Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
In the interests of fairness it should be pointed out that the CDC VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Events Recording System) shows that there have been 10991 deaths and 463K adverse events from taking the vaccine. Worldwide it is about 40k deaths and 3 million adverse events. Also recent research out of china shows the Delta viral load to be 1200 times greater than the alpha. That's why its much more transmissable and the incubation period is averaging 4 days rather than 6. Further there is likely to be vaccine escape with the new variants.

So while vaccination is a key measure there also needs to be room for anti viral therapy to treat those that get infected so that viral loads can be diminished. While different in mechanism to HIV some of the eventual treatment will be similar. There is no cure for HIV but through medications that reduce viral loads people with HIV can live (almost) normally.

There is also disturbing research out of Israel that those fully vaccinated with Phizer were only 40 percent protected from infection although around 88% against hospitalisation. This low figure might be due to the fact that they only had a three week gap from dose 1 and 2.

There is of course a lot of money to be made by pharmaceutical companies in developing additional therapies and an endless supply of booster vaccines. It would be nice if there was a safe drug out there with anti viral and anti inflammatory properties that could be repurposed for Covid.

For clarity, that's not really what vaers does.

From Vaers:
"VAERS accepts reports of adverse events and reactions that occur following vaccination. Healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public can submit reports to VAERS. While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. Most reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically."

So it's used for tracking and it's a massive data set for identifying possible trends for further investigation.

It's not true to say it records adverse affects and deaths from the vaccines, just ones that happen after them.

For example, the list of adverse effects includes things like testing positive for Ebola.

Which is clearly not linked to the vaccine.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
From Wednesday:
- Vic School kids return to school.
- Travel limit Removed.
- Masks remain mandatory indoors and outdoors.
- Hospitality opens under strict patron caps.
- Outdoor gatherings Max 10 people.
- Retail, gyms, hairdressers and beauty are open with one person per 4 sqm limit.
- workplaces are open with a 25 per cent capacity or 10 people
- no home visits
WHAT ABOUT THE GOOOOOLLLLLF !!! ?? THE GOOOOOLF !!!

1627336524665.jpeg

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah, as I said, right wingers.

The US looks to be in a bit of a bind. They have vaccines, it's free, but they have a lot of vaccine hesitant/anti-vaccine people so they are having trouble getting the rate high enough to protect those who can't vaccinate. Not sure what will convince them, especially after that Hillsong guy who died and was asking for the vaccine - he was anti-vax until on his death bed.

I don't think Australia will have the same proportion of people refusing a vaccine, but it still remains to be seen how high we can get the vaccination rate.

It would be nice to have effective treatments. We no longer fear infections, not because of vaccines, but because of effective treatments via antibiotics. Treatments for viruses do seem to be more difficult, I'm sure there is progress but a hard one.

DS

almost all crazy tin foil hat conspiracy theories are right wing. Many of the southern states in the USA have lower education standards and vote right wing. The southern states also tend to be more religious and have a far less take up of vaccines. Its not a coincidence in the slightest. I’m sure the whole libertarianism garbage that Americans take pride in is also a factor. Being offered a free vaccine must be a paradox for them

Local sport?

yes, but i believe its a crowd limit of 100

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
No charges to be laid against the removalists from Sydney. No worries, come to Victoria, don't wear masks, spread the highly infectious Delta variant everywhere and cause an outbreak that comes with a 12 day lockdown and deliberately refrain from providing authorities with the proper and full detail about your movements. All good chaps on your way.

But don't you dare sit in a park on your own without a mask on; $5,000 fine for that.

Obviously all too hard for the VIC authorities. Just get the low hanging fruit.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
10 local cases in Victoria..all isolating. Brilliant news.

Another clear sign our lockdown is working.
Absolutely. If Gladys / Hazaard etc don’t change their ‘settings’ it feels like it will all be for naught though. Someome with it will come across the border undetected or breaking their permit rules and we will be off to the races again. Need every state to basically do it the same way including as vaccination levels rise.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Absolutely. If Gladys / Hazaard etc don’t change their ‘settings’ it feels like it will all be for naught though. Someome with it will come across the border undetected or breaking their permit rules and we will be off to the races again. Need every state to basically do it the same way including as vaccination levels rise.
This scenario is highly likely. We will be plunged into another lockdown but the authorities will pat the offenders on the bum with a tsk tsk and send them back to NSW. They'll be too busy chasing maskless dog walkers to do anything more about it.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
No charges to be laid against the removalists from Sydney. No worries, come to Victoria, don't wear masks, spread the highly infectious Delta variant everywhere and cause an outbreak that comes with a 12 day lockdown and deliberately refrain from providing authorities with the proper and full detail about your movements. All good chaps on your way.

But don't you dare sit in a park on your own without a mask on; $5,000 fine for that.

I thought that this was still under investigation? Has a decision been finalised?

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria

yep, precedent was set last year, fine people for potential to spread the virus, but if you actually spread it, youget off free

& by fine people , I mean white people , if you are in WA & happen to be indigenous, straight to gaol

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
ABC is reporting this morning that it has been finalised. Move on nothing to see here.
Well that's garbage if true. It seems these removalists were charged so I wonder why they weren't? Or is this the same group. I'm confused.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Well that's garbage if true. It seems these removalists were charged so I wonder why they weren't? Or is this the same group. I'm confused.

The removalists that tried to sneak into Mildura did so after the Vic authorities decreed that removalists from NSW were no longer allowed to enter Victoria. This was done in response to the other removalists that spread the virus and caused the lockdown. They had a permit (how they were allowed to do another job and continue to SA after dropping off in Craigieburn is the height of stupidity but that's another story) but flouted all regulations and spread the virus without any penalty at all.

As Taz posted earlier; don't do anything that has the potential to spread the virus or else you'll get belted by the authorities. However go ahead and actually spread the virus and you'll get off scot free. The guy who came from the Sydney red zone back to Craigieburn but thought it would be a dandy idea to drop into Coles whilst in he was supposed to be in isolation, and spread the virus, also got off scot free.

Unfathomable logic from the VIC authorities :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Looks to be a partial lifting of the lockdown for Vic, probably sensible given NSW don't have it under control. Shops open but limited numbers, footy crowds look to be out for a couple of weeks, no home visits.

Going to be difficult to balance this given the virus can come here from NSW and we would want to limit any impact if it does get over the border.

NSW numbers are bad, I was at least hoping they would plateau but the numbers appear to be rising.

DS

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
For clarity, that's not really what vaers does.

From Vaers:
"VAERS accepts reports of adverse events and reactions that occur following vaccination. Healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public can submit reports to VAERS. While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. Most reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically."

So it's used for tracking and it's a massive data set for identifying possible trends for further investigation.

It's not true to say it records adverse affects and deaths from the vaccines, just ones that happen after them.

For example, the list of adverse effects includes things like testing positive for Ebola.

Which is clearly not linked to the vaccine.
True. The better wording would be linked to rather than from. Other databases that provide similar information are Yellow Card (UK) Eudra Vigilante (EU) and Vigi access (WHO). Interestingly on the WHO Vigi Access database the Tetanus vaccine which has been used since 1968 has recorded 32 deaths and 14697 adverse events as being linked.

Last edited:

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
172 cases today in NSW. All time high.
60 ++ in the community.

its not an all time high. its their highest for this outbreak. the NSW all time high is 212 in April 2020.

Looks to be a partial lifting of the lockdown for Vic, probably sensible given NSW don't have it under control. Shops open but limited numbers, footy crowds look to be out for a couple of weeks, no home visits.

Going to be difficult to balance this given the virus can come here from NSW and we would want to limit any impact if it does get over the border.

NSW numbers are bad, I was at least hoping they would plateau but the numbers appear to be rising.

DS

Andrews giving a backhanded slap at NSW for not putting in a ring of steel. can't say i blame him. Many of the restrictions staying are as a result of NSW

Reactions: 1 users