Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
There are no dumb bowlers, only dumb captains.
Surely you played with some not too bright quicks?

I think in general most quicks bowl too short. Not sure if they develop a certain laziness from junior days where pure speed got them wickets. Most good batsman enjoy fast bowling. There are exceptions, Mitchell Johnson could bowl seriously dangerous stuff when he got it right and the English didn't enjoy facing him much.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Surely you played with some not too bright quicks?

I think in general most quicks bowl too short. Not sure if they develop a certain laziness from junior days where pure speed got them wickets. Most good batsman enjoy fast bowling. There are exceptions, Mitchell Johnson could bowl seriously dangerous stuff when he got it right and the English didn't enjoy facing him much.
Sure. I've captained them too, and after three short ones I'd be waiting for them at the top of their run with three short words: "Hit. The. Stumps."

The bloke averages 2. Hit the stumps.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Good work Davy Warner on burning a review when you didn’t even think you weren’t out.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I reckon the Indians are showing us what disciplined cricket can achieve. Their bowling lines, their batting concentration have made it very hard for Australia to get enough runs and wickets to win.

Don't think pitches which are flat on the 5th day help either but you play to the conditions.

Discipline and concentration are needed in the long game, given the lack of Shield games I fail to see where Australian players can develop. Less hit and giggle and more proper cricket would help.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I feel like we,re watching the end of a few players test careers.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Warner was walking off. Labuschagne told him to review it.

PREnders have underestimated this makeshift Indian attack. Siraj has been hugely impressive: good pace, great accuracy. Saini's looked good when he's bowled. Shardul, Natarajan and Sundar have all bowled well. They all have technically excellent actions and present a great seam. And this team bats strongly to number 8.

Revisiting the A team talk, remember in the 90s when Australia A played in the World Series Cup and beat out England and I think Zimbabwe to play Australia in the finals? We bragged we could have two Test teams, with the likes of Hayden, Langer, Law, Love, Hodge, Lehmann, Bevan, Reiffel in the twos. India could do that now.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
India
Sharma
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Jadeja
Ashwin
Umesh Yadav
Shami
Bumrah

Great balance in that side, with three seamers and two different spinners. Then you have:

India A
Shaw
Dhawan
Agarwal
Rahul
Vihari
Sundar
Shardul
Saha
Siraj
Kuldeep
Saini/Ishant

Ditto here.

This Test well poised, have enjoyed Australia's positive intent today. Gotta get India in for a short session before tea, I reckon. 300 lead is enough.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Who's ever heard of MK Pandey? Only 6000+ first-class runs at 51, with 19 100s. Can barely get a look-in. Zero tests, and only 26 ODIs despite averaging 35 at a strike rate of 92.

Shreyas Iyer. Averages 44 at a strike rate of 100 in 21 ODIs. Averages 52 with a strike rate of 81 in first-class cricket.

Their third-choice wicketkeeper has 10 first-class centuries and an average of 37.

Then of course there's Natarajan and Pandya.

Deep.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Warner was walking off. Labuschagne told him to review it.

PREnders have underestimated this makeshift Indian attack. Siraj has been hugely impressive: good pace, great accuracy. Saini's looked good when he's bowled. Shardul, Natarajan and Sundar have all bowled well. They all have technically excellent actions and present a great seam. And this team bats strongly to number 8.

Revisiting the A team talk, remember in the 90s when Australia A played in the World Series Cup and beat out England and I think Zimbabwe to play Australia in the finals? We bragged we could have two Test teams, with the likes of Hayden, Langer, Law, Love, Hodge, Lehmann, Bevan, Reiffel in the twos. India could do that now.
we too could probably fleld a second test team almost as good as our first. maybe for different reasons though.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users