would mean admitting that Victoria had it right all along and as we saw from Morrison yesterday, the PM will never admit he got it wrong. I suspect Berko is in the same mould.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

I'm down on her too.

We have a PM, a Treasurer & Gladys herself to thank for that. THEY made it about Victoria by their commentary when we were struggling. We're pissed off.

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I think the current handling of the outbreak in NSW should put to rest the debates of whether they handled the pandemic better than anyone else, globally, or whether they were just lucky.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Like I said, I get it. Not trying to pontificate.

Im just trying to deal with it like A Richmond Man.

I can't control Gladys or Sydney people or what they do, so I dont worry about it.

I just got shut out of some very important business in Qld, 50km a way, while Anastaisa Paluscheque swans about in Tokyo FFS.

But thats out of my control.

Richmond Man.

I'll worry about what I can control, which is beating these handbaggers *smile* on Sunday. :cool:

hang in there everybody. this too shall pass.

I want to share a bit of a zen story of Richmond Man, that made me so happy and proud yesterday,

watching EZJ playing a high level match. He was stationed in a very unaccustomed FF. 3 times in a row, he leads into a paddock clear inside 50, and got utterly burnt by his teammates who sprayed behinds over his head from outside 50. EZJ takes himself up into the play, wins a ball, streams into an easy open goal ............ and handballs it to one of the blokes who burnt him, in the goal square.

Richmond Man.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tasmanian man dies after receiving AstraZeneca vaccine

A Tasmanian man in his 40s has died after receiving the first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine, the state's health authorities have said.

According to an update from the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), the death was one of two in the past week.

The second was a 48-year-old woman from Victoria.

The TGA update also confirmed the Tasmanian man was aged 44.

Tasmanian State Health Commander Kath Morgan-Wicks said the man was a confirmed case of thrombocytopenia syndrome known as TTS.

He was vaccinated in a Tasmanian state vaccination clinic.

There have been 6.1 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine administered, and six deaths related to the first dose, the TGA has said.