Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
I suspect the Indian team's next move is something along the lines of "Given all we've been put through we need you to concede to x,y and z"

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Strange post. You went back and dug something up when I’m clearly talking about a racial context?

And farts are funny.

Racial contest is calling someone a type of wine? Seriously.

It doesn't take a great imagination to think there could be some homophobic things shouted at Bumrah but a type of wine now has racist connotations? I've heard it all now.

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Racial contest is calling someone a type of wine? Seriously.

It doesn't take a great imagination to think there could be some homophobic things shouted at Bumrah but a type of wine now has racist connotations? I've heard it all now.

It’s not acute, for sure. But it’s borderline when you got white yobbos shouting this stuff to an international cricket player on the field.

He’s Indian. Got a name that may seem exotic to said yobbo.

It might seem inoffensive on paper, but it’s pretty dumb out in public (with heaps of kids around).

This kind of thing just perpetuates this knockabout Aussie stereotype of ignorance that is easy to cringe at.

Others may disagree and that’s cool

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
On racism - if a person considers stuff being directed at them is racist, it's racist.

On what these bloke said - I dont know, but I'd be very surprised if a professional sportsman was offended at a welcome to country

On prolonged yelling any personal stuff at sportsmen - Its annoying to the vast majority of spectators. its dumb and embarrassing

IMHO, its OK to scream 'you filthy mongrel' at Patrick Dangerfield in the GF (I did), because it is directly related to his conduct on the field.

If an Indian player bowled underarm, or belted someone with his bat, or sand papered the ball, then I would think it would be ok in that context to insult him from the crowd in relation to his behaviour, in the manner of 'you cheating *smile*'

but people freak out and polarise it. Its not simple. It never is.

But its always possible to get better

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Need to understand what Shiraz thought they were calling him. If there's a word that sounds similar but if offensive in India, you can understand it. But if he's had a moan because he was just being sledged and there was no vilification about it, then he needs to toughen up a bit.

Imagine if he was playing against the Waugh lead Australians.....

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
come on, Ezy and I can't the only ones who consider a white yobbo deliberately mis-pronouncing an Indian's name in public as problematic at best, casually racist at worst.

guess there's still a strong kneejerk defense for casual racism in our culture

Last edited:

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
this forum just gets dumber and dumber. blinkered, willfully ignorant treatment of the word shiraz (nudge, nudge, ay?) classic case in point

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
this forum just gets dumber and dumber. blinkered view of the word shiraz (nudge, nudge, ay?) classic case in point
This forum just gets more pious. “Everyone’s racist. But me.”

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
This forum just gets more pious. “Everyone’s racist. But me.”
some here aren't racist. many aussies are casually racist, it's just reality.

small steps though, Tim. the forum, along with Aussie society at large, may evolve in time

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The Indians allege Siraj and Bumrah were called 'brown dog' and 'big monkey'

I cant really imagine any motive for those players to make that up?

India going well in this session. could be an entertaining finish?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
come on, Ezy and I can't the only ones who consider a white yobbo deliberately mis-pronouncing an Indian's name in public as problematic at best, casually racist at worst.

guess there's still a strong kneejerk defense for casual racism in our culture
Crowd was also singing "Que Siraj, Siraj".

"Shiraz" over and over isn't terribly inventive, but most of us were displeased when the AFL invented crowd Nazis in 2019. There's a line but no evidence that it was crossed, and frogmarching people out of the stands on a false pretext isn't in anyone's interests.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Crowd was also singing "Que Siraj, Siraj".

"Shiraz" over and over isn't terribly inventive, but most of us were displeased when the AFL invented crowd Nazis in 2019. There's a line but no evidence that it was crossed, and frogmarching people out of the stands on a false pretext isn't in anyone's interests.
our larrikin, it's-just-aussie-humour "line" is a bit different to Mohammed Siraj's line, it would appear. I empathize, particularly as he is the recipient.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
some here aren't racist. many aussies are casually racist, it's just reality.

small steps though, Tim. the forum, along with Aussie society at large, may evolve in time

So its fine to mispronounce a white persons name and call them DangerFlog for example, but when its done to a person with a skin colour and you pronounce their name Shiraz (which at this point I don't think thats a racist term but happy to be corrected), its not ok.

Its people like you that literally make everything about race that are part of the problem not the solution.

Just because it is done to a person with a skin colour DOES NOT mean that its racist.

Now if what they've been called is brown dog etc then clearly thats a different scenario and is clearly racist and the book should be thrown at them, there is no place in society for that type of stuff.

Funny how the Indians have come out with the statements that they believe were racist and Shiraz was not one of them. Only blokes on this forum seem to think they are racist not the people that is was allegedly said to.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
our larrikin, it's-just-aussie-humour "line" is a bit different to Mohammed Siraj's line, it would appear. I empathize.
He flipped the bird to the crowd earlier in the day and obviously took the heckling to heart. Sometimes all it takes is a simple acknowledgement, a sign that the player is with them, to get the crowd onside.

Don't want to see a player getting emotionally destroyed, but can't help thinking that it had a bit to do with the game slipping away from India at the time (currently fighting back) and Siraj having 0/70 for the day.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
So its fine to mispronounce a white persons name and call them DangerFlog for example, but when its done to a person with a skin colour and you pronounce their name Shiraz (which at this point I don't think thats a racist term but happy to be corrected), its not ok.

Its people like you that literally make everything about race that are part of the problem not the solution.

Just because it is done to a person with a skin colour DOES NOT mean that its racist.

Now if what they've been called is brown dog etc then clearly thats a different scenario and is clearly racist and the book should be thrown at them, there is no place in society for that type of stuff.

Funny how the Indians have come out with the statements that they believe were racist and Shiraz was not one of them. Only blokes on this forum seem to think they are racist not the people that is was allegedly said to.
lol, good luck with further education posh, it'll come in time