Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

I do think anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated is a bit of a *smile*. But why should a rich *smile*, who can play tennis, be allowed to work on site, in Victoria, whilst another *smile*, poor, middle class, wealthy or whatever, who can't play tennis is prevented from working on site, in Victoria?
That's why AFL players should be compelled to get vaxxed. Paying spectators can't get in without it. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure whether being an anti vaxxer counts as 'pushing the envelope'. I mean in a sense it does but not in a good way.
I just don't see it as a cartoonists job or even moral obligation to "promote" or endorse any cause, no matter how "right" or noble that cause might be. They may choose to do so but their primary value is to provide a perspective. And being delivered by way of illustration in the main, that difference in perspective to say a written columnist can be quite stark. The general push from illiberal sectors of society to suppress unpopular views particularly those made inside miainstream , semi regulated media like a major newspaper rings some warning bells.

Aah, I hope something changes in WA, I was hoping to get over there in January. Missed my father's 90th and he is not well now, going into a home as his wife can't care for him. Once we start opening up the borders need to be opened for the vaccinated.

I know the vaccination rates are not as high as they should be in WA, but if they set a deadline then I reckon they will rise quickly.

Lee, yep, CSL privatised in 1994, Keating's government. How f***ing dumb was that? Like closing Fairfield and plenty of other dumb things done over the years (closing those quarantine stations like Point Nepean ain't looking real good either, no idea who closed that).

DS

The tennis.

So Brett Sutton, rightly, says that it's not his decision who is allowed entry into the country, vaccinated, or not. He is correct in saying that.

However, he is the bloke that signs health directions which enable or restrict a persons ability to work, participate in society and so on.

I do think anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated is a bit of a *smile*. But why should a rich *smile*, who can play tennis, be allowed to work on site, in Victoria, whilst another *smile*, poor, middle class, wealthy or whatever, who can't play tennis is prevented from working on site, in Victoria?

The tennis players have plenty of notice. Not like the 2 weeks notice construction workers had, nor the extremely short notice hospitality workers have just been given.

As far as I know the current rule is that if you are not vaccinated you can't enter Australia. Hence, it really isn't Sutton's decision as Djokovic simply shouldn't be here. If the Feds grant some sort of exemption for tennis players then ok it becomes Sutton's decision.

AFL players are mandated to have vaccinations required. In an article on 7Now dated 25 October it states:

The league’s recently released vaccination policy mandates all AFL and AFLW players across the country must be double-dosed by February.

Victorian clubs, however, must be vaccinated earlier to comply with the state government’s mandate.

Premiership winners Melbourne and runners-up Western Bulldogs have led the way, with Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn also confirming every male player has received their first dose.

Geelong, North Melbourne and Richmond say they are expected to reach the same milestone.

It is mandated and it is happening.

DS

100%. which is why we hope science creates better alternatives or even a cure in the coming years.
But the alternative is not necessarily coming out of a Uni lab either, a pharma company could eel come up with the big daddy cure. AZ was called Oxford initially because I assume it was Oxford Uni labs involved but they don't make it for free.

Further to my post yesterday, the TGA have approved the Pfizer booster for 18+ after 6 months.

I have family in WA who will be so frustrated with the below as they want to come back for Christmas. It’s time WA looked at the National plan and opened up. Once a state is at 90% vaccination and people coming in are double vaccinated and get tested before again on arrival there should be no restrictions.

Many in WA just won’t get vaccinated until they announce an opening date on the basis they either want to stay closed off or they will be needing a booster shot by the time they open if they get one now.

I hope all other states stick to their plan.

maybe McGowan is taking this opportunity to push for WA secession? :mhihi

There isn’t really any obligation for any state to agree to the national plan. NSW haven’t. Tassie hasn’t. WA clearly won’t.

SA will. they announced a November 23 opening yesterday.

Reactions: 1 user
I take it you're unfamiliar with the Cutter Incident?
Am familiar.
Polio vaccine was a live virus vaccine and it is of course well recognised that live virus vaccines run the risk of virus infection.
Fortunately medical science has progressed immeasurably since then..60 plus years ago..and people are no longer given a vaccine with infectious potential.
Covid vax is of course a piece of the virus particle only, be it spike protein or rna peptide. Zero infectivity.
One might theorise that the rna could be transcribed in vivo leading to a human/covid monster.
Don't think our despicable scientists have worked out how to do that yet but.....
...six drops of essence of terror, five drops of sinister sauce... I'm Milton,your brand new son! Ha Ha. Sorry.
PS...would make one hell of a ruck rover.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Am familiar.
Polio vaccine was a live virus vaccine and it is of course well recognised that live virus vaccines run the risk of virus infection.
Fortunately medical science has progressed immeasurably since then..60 plus years ago..and people are no longer given a vaccine with infectious potential.
All vaccines start somewhere and have to earn a record of safety over time. It's human nature to have reservations about a new and fast-tracked vaccine.

If you remember back to the Essendon drugs scandal, one of the most serious accusations levelled at the club concerned the unknown long-term health effects of what they were injected with. Chances are that there won't be any, but nobody can be certain.

PS Vaccines for measles and chickenpox, among others, are live virus vaccines.

Human nature is an ass most of the time.

mRNA vaccines are physically very fragile - they break down very quickly in the body (or anywhere) and hence some must be stored at minus 50c. They give your cells the instructions how to make the spike protein of the virus - bear in mind our cells manufacture complex proteins all the time. The immune system detects the spikes and launches a response, the spike proteins are eliminated and the cells stop making the spike protein after a few days or a week (from what I've read).

The only thing that remains is your immune system's "memory" of that protein so it can act quickly next time it encounters it.

Research? We've had about 4 billion people take these vaccines so far and the short term effects are very well understood. Long term effects? I'm not a scientist, but based on how they work, leaving nothing in the body but a dormant immune response it's hard to see how any long term effect would manifest.

Reactions: 4 users
Victoria has administered 614,809 doses over the past week compared to NSW 380,193 (+234,616).

Some people will say that NSW have just about maxxed out on their first doses at 93.5%. But Victoria’s numbers are still flying at 90.8% first dose.

Yes, attenuated virus vaccines have been around for decades.

I've seen the more lunatic antivax personas claiming that the spike protein itself is incredibly harmful and permeates all bodily organs leading to painful death, but these people are clearly liars or idiots.

Victoria has administered 614,809 doses over the past week compared to NSW 380,193 (+234,616).

Some people will say that NSW have just about maxxed out on their first doses at 93.5%. But Victoria’s numbers are still flying at 90.8% first dose.

Our first doses have also dropped significantly over the last week. I'm not sure we will hit the same 1st dose number as NSW. Our first doses are definitely not "flying" any longer.

It's not a race.

• Haha
Our first doses have also dropped significantly over the last week. I'm not sure we will hit the same 1st dose number as NSW. Our first doses are definitely not "flying" any longer.

This is the COVID Base projection. It’s not entirely accurate because VIC is a few days ahead of these projections. But it does suggest we are gonna fly past NSW at some point in November.

TODAY.jpg