Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It belongs here because it was brought up here, by you if I'm not mistaken.

In terms of a treaty, let's start with the Uluru Statement.

As for Morrison saying it CA should not be political, well Scott, if you don't like things being political then get a different job.

Good move by CA, Australia Day is all a bit overblown these days anyway. Until the 1980s we celebrated on the nearest day that gave us a long weekend. If Jan 26 was a Tuesday we just shifted the public holiday to the Monday. Confected patriotism, and deeply offensive to the original Australians.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I'd just pick a random day, maybe the last Friday in February to spread the public holidays out a bit. Start afresh with a 'clean' day that everyone can get behind.

Such a tiny gesture it should be a no brainer, who could possibly object?
End of Summer day. I like it. I would really like those choosing to protest push the alternative date rather than just saying change the date. That way you will get more people to agree on the day change.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If the date was changed .. what would be an alternative ? 1 January 1901 .. so I guess New Years day and public holiday in Australia on the 2nd of Jan every year ?

If we can speed up the move to a Republic, that would be the obvious choice. Unless of course we're aiming to create another public holiday on Republic Day

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Republic Day in India celebrates the day India ceased being under British Rule. Australia Day celebrates the day Australia started under British rule. I know who has it right.
Yeah, I thought it was a trick question.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Republic Day in India celebrates the day India ceased being under British Rule. Australia Day celebrates the day Australia started under British rule. I know who has it right.
India obtained independence on August 15. Jan 26 marks the date when the Constitution came into effect.

January 1st for us, then?

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Just read some of the 1300 comments under the Dan Christian article in the Telegraph. And you lot think I'm extreme. Sheesh!

Beats me how CA thinks they're on a winner.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
My view is that anyone who supports the current arrangements for Australia Day are at best gormless and at worst racist.
I can't abide this as a baseline. Really no point discussing it further!

GtQYhtb.jpg

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Would that be a surprise for a Telegraph poll? I'd have thought it would be about standard.
I haven't seen an article on a political issue that is wall-to-wall condemnation like this.

There are only 33 heavily-vetted comments on the equivalent Fairfax article, with 31 potting Morrison and 2 requesting even-handed treatment of their comments as paying subscribers.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Paine must lay down law: Chappell (paywalled)​

Ian Chappell believes Tim Paine must hold his place as Australian captain and should be given more authority to control his team’s destiny.

Paine has been put under a microscope after Australia surrendered what seemed an unlosable Test series to India, but he has gained high-powered support from one of cricket’s greatest-ever leaders.

Chappell said Paine had been the right kind of personality to take over the reins of the Australian team after the ball tampering scandal in 2018 and was still the right man to take the side back to South Africa next month.

Australia’s real issue, according to Chappell, is a broken way of thinking, where the coaching staff and management hold as much influence on the team as the captain out in the middle.

Chappell told Cricket Australia’s exhaustive Argus Review in 2011 that administrators had made it impossible for captains to do their job properly, a view he reiterated when Steve Smith was in charge with Darren Lehmann as coach. The former Test captain warned a cycle of mediocrity would continue in Australian cricket as long as there were too many cooks involved in determining team tactics and making key decisions and addresses, which should be the sole domain of Paine as skipper.

“Tim needs to tell a few people to butt out, which is going to be harder to do now than if he’d done it at the start,” said Chappell.

“But you’ve only got to look back to Mark Taylor. Allan Border had allowed (coach) Bob Simpson to have enormous power, and when Mark took over, Simpson stepped forward to make a speech, and Mark just grabbed him by the arm and said, ‘I’ll handle this, Bob.’ And he was in charge.

“That’s the way it’s got to be.

“The reason I say that is when Tim woke up the next morning after the Test, he only had to look at what was going on.

“Were Justin Langer and Andrew McDonald and all the other management copping the flak?

“No, it was Tim. So as long as the wins and the losses (are in your name) and the flak is coming your way, you might as well have a fair say in what goes on.

“I’m not saying anything that I haven’t said before. Because I said it at the Argus Review.”

Chappell said that while Paine was not in the same category as Taylor or Michael Clarke in terms of on-field tactics, he was a fine captain who deserved to be backed in for the foreseeable future.

According to Chappell, Pat Cummins is already too overburdened, as the “Dennis Lillee” style lion-heart of the team, to take on more responsibility as well as leading the bowling attack.

Chappell says Australia doesn’t need a new captain, but a change in theory, which peels back the modern beliefs on high-performance management and restores the skipper as the one true leader.

“I think he’s done a terrific job in the circumstances (in which he took over),” Chappell said of Paine. “It’s a system that doesn’t work. Australia will always beat the lesser teams because the talent is there.

“But that’s not the idea.

“The idea is to beat the best teams and that’s a system that will cause you problems against the better teams, as it has done in this series.”

Chappell described some of Australia’s day five tactics against India at the Gabba as “stupid”, but said that in the modern game there were too many voices involved, which he believed complicated the feel and instinct a captain needed to have on the field.

“Every captain goes down the wrong path at some stage or other,” Chappell said. “It’s how quickly you see, ‘Uh oh, this isn’t working, let’s go somewhere else’

“Herein, I think, lies another problem with the system. They sit down and have all these meetings before every match and at night: ‘This is the plan, and this is what we’re going to do.’

“It’s not that complicated.

“How many times have you heard, “Hit the top of off, with the odd bouncer’?

“Pretty well that’s your team meeting.

“Obviously I’m oversimplifying it but it’s not that complicated.

“What bothers me with a lot of modern captaincy is they go out there with these plans and the plan remains the plan. Now that’s not how captaincy works.

“You have a plan for everyone.

“We had a plan for Viv Richards, Garry Sobers, but blokes of that ability, they can spoil your plans in five minutes, so you better have somewhere else to go.

“Again, trust me, you cannot captain the side from off the field.

“It’s too late by the time the message gets out there.”

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think he is just asking for the on-field reins to be given to the captain. I often wondered during both the Sydney and Brisbane tests why they weren't changing tactics when they were not working. If this is the answer, that coaches have too much say and the captain is constrained on-field, then I agree with Ian Chappell.

Speaking of Chappells, Greg had an article in The Age today. It talked about the way Indian cricket works. It seems their under 16 and under 18 competitions are 3 day games with red balls. They start playing shorter format cricket later, after the players have learned the fundamentals first in long form cricket. Seems to be working better than our current dog's breakfast.

DS

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I think he is just asking for the on-field reins to be given to the captain. I often wondered during both the Sydney and Brisbane tests why they weren't changing tactics when they were not working. If this is the answer, that coaches have too much say and the captain is constrained on-field, then I agree with Ian Chappell.

Speaking of Chappells, Greg had an article in The Age today. It talked about the way Indian cricket works. It seems their under 16 and under 18 competitions are 3 day games with red balls. They start playing shorter format cricket later, after the players have learned the fundamentals first in long form cricket. Seems to be working better than our current dog's breakfast.

DS
So much cricket and so many people fanatical about the game (and probably many seeing it as a way out of poverty) in India, very difficult to complete with. This discussion was held during a rain break in the series two years ago.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Where you used to find a cracked old concrete wicket you now find a 4 turf wicket elite facility, churning out young fast bowlers where there were once only spinners.
About a dozen years ago we had two Indians who had never played on a proper cricket ground, only social scratch matches on bare dirt. One was an average offie but the other had a lot of natural batting talent. This year we have 8 or 9.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
My view is that anyone who supports the current arrangements for Australia Day are at best gormless and at worst racist.

I think if we flipped the scenario slightly and said let's say China invade us on March 1st and take over the country and those of us who survive are expected to come out each year on March 1st and wave the Chinese flag and sing the 'South China' national anthem those same people would be reacting in the opposite direction.
Good chance those fighting so hard to keep the date fought just as hard defending their right to Boo Goodes.