Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Got to give Ian Chappell his dues, he is consistent.

Has always been steadfast that the only place a coach has in Australian cricket is transporting the team to the ground. I actually think he caused the Shane Warne/John Buchanan rift because Warne is a huge disciple of Chappelli and as much as Chappelli hates a great player turned coach, he really. really hates an average player turned coach.

I can see some merit in his argument but I think it would be a huge ask for a skipper to take the off-field reins of any elite sporting team.
For Chappell it also strikes as an old man railing at the changed world.
In my day it was just the captain.
Cool, but now you are competing against teams using high tech analysis etc. Wouldnt it be essential to have a coaching team etc?
Maybe the captain needs more onfield focus, or to get a better balance between computer analysis and his gut? Its not as simple as listening to chapell and going back to 1970.

But getting rid of Langer and this obsession with bouncing teams out would help

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Maybe the captain needs more onfield focus, or to get a better balance between computer analysis and his gut? Its not as simple as listening to chapell and going back to 1970.
They use the analysis to plan. Chappell's talking about what happens when the plan is failing.

Chappell had "Golden Arm" Doug Walters to call on, with his habit of breaking partnerships when both batsmen were set. Took 49 wickets @ 29 - pretty handy for a part-timer. Only four Australian bowlers took wickets in this Indian series.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
They use the analysis to plan. Chappell's talking about what happens when the plan is failing.

Chappell had "Golden Arm" Doug Walters to call on, who had a habit of breaking partnerships when both batsmen were set. Took 49 wickets @ 29 - pretty handy for a part-timer. Only four Australian bowlers took wickets in this Indian series.
Yeah i understand that.
Still, Chappell is saying lets go back to the approach i had.
It would be as if Malthouse was arguing for his defence gamestyle , or (more pertinent for the time) Hafey saying modern footballers should just kick it long. What worked then is simpleheaded.

And yes we needed Green or Marnus or someone to get a lucky break. Odd that it didnt happen or very disciplined by the Indians
well coached?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Yeah i understand that.
It would be as if Malthouse was arguing for his defence gamestyle , or (more pertinent for the time) Hafey saying modern footballers should just kick it long. What worked then is simpleheaded.
Yep. Maybe.

He probably has some idea of what goes in inside the team and any constraints Paine is under. His theory is if you're going to go down, go down your own way. I think that way on the punt. Some people are prey to all sorts of influences in a losing streak; I keep to my own judgement because it's my money! Of course it hurts when the rest of the group back the 7/1 winner and you're the only one not on it...

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Yep. Maybe.

He probably has some idea of what goes in inside the team and any constraints Paine is under. His theory is if you're going to go down, go down your own way. I think that way on the punt. Some people are prey to all sorts of influences in a losing streak; I keep to my own judgement because it's my money! Of course it hurts when the rest of the group back the 7/1 winner and you're the only one not on it...
How much involvement does he have? How much interaction? I seriously doubt either.
An old man shouting that he did it better in his day.

Obviously I dont value I Chappell,s views on modern cricket. No problem with the idea that the captain takes responsibility on the field, though i think there is a lot of value for off field planning. It sounds like it was too rigid or too defensive.

It would be informative to assess how Ravi Shastri coaches India and how autonomous the captain is.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
What? Plenty of alternative dates have been proposed, your fave Rupert has even proposed some:

Yeah everyone has an idea but there is no organised campaign. You've got a minority who want to change the date and then a variety of suggestions among that minority. Anyway, next...

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Yeah i understand that.

And yes we needed Green or Marnus or someone to get a lucky break. Odd that it didnt happen or very disciplined by the Indians
well coached?
Green, a supposed true all-rounder bowled 44 overs in 8 innings, while Labuschagne bowled 11. they didnt get much of a chance.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Green, a supposed true all-rounder bowled 44 overs in 8 innings, while Labuschagne bowled 11. they didnt get much of a chance.
I think they’re deliberately trying to not overload Green, given his youth. Don’t want another Pat Cummins situation.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
And some people don't reckon Maxwell should be in the Aussie one day and 20/20 setup?

I'm with spook, he really should be playing tests in front of Wade at least. Reality is it will cost him a stack of money to play test cricket and who would blame him if he concentrated on the short form stuff now?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
And some people don't reckon Maxwell should be in the Aussie one day and 20/20 setup?

I'm with spook, he really should be playing tests in front of Wade at least. Reality is it will cost him a stack of money to play test cricket and who would blame him if he concentrated on the short form stuff now?
Maxwell has been on a horror run until today. And Finch looks finished.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I think he has 'unofficially' retired from red ball cricket, as has Finch.
Noted, I am probably right then. Finch might as well retire from non-red ball cricket too. When you retire from red ball cricket are you essentially acknowledging that you are no chance of being selected?

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Test Squad for planned South African tour:
Tim Paine (capt), Pat Cummins (vc), Sean Abbott, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Moises Henriques, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Will Pucovski, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Mark Steketee, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner