Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

My god the Windies are deplorable. Feel sorry for some of their commentators having to put up with these lazy efforts.

Let's hope the Boks can show some stronger competition.

Reactions: 1 user
Boland doing it again, 3 wickets in his first over.
He's been bloody amazing since he somehow fell into the team.
Just trundles up at reasonable pace, sticks the ball into the slot with a smidge of movement n forces the batsmen to hang the bat out in front over and over again. Batsman gets it wrong n off he goes back to the pavilion.

Bloody poms playing exciting and aggressive test cricket. Its not right. They were mostly dour (except Botham/Gower/Flintoff) uninspiring sloths as far as I can remember. Never taking risks, poor declarations, playing for draws...where has it all gone?

Why is Cricket so unpopular in Australia now ?

Is it we are saturated with it , due to so many forms of the game ?

Is it the commentators ?

Is it the Indian Cricket domination off field ?

Is it the individuals That play for Australia now ?

Is it that we can now watch basically any sport around the world now that us 40+ year olds could never do as kids and now find these sports “ better”

Is it that our team is hated around the other nations due to the way we conduct our selves ?

Or Is it simply David Warners fault!!!!!

im one who grew up playing and loving Cricket , however now I basically don’t watch any form of the game , in saying that looking forward to going to day 2 of the Boxing Day test , unlikley I’ll see a ball live , but I’m sure it will be a ripper day at the “cricket”
All of the above.

I grew up on the sport. Possibly even slightly ahead of footy as a kid. Between the ages of about 8 and 12, spent every waking spare summer hour outside of school time, either playing street cricket with my mates or watching it on TV. This was late 80s to early 90s. Played a fair bit of high school and club cricket in early teens until I discovered athletics.

Now, outside of ashes or Indian tests, don’t find myself watching much at all. Never got into BBL or IPL.

Reactions: 1 users
Meaningless ODIs and T20 games, terrible scheduling and very poor opposition in test cricket.
Regarding poor opposition.

Gee I miss the West Indies of old. I missed the first generation of greats. The likes of Lloyd, Holding, Roberts before my time. But caught the tail end of the Windies greatness in late 80s-early 90s.

India obviously bucked the trend. And after a decade of disarray in Pakistani cricket (on the back of disarray in the country more generally), there appears some encouraging resurgence there. We can only hope.

But more generally, the game just doesn’t feel like it has much buzz around it.

I’d have no idea how healthy the district and club cricket scene in Australia is. It used to be an absolute factory line of talent in the late 80s-early 90s.

Sure, there seem to be quite a few kids at Woolies cricket blasters (cricket equivalent to Auskick) 5 week sessions that my little bloke attends. And like all sports, cricket doctor their participation numbers to meet KPIs by pointing out how many kids they have at these adding to overall participation. But I just don’t know how many of these kids will convert to long term participants of the game. A lot are probably just there so Mum and Dad can wrestle them away from the iPad for an hour a week. Hence won’t see them much past the age of 7.

These sessions didn’t even exist when I was a youngster. We just played hour after hour in the street, on a neighbourhood spare block in our free time. Or on the netball courts or concrete pitch during school recess and lunch. In a sense, the game was a way of life. And hence we went on to play organised cricket for school and local clubs. Not sure the last time I saw a bunch of kids playing cricket on a street or spare block in the same vein. It’s just not an intertwined part of the community fabric.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I've never fallen out of love with anything quite like I've fallen out of love with cricket.

For me personally my interest in the game peaked with Shane Warne's career.
Nothing ever has really captured my imagination in the game since he retired.

Culminating with that was the fact that with so many forms of the game I stopped connecting with the personalities.
Bubblegum T20 has made longer forms of the game seem super slow.
Maybe it's also a case of getting older & not idolising the players so much either. Time poor?

That said my interest in soccer & basketball has replaced it I reckon.
I dunno it just seems so boring to me these days. Sad but I'm clearly not alone.
Can cricket come back to life? I don't think it can.
I can see the Melbourne Cricket Ground being renamed one day to the Melbourne Sports Ground.

Bloody poms playing exciting and aggressive test cricket. Its not right. They were mostly dour (except Botham/Gower/Flintoff) uninspiring sloths as far as I can remember. Never taking risks, poor declarations, playing for draws...where has it all gone?
Two run outs in the pom's second innings. Both in the top seven. Unforgivable.

That said my interest in soccer & basketball has replaced it I reckon.
I dunno it just seems so boring to me these days. Sad but I'm clearly not alone.
I grew up in more regional parts of Australia that were very Anglo-Aussie in general sporting tastes.

I’ll never forget my father’s experience when he moved to Sydney to work. A far more culturally diverse workplace of course. Worked with a few Italian-Aussies who were right into their soccer. A bit of workplace banter, Dad says to one of them, “I just can’t get into a sport where you play for 90mins and still get no result.” The Italian colleague fires back, “I’d rather play for 90mins for no result than 5 days.”

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
South Africa with be a tougher opponent . Great Bowling but there batting is uneven .
But gee they don't play back here till Fri Jan 27 and that's just ODIs Tue Feb 28 firs test against the windies .. no summer of Cricket in SA.

South Africa with be a tougher opponent . Great Bowling but there batting is uneven .
But gee they don't play back here till Fri Jan 27 and that's just ODIs Tue Feb 28 firs test against the windies .. no summer of Cricket in SA.
Always a difficulty when SAf play here in Aus.
No ways around it

Warner bats ball into stumps again. Both innings. Never seen it before in a Test match.

Reckon we have lost the sharpness in selection that made us great for so long.

We used to regularly tap the older players in these circumstances, not matter how great they were. Through the 90s and 2000s there was a long line of guys pissed off to be dropped.

Would have been the perfect chance to drop Warner before the Windies series and get a young guy into the side.

Reactions: 1 users
Big 3rd umpire call coming up in Eng v Pakistan.

Ball moved for mine as he was catching it. The ground assisted in the catch. Should be benefit of doubt to batsman.

England are blessed. Things just seem to go their way all the time.

Reckon we have lost the sharpness in selection that made us great for so long.

We used to regularly tap the older players in these circumstances, not matter how great they were. Through the 90s and 2000s there was a long line of guys pissed off to be dropped.

Would have been the perfect chance to drop Warner before the Windies series and get a young guy into the side.
We had the depth. not sure there are guys below demanding places.