Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

I think they are contacts of.previous cases. Similar to us I think they'll get on top of it pretty quickly
Agree. Funny how if a state locks down in it quickly, they get out of it quicker and before it spirals. This lesson does not seem to have been learned by Gladys.

I reckon Sydney may be at the peak too? hopefully.

the proportion of cases out and about dropped drastically.

I think they may have finally hit a sweet spot of awareness and enforcement?

I hope so.

The number out and about is pretty consistent actually. No real drop off. They show it on this site under wild cases.

Still more pain to come unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
Just claimed there is no roadmap for the Delta variant and that other states may be in and out of lockdown. No roadmap aside from the one that VIC showed you what to do.

She is using this as a push to get more vaccines into NSW, ie. higher than their proportion.

The pessimist in me wonders if she actually wanted this to outbreak so that she could push the vaccine rollout. They threw their arms up very quickly to say they couldn't fight it and they would need to vaccinate their way out of it.

The pessimist in me wonders if she actually wanted this to outbreak so that she could push the vaccine rollout. They threw their arms up very quickly to say they couldn't fight it and they would need to vaccinate their way out of it.
No, she didn't want the outbreak. It's completely ruined her aura of greatness and the queen of the gold standard. All she is doing now is damage control and whatever else Lib pollsters are telling her she needs to do to help ScoMo win the next election

yeah right.

wishful thinking by me. Cheers

I do hope you are right though and NSW gets out of it quickly, but I don't think their focus right now is on suppressing the virus, but on pushing more and more to get vaccinated. I think they know this will go on for months, but will enable them to continue to push the Feds to give them more vaccines and therefore come out of this in a stronger position than other states as vaccines will be prioritised to NSW. I think this seems to be their focus now and makes sense why they seem to surrender to the virus so meekly (remember Hazzard almost throwing his arms up after 2 weeks indicating that maybe they are better just letting it rip).

I think they are trying to twist this to their long term advantage even if it kills some people. They are collateral damage I suspect. Ruthless leadership if thats what they are doing.

• Wow
In the meantime, why don't you examine what is happening in the countries with the highest vaccination rates and report back with your findings?

Sure, I love these challenges! Here you go... Canada leading the pack with about 60% fully vaxxed.

1627785464044.png

Even with Delta kicking in, only a small increase in cases. Compare to April/May, massive drop! Thanks vaccines!

1627785528258.png

Daily deaths you say? OK, also super low. Lets say around 150 per day in Jan/Feb, down to 10s/20s now. Thanks vaccines!!!

1627785586205.png

Ask me another.

Reactions: 1 users
Just claimed there is no roadmap for the Delta variant and that other states may be in and out of lockdown. No roadmap aside from the one that VIC showed you what to do.

She is using this as a push to get more vaccines into NSW, ie. higher than their proportion.

Premier on Queensland, Victoria lockdowns
Ms Berejiklian was asked whether she underestimated the Delta variant of Covid-19 and if she regrets not locking down sooner like her Queensland and NSW counterparts.
Victoria came out of lockdown on Tuesday after bringing in restrictions on July 15. Queensland re-introduced a lockdown on Saturday at 4pm which at this stage is expected to last until Tuesday.
Meanwhile, NSW remains in lockdown which is scheduled to finish on August 28. Greater Sydney and surrounding areas have been under lockdown for about a month.
But the premier said "there is no roadmap for the Delta variant" and "no perfect way" to deal with it.
“The benefit of hindsight is a great thing to have but other states might be facing regular lockdowns in and out all the time, what I am saying for New South Wales is we want this to be, yes it is painful, but we want this to be the last lockdown we have and we can make that happen if we get vaccinated," she said.
"We knew early on this was a scary variant.
"We also never know, this is a challenge with Delta, the undetected strains of transmission which may have been in the community and that is really critical to assess.”
Will the lockdown end on August 28?
On the August 28 lockdown ending date, Ms Berejiklian said she believes "of course" NSW can turn it around.
“There are a lot of things dependent on that. Firstly, high rates of vaccination, especially in southwestern and Western Sydney where we know the virus is particularly virulent,” she said.
“Secondly, people continuing to do the right thing and higher rates of testing.
“We know that we have been successful in preventing thousands and thousands of cases until this point in time.
“But we also know how challenging it is to reduce the number of cases that we have, but with higher rates of vaccination we can do it.
"With higher rates of testing we can do it and let's make August the month where more and more people come forward and get vaccinated because the vaccine is protecting human life, is bringing people out of hospital but it is also helping reduce the spread.”

Kindest interpretation is that they know they won’t get out of lockdown so the best hopeful messaging is to just focus on vaccination rate and then spin it politically that they are the best.

Worst interpretation is they believe their own *smile* and they couldn’t have done it better.

This morning Brad Hazzard said something close to... Dr Chant is hopeful covid cases will be at zero by the end of the four-week lockdown."

Inspiring stuff. NOT.

Sure, I love these challenges! Here you go... Canada leading the pack with about 60% fully vaxxed.

View attachment 12950

Even with Delta kicking in, only a small increase in cases. Compare to April/May, massive drop! Thanks vaccines!

View attachment 12951

Daily deaths you say? OK, also super low. Lets say around 150 per day in Jan/Feb, down to 10s/20s now. Thanks vaccines!!!

View attachment 12952

Ask me another.

And something I think is important to add, Canada has around 12 million more people than Australia, who are also spread widely across a huge landmass.

In the meantime, why don't you examine what is happening in the countries with the highest vaccination rates and report back with your findings?

Let's do another one. Italy, so badly affected in the first wave maybe, they have high motivation to vax their way out. Turns out they are 4th on the hit parade of total vax per cap. How are they doing?

1627796595344.png

so about 50% fully vaxxed. Not bad, but a fair way off herd immunity.

Cases are up - still a long way off Jan/Feb, but up. Delta kicking in one would think, maybe relaxed social distancing due to fatigue? Not sure.

1627796685960.png

Deaths must be going up too right though @LeeToRainesToRoach if vaccination is ineffective. Let's take a look.

1627796749233.png

Nope. Deaths have not spiked at all. Now to be fair reduced death rates could be attributed in part to better treatment options, but hey, still impressive right?

So why did you want me to look at countries with high rates of vaccination again @LeeToRainesToRoach ? All seems to support my argument that a faster rollout is better.

Let's do another one @LeeToRainesToRoach , closer to home. Great vaccination so far - 70% plus have received at least one dose. But yeah, Singapore is a small island city state with lots of money, so you'd expect them to get it done faster than us.

1627797341034.png

Same story. Cases up.

1627797407453.png

In July around 170-120 cases per day, similar magnitude to NSW. Remember NSW has had 14 deaths in the latest outbreak. Both Australia and Singers have high quality health care, so you'd expect death rates to be broadly similar yeah?

1627797541419.png

Nope, I'm wrong. 1 death in July.

Gee, I wonder what Singapore is doing so much better than we are.

Let's do another one @LeeToRainesToRoach , closer to home. Great vaccination so far - 70% plus have received at least one dose. But yeah, Singapore is a small island city state with lots of money, so you'd expect them to get it done faster than us.

View attachment 12956

Same story. Cases up.

View attachment 12957

In July around 170-120 cases per day, similar magnitude to NSW. Remember NSW has had 14 deaths in the latest outbreak. Both Australia and Singers have high quality health care, so you'd expect death rates to be broadly similar yeah?

View attachment 12958

Nope, I'm wrong. 1 death in July.

Gee, I wonder what Singapore is doing so much better than we are.
Work with a lot of Singaporeans. Their government is a benevolent dictatorship so much easier for them to boss their population around / population is generally pretty compliant. A Singaporean would never say that in their democracy but it is what it is.

Their last spread was due to spread in 'karaoke bars'. These are basically brothels. Probably quite a lot of non-reporting going on as husbands reluctant to probably dob themselves in. Was interesting they managed this message in the media. They also lock up all the low income people in towers once their is an outbreak - but easier for them to do that as everyone lives in towers.

Work with a lot of Singaporeans. Their government is a benevolent dictatorship so much easier for them to boss their population around / population is generally pretty compliant. A Singaporean would never say that in their democracy but it is what it is.

Their last spread was due to spread in 'karaoke bars'. These are basically brothels. Probably quite a lot of non-reporting going on as husbands reluctant to probably dob themselves in. Was interesting they managed this message in the media. They also lock up all the low income people in towers once their is an outbreak - but easier for them to do that as everyone lives in towers.

Yeah I've worked in Singapore too Roar, all that is true. Singapore is not an outlier though - countries with higher vaccination rates are doing well, so I thank Lee for asking me to investigate. Not sure what he was hoping for in terms of suggesting vaccination is not working, it it clearly is. Italians are not a compliant population for example, but it's a similar story there.

Classic Lee shoot-himself-in-the-foot moment.

Yeah I've worked in Singapore too Roar, all that is true.
I've lived here for 24 years. Not sure either of you have it right about Singapore.

Fair enough. What’s the go?
Where do you want me to start? Singaporeans do comment and criticise their government.

Current wave is a result of two hotspots. Jurong Fishery Port, the largest and most likely brought in by Indonesian fishermen, and a local KTV lounge. Theres no disguising what the KTV lounge is, it's legal in Singapore. Was wildly reported and officialdom even commented that it might be harder to contact trace because husbands don't want to reveal where they have been.

Not sure what locked up low income people or Towers you are talking about.