Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

I was discussing the win with an Indian lady I work with. Not a real cricket nut but her husband is and she watched it and is familiar with the magnitude of the win.
She brought up the fact that some of the Indian players were racially abused by some spectators, which I acknowledged and agreed was unfortunate.
She went on to tell me that Natarajan and Sundar come from the same state she does (Tamil Nadu) and are of a lower caste in India and as such have struggled to get selected for their state. The national selectors however were not as racist and selected them via other pathways, e.g. the IPL. She was not condoning it and was as disappointed with the Tamil Nadu selectors as she was with the abusive Australian fans. But it's interesting. I wonder what is worse? Verbal abuse or actually hindering someone's career path.
I haven't fact checked what she said. But has this been raised in the Australian or Indian media?

I was discussing the win with an Indian lady I work with. Not a real cricket nut but her husband is and she watched it and is familiar with the magnitude of the win.
She brought up the fact that some of the Indian players were racially abused by some spectators, which I acknowledged and agreed was unfortunate.
She went on to tell me that Natarajan and Sundar come from the same state she does (Tamil Nadu) and are of a lower caste in India and as such have struggled to get selected for their state. The national selectors however were not as racist and selected them via other pathways, e.g. the IPL. She was not condoning it and was as disappointed with the Tamil Nadu selectors as she was with the abusive Australian fans. But it's interesting. I wonder what is worse? Verbal abuse or actually hindering someone's career path.
I haven't fact checked what she said. But has this been raised in the Australian or Indian media?
I haven't seen it 23. Aussie media has been very positive toward India though

It's fair enough that a few players have question marks on them. But what about Langer. As coach, he has lost a 2 test series against Pakistan, lost 2 series against India on Aust soil. Beat Sri Lanka, and the Kiwi's and drew a series against England.

I personally think Langer should be sacked. I've never liked him as coach. But he's good at pushing his brand I can't see him leaving unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 users

Tim Paine captaincy debate: Test legend lost for a replacement (paywalled)​

Ben Horne
The Australian
January 21, 2021

A former Test selector believes there’s not a clear enough candidate to replace Tim Paine as captain, but public support is rising for Steve Smith to make an incredible comeback to the post.

Test great Mark Waugh says if there was a standout option to take over the reins for next month’s tour of South Africa, then perhaps Paine’s time might be up following the chastening series loss to India.

As Australia ponders its leadership future, brother Steve Waugh, revealed on Tim Gilbert’s Afternoon Sport podcast, that he had been sought out by Indian captain Ajinkya Rahane for advice before a series which has instilled him forever as an Indian Test great, and may now spark debate that he should usurp Virat Kohli as permanent skipper.

But Mark Waugh said Paine too has largely done a good captain as a Test skipper and believes Australia’s best course of action in South Africa is to light a fire under the batting line-up and bowling attack who should be offering the Tasmanian more support.

Waugh said sub-par first innings totals and poor catching was Australia’s biggest issue against India, and also called on an bowling quartet of Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Nathan Lyon with more than 1000 Test wickets between them to take more ownership of their own fields and tactics and help Paine out.

A News Corp poll of more than 7000 readers voted 65 per cent to remove Paine as captain, with a separate poll of 2000 plus readers having Smith as the 51 per cent favourite to fill the void in the same country where he was sensationally sacked as skipper back in 2018.

Waugh agrees Smith is the only alternative to Paine, but in the short term believes the best option for Australia is to focus on putting more support around the 36-year-old.

“If he’s not captain, who are the choices? That’s the issue,” said Fox Cricket expert, Waugh.

“If there was a standout candidate I think it might be time for him to step down as captain, but I don’t see it. I just don’t see it. Unless Steve Smith is going to do it there’s no one else I can see who could be captain.

“I think Paine has done a pretty good job and maybe he needs a bit more help on the field with the senior players, because it’s difficult to be a keeper and captain.

“I think under pressure we saw that affected his wicketkeeping, because he’s a very good wicketkeeper, he doesn’t drop many catches. But this series he has done when he’s been under pressure, trying to win the game.”

Waugh said his one criticism of Paine is that he’s perhaps a little on the conservative side and believes Australia suffered from a lack of aggression at key moments in the Gabba Test.

But that responsibility should not just fall on the captain alone.

“Tactically he could have been more aggressive. If he does have a weakness, he can be a bit on the conservative side sometimes when a gamble needs to be taken,” said Waugh.

“When Rishabh Pant comes in for example and they stick the field back straight away.

“But some of the bowlers need to take ownership of the fields they’re setting. Bowlers with 400 and 300 Test wickets, should be the ones demanding a certain field.

“They might be part of the issue as well. A bit conservative when need to attack. Even batting on the fourth day, we should have scored quicker.”

Waugh said aside from looking at a potential alternative to Matthew Wade at No.5 and Will Pucovski coming back at the top of the order, he can’t envisage any other changes to Australia’s XI in South Africa.

Steve Waugh told The Afternoon Sport podcast that Indian saviour Rahane – who galvanised a Kohli-less India with his calmer approach – is someone he has got to know well.

“There’s the difference between captaincy and leadership and maybe he did relax the boys a bit. They had nothing to lose,” said Steve Waugh.

“I’ve had a bit to do with Rahane. He’s sought me out for a bit of guidance on leadership and I had a good chat to him (on a recent trip to India) and I also spoke to him in Australia.

“He’s a really good style of a fella. More in the Rahul David mould where he’s a quiet achiever, not big on the stand on top of the table making big speeches (style).

“He’s more one on one and behind the scenes and working with the players and showing belief.

“The side yesterday did relax and played incredible cricket for a bunch of players who no one expected to play well.”

I personally think Langer should be sacked. I've never liked him as coach. But he's good at pushing his brand I can't see him leaving unfortunately.
Langer and the selectors who picked Joe Burns for the 1st two tests should be under a lot of scrutiny.

Langer's criteria for test selection was "You’ve gotta be a good bloke and you’ve gotta score runs."

Joe Burns must be a hell of a nice fella.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think it is something that isn't bought up much, but it certainly bemuses me given the active discrimination which is the Indian caste system.

Interesting that fans (including Indian fans) in the area where the alleged racial abuse came from in Sydney didn't hear any racial abuse, only Siraj being called Shiraz. Now I understand that if Siraj believes that is racism, then it's racism...but strike me, toughen up. The BCCI however claims terms like brown dog were used. On the BCCI, them threatening to have a chartered plane on hand if Harbajan Singh was found guilty of calling Symons a monkey was an absolute disgrace. Quick to call racism against others, but when it's one of theirs they threaten to take their bat and ball and go home.

I'm just glad that foreigners don't experience racism when they visit India.

Last edited:
As though feeling no shame at the recent underperformance of our barefoot political pawns, CA is doubling down.

PM Scott Morrison slams Cricket Australia over dropping references to Australia Day (paywalled)​

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has labelled a Cricket Australia decision to refer to next week’s Big Bash extravaganza as ‘January 26’ rather than ‘Australia Day’ as “pretty ordinary.”

Cricket Australia made the call to promote inclusivity after consulting Indigenous leaders.

There are three BBL games on the public holiday and CA are committed to ensuring the experience doesn’t change for the masses who have always enjoyed a day long synonymous with hosting big time cricket.

However, there was a push to make the day more inclusive and culturally safe for those Australians who consider January 26 as a day of mourning.

Morrison, who pressured the NRL to backflip on a decision to ban the National Anthem at this year’s State of Origin series, hit out at cricket’s move on Thursday.

“I think a bit more focus on cricket, and a little less focus on politics would be my message to Cricket Australia,” Morrison told radio 4R0.

“I think that’s pretty ordinary – that’s what they’re putting on their press releases – that would be my view.”

Reactions: 1 user
As though feeling no shame at the recent underperformance of our barefoot political pawns, CA is doubling down.

PM Scott Morrison slams Cricket Australia over dropping references to Australia Day (paywalled)​

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has labelled a Cricket Australia decision to refer to next week’s Big Bash extravaganza as ‘January 26’ rather than ‘Australia Day’ as “pretty ordinary.”

Cricket Australia made the call to promote inclusivity after consulting Indigenous leaders.

There are three BBL games on the public holiday and CA are committed to ensuring the experience doesn’t change for the masses who have always enjoyed a day long synonymous with hosting big time cricket.

However, there was a push to make the day more inclusive and culturally safe for those Australians who consider January 26 as a day of mourning.

Morrison, who pressured the NRL to backflip on a decision to ban the National Anthem at this year’s State of Origin series, hit out at cricket’s move on Thursday.

“I think a bit more focus on cricket, and a little less focus on politics would be my message to Cricket Australia,” Morrison told radio 4R0.

“I think that’s pretty ordinary – that’s what they’re putting on their press releases – that would be my view.”
Im going to tread very lightly here as not to set up a political stoush on this thread. However purely from a marketing point of view, I think this is a good move by CA. Theres more and more support for change the date, and I think this will be viewed by many as a progressive decision by them.

Im going to tread very lightly here as not to set up a political stoush on this thread. However purely from a marketing point of view, I think this is a good move by CA. Theres more and more support for change the date, and I think this will be viewed by many as a progressive decision by them.
Yeah. Hard to see the issue with changing Australia Day to another date anyway. It will happen eventually and then 20 years later everyone will wonder where there was such a fuss about changing it.

Reactions: 1 user
If the date was changed .. what would be an alternative ? 1 January 1901 .. so I guess New Years day and public holiday in Australia on the 2nd of Jan every year ?

What are the sacred dates on the Aboriginal calendar?

Maybe we need a government that will actually develop and sign a treaty with the indigenous peoples. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking but could have a significant impact on healing. That day could replace Australia day as a true date for all Australians, could be a unification date or something like that.

It would be similar to what the Kiwis celebrate on Waitangi day.

Reactions: 2 users

a politician trying to tell CA to not be political? isnt Morrison making it political by getting involved?
and wouldnt they be political if they used used Australia Day in their advertising, considering how many people now support a change of date. But i guess when Morrison tells people to not be political, he means they shouldnt support causes he disagrees with.

Reactions: 5 users
but regardless of what people think about Invasion/Australia Day, we can probably all agree it is a smart move by CA, as it might stop people talking about actual cricket, and in particular test cricket.

Maybe we need a government that will actually develop and sign a treaty with the indigenous peoples. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking but could have a significant impact on healing. That day could replace Australia day as a true date for all Australians, could be a unification date or something like that.

It would be similar to what the Kiwis celebrate on Waitangi day.

Agree. We've only colonised this country for what, 230 years, so saying "it's not time yet" doesn't wash. Indigenous peoples and us, the late-comers, just have to go into it with open hearts and we can make good things happen.

In my lifetime I've seen a lot of change, the open racism against indigenous folk that I witnessed both in capital cities and rural towns has changed, what was acceptable to yell at the football in 1982 is no longer acceptable and most people accept that. Change can happen if we make it happen.

I'd suggest that is a fair way off. It would be good if we could have a discussion about it without being beaten into submission.

Potentially it could be a fair way off, or it could be relatively close. All depends on the political will to do it. I hadn't realised that Australia is the only Commonwealth country that does not have a treaty with its indigenous populations. It seems dumb and should be a way for the nation as a whole to be able to move forward. Continuing to drag this out, will only take attention from pollies and the public away from issues that we need to address to drive the nation forward. I see no reason why the discussion shouldn't start and find out what each side wants to include in the treaty. An treaty signing date can also include a change of flag which represents Australians as a whole which would include the indigenous population.

I think the biggest issue is who should the government be negotiating with being as there are so many tribes, and little leadership overseeing all indigenous tribes.