Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Bizarre end to today’s play with the Australian batsmen seemingly happy to just try and absorb New Zealands attack even to the point of Wade just continually allowing himself to be hit.

He didn’t want to get out like Head. Pretty disciplined.

Pushing the boundaries with their leg side bowling and fields. Wagner and Southee should be wearing a lot of padding when they come out to bat.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Time outs in the Big Bash is a great initiative......more ******* commercials, i wonder who's idea that was :mad: :vomit

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Time outs in the Big Bash is a great initiative......more ******* commercials, i wonder who's idea that was :mad: :vomit

Hmm, maybe the same network that pressured the AFL to change the rules to get more goals (read: ad breaks) and is now pushing for a shorter half time break?

DS

Reactions: 1 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I know I'm an old-fashioned red-ball cricket fanatic from way back but gee the BBL is tedious.
I just don't see how domestic T20s can last.
Surely as the years go by and more of the novelty factor wears off, more and more people lose interest.
But CA will never let it die because they would lose too much face over it.
They will just keep adding different factors to the game to try and keep it fresh.
Does anyone really care who wins? Does it make money?

Reactions: 1 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I know I'm an old-fashioned red-ball cricket fanatic from way back but gee the BBL is tedious.
Surely as the years go by and more of the novelty factor wears off, more and more people lose interest.
They will just keep adding different factors to the game to try and keep it fresh.

yep, I'm with you, I attended a game live in Hobart a few years ago whilst on holidays & hated it.

Cant stand it on TV

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Was always going to taper off at some point but they really hastened the death by increasing the number of games. A few other thoughts; the gap between the final round and the finals is too long and the whole thing loses momentum with kids returnging to school and adults to work. Each team should play each other once and then a three match finals series straight away, all condensed into January post the Sydney test. Would be good also if the good players could play and the good overseas players should play the whole tournament instead of departing for other comps.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Jumped the shark I reckon, crowds look well down, will end up a TV comp.

Having said that I noticed India v West Indies being played before bugger all people in India yesterday so maybe apart from the Ashes cricket just doesn't draw anymore.
Big *smile* was nothing but a fad. There are ways this game can be made better but there's too many goosebrains leading the way.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Nothing but hit n giggle cricket.Massive clubs for bats, short boundaries, pedestrian roads for pitches, shouting commentators, music n flashing lights. Circus for the five minute attention spanners n they're bored with it already.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Fkn annoying that Smith, batting at home in front of 60k fans, gets booed when walking out to bat.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Who are the star internationals this season? That seemed to be much of the problem last year. Read the other day that Andre Russell ditched us for Bangladesh because they offered far more cash.

They could always give Chris Gayle a call...
DeVilliers and Steyn are the first 2 names that spring to mind. Our home grown stars are busy with national duties and then cash in with the IPL.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I believe the number, they’re just not there at the same time - like footy. I left at tea along with thousands . Many came in during the second session

Did some simple maths at the ground - 100K capacity, less 5K standing room essentially not used in cricket, less a few thousand more for the bays behind the bowler's arm at each end and the corporatised Bay 13 - leaves about 35K on the bottom, 19K levels 2 & 3, 38K top level. Starting with the top tier, the theoretical maximum quickly drops below 80K. Been to the past ten Boxing Days plus plenty of scattered ones before that, and it looked to be among the lower BD crowds in recent times. Not a warm day by any stretch - actually it furnished into a magnificent, mild summer afternoon - so not much reason to hide in the bars. Didn't need to stand up once to let people in or out, and even got a seat on the train (never happens!). If it was 80K, it was the most comfortable 80K in the history of sport!

Anyway, makes no difference to me, I had a good day.