Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Vics went from 0-94 to 200 all out.
The GOAT got 6 fer.
A not unfamiliar pattern. Off to a flying start, averaging 5 an over then a couple of wickets then the new batsmen freeze up, run rate drops and the collapse ensues.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Probably not a popular opinion, but as far as the Test side is concerned, if Lyon was a footballer he'd be labelled a list-clogger. Good enough to get a spot in the side but ultimately you're looking for something better.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
And now i read Maxwell is hoping to be picked for tests in Asia next year, and hopes to play a shield game or 2 this season.

Interesting to see how this goes after the usual bonkers IPL action last night. Maxwell picks up 2.5 million despite barely hitting a ball off the square last season, which is about 7 times what Steve Smith was paid.

Meanwhile Jhye Richardson picks up 2.5 and Riley Meredith 1.4. Hard to see why blokes would risk their bodies playing test cricket when they can earn that for a dozen 20 over games.

spook

Tiger Legend
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Great experience for 18-year-old Jake Fraser-McGurk steering the mighty Vics home against the old enemy in a good partnership with Jimmy Patto.

That's now eight Shield games since the Blues have beaten the Vics.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Tiger Legend
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Interesting to see how this goes after the usual bonkers IPL action last night. Maxwell picks up 2.5 million despite barely hitting a ball off the square last season, which is about 7 times what Steve Smith was paid.

Meanwhile Jhye Richardson picks up 2.5 and Riley Meredith 1.4. Hard to see why blokes would risk their bodies playing test cricket when they can earn that for a dozen 20 over games.
Maxi's BBL form was white-hot, and he's proven over a decade what a superstar he is in the short game.

You have a point, it's a lot of money, but most cricketers still want to play the ultimate. Maxi is set for life, so it's about legacy for him.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I thought NSWs test quality bowlers were going to be too much for our fragile batting line up but there ya go. Good stuff.
It was interesting that Captain Neville wasn't game to use Starc until the game was all but done and dusted.
Pattison has to replace Starc in the test side.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Great experience for 18-year-old Jake Fraser-McGurk steering the mighty Vics home against the old enemy in a good partnership with Jimmy Patto.

I like what coach Buck Rogers is doing with the side, he's blooding a lot young blokes.
I've watched most of the Vic's innings, Fraser-McGurk handled the pressure well, he uses a lot of bottom hand.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004

Didn't know that. We play them again just next week.

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Maxi's BBL form was white-hot, and he's proven over a decade what a superstar he is in the short game.

You have a point, it's a lot of money, but most cricketers still want to play the ultimate. Maxi is set for life, so it's about legacy for him.

The fast bowlers are the worry I think. If that sort of money is on offer, it's going to hard for them not to chose self preservation ahead of grinding out long Australian schedules. Batsman and spinners will generally play any cricket going anyway but the quicks will be a real challenge.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

The fact that Smith put himself in the auction and attracted a bid does that create an obligation for him to play? Or does he say thanks but I will stay home ?

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
The fact that Smith put himself in the auction and attracted a bid does that create an obligation for him to play? Or does he say thanks but I will stay home ?

The technical answer would depend on the terms of the contract I guess but morally he would be obliged to unless he was injured.

I'd reckon he will be keen to get out and prove a point anyway and as one of the few sportspeople who is 10 times more rich off the field than on, the money wouldn't bother him as much as some.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Another insipid performance by Australia in a T20 game.

Reactions: 1 user