Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It's now bad for the entire country. If it gets out of control in NSW it's going to be very hard to stop it going everywhere.
Yeah but it's no different from the VIC outbreak last year really. Every other state slammed their borders shut to Victorians until we got it under control. All states need to ensure we do the same to NSW until they have it under control. States need to protect themselves from the COVID mismanagement of the NSW authorities.

Gladys also needs to introduce a ring of steel to the Sydney metro area as well as a 5km travel boundary from home. At the moment it's only certain LGAs that are restricted from going outside their own areas. Theoretically you could live in Penrith and visit a Coles in Manly and go for a swim whilst you're over there. That's *smile* ridiculous.

I don't get why they don't just mimic what we did in Victoria in the 2nd wave last year. Our case numbers were around 3-4 times higher than what current NSW numbers are yet we locked down hard and got it done in 3-4 months. If they do the same they should achieve the result in a shorter time frame as the numbers aren't as high as we had.

Why won't they do it? They way they're going they'll be locked down until Christmas.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I did some pre-border closure business in brisbane yesterday ,

and the level of mask, check-in and distancing compliance,

is the best ive ever seen.

at least 99% masks outside, correctly worn

take a bow Brissy.

Better mask compliance than i see in Richmond which does have multiple exposure sites :(

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I don't get why they don't just mimic what we did in Victoria in the 2nd wave last year. Our case numbers were around 3-4 times higher than what current NSW numbers are yet we locked down hard and got it done in 3-4 months. If they do the same they should achieve the result in a shorter time frame as the numbers aren't as high as we had.

Why won't they do it? They way they're going they'll be locked down until Christmas.

they should absolutely do that but Delta is much harder to deal with. Victoria went hard and early on Delta earlier this year and we are doing it again, it's the only option apart from rapid mass vax. I fear that once delta gets to these numbers that's it's almost impossible to control.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Belatedly the Feds and NSW are realising that vaccination is indeed a high priority. Vaccine hesistancy is a big problem too - NSW has only used 15% of its AZ stock. 5 deaths already in NSW in this wave.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Pretty good result in VIC. 14 cases, 10 in isolation for the whole period, 3 partially isolated (average time in the community 24 hours) and 1 under investigation.

Hopefully looking good for Tuesday night.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
It I simply just so so obvious.
I really don't understand why there is a belief and acceptance in what idiots say in the media and on social media.
I honestly believed we were an educated, intelligent and insightful (gulp) country.
We are not. It appears we are just plain ignorant and unable to decipher sensible non biased advice --from
agenda driven garbage.
I really despair and hope those like Nic Coates can be heard.
Geez the human race has a long way to go.

Last edited:

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Gladys still not locking the city up!:mad::mad::mad:

AstraZeneca being pushed as the solution.

I'm due to get my 2nd AZ jab in 2 weeks. 3 months after the first but I guess it's not a race.
This strategy will make many Australians exposed to this dangerous virus.

Ok Gov't stuffed up in not sourcing enough alternate vaccines but worrying about what we haven't got now ain't going to help, like it or not AstraZeneca remains an immediate solution and a highly effective vaccine.
If UK hadn't mass vaccinated with AZ how much worse would their death toll be?
Ask Indonesia if they would be happy with mass vaccination of AstraZeneca, (guess what NSW is just starting to ask that question now).

Australia Latest details:
approximately 6.1 million doses of the AstraZeneca have been administered in Australia, 6 deaths.

UK May figures
It found 242 cases of clotting cases and 49 deaths after an estimated 28.5 million AstraZeneca vaccines doses were administered across the UK

Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I can't see hopitalised and fully vaccinated for the UK, but what is striking is the way the rate of deaths by COVID no longer tracks the case numbers with so much of the population vaccinated.

Compare the outbreak in early 2021 when cases went up, and so did deaths. Now, cases have gone up but deaths have only increased by a very small amount:

View attachment 12863

This is the difference getting the vaccination rollout right makes.
84/73/96 a day might seem like cause for celebration after experiencing 1500+. Not so much here after 7 deaths in the calendar year.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Ok Gov't stuffed up in not sourcing enough alternate vaccines but worrying about what we haven't got now ain't going to help, like it or not AstraZeneca remains an immediate solution and a highly effective vaccine.
If UK hadn't mass vaccinated with AZ how much worse would their death toll be?
Ask Indonesia if they would be happy with mass vaccination of AstraZeneca, (guess what NSW is just starting to ask that question now).

Australia Latest details:
approximately 6.1 million doses of the AstraZeneca have been administered in Australia, 6 deaths.

UK May figures
It found 242 cases of clotting cases and 49 deaths after an estimated 28.5 million AstraZeneca vaccines doses were administered across the UK

So, with a much larger sample size in the UK, we can probably conclude that the fatalities are running at about 1 per 500,000 for AZ. Add to this that the rate of fatalities is likely falling as we have far more expertise identifying and dealing with the blood clots than when they first appeared.

These are good odds and I would think better than a fair number of other medications which are commonly used.

The scare over the AZ vaccine is simply over the top.

I'll be lining up for my second dose in late August after the 12 weeks have passed. Would have liked to have done it a little earlier but was waiting the 2 weeks after the 'flu vaccine which was the advice at the time. Roll on the second dose and full vaccination, and everyone else, get it if you can.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Younger people are now getting very sick by the Delta variant. That's definitely changed the thinking.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
So, with a much larger sample size in the UK, we can probably conclude that the fatalities are running at about 1 per 500,000 for AZ. Add to this that the rate of fatalities is likely falling as we have far more expertise identifying and dealing with the blood clots than when they first appeared.

These are good odds and I would think better than a fair number of other medications which are commonly used.

The scare over the AZ vaccine is simply over the top.

I'll be lining up for my second dose in late August after the 12 weeks have passed. Would have liked to have done it a little earlier but was waiting the 2 weeks after the 'flu vaccine which was the advice at the time. Roll on the second dose and full vaccination, and everyone else, get it if you can.

DS
Spot on David. The scare campaign on the AZ vaccine is a disgrace. Healthy young women have more chance of developing blood clots from the birth control pill yet they don't stop taking that.

I'm in the same boat as you. Had my first dose of AZ a few days before ATAGI said "er sorry, we meant everyone over 60; not over 50" :rolleyes: But IDGAF; I'll be getting my second dose in late August when due.

Reactions: 6 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
It I simply just so so obvious.
I really don't understand why there is a belief and acceptance in what idiots say in the media and on social media.
I honestly believed we were an educated, intelligent and insightful (gulp) country.
We are not. It appears we are just plain ignorant and unable to decipher sensible non biased advice from
agenda driven garbage.
I really despair and hope those like Nic Coates can be heard.
Geez the human race have a long way to go.

Gee p & t, you're right the human race has a long way to go. I despair about it sometimes. 100 years ago the Spanish Flu pandemic ravaged the worlds population, yet here we are after all this time & our worlds leaders seem to have learned nothing.
There used to be multiple quarantine stations on mainland Australia, but along the way various governments decided that they were a waste of money & resources & scrapped them. Oh how we wish those facilities were now available. The laughable "Hotel Quarantine system" has proved to be totally inadequate for the purpose. The slowness of reaction by a vast number of leaders is telling.

I been told many times during my life that we should learn from history & not make the same mistakes that previous generations have.

But sadly that's doesn't seem to be the case, now more than ever ideology, greed, self importance & blatant corruption are the order of the day.
A countrys leaders are supposed to work for the benefit of society as a whole but this is no longer the case.

It's 2021, almost exactly 100 years ago to the day, my Grandfather died from the Spanish flu, leaving my Grandmother widowed with 3 children aged 9, 7 & 4 to support. My Dad was the 7 year old.

Now the same thing is happening to many families throughout the world.

When does the learning start?

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 2 users