Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

I think that was the key to all this. South African crowds are brutal, much more so than England or Australia where there tends to be more underlying humour.

Warner had a tour of the crowd saying things about his Mrs, holding up signs, wearing Sonny Bill masks, and so on. The South African players also pull no punches when it comes to sledging.

I think it was as simple as he copped such a psychological barrage that he just snapped. Had a melt down and lost the plot trying to hit back at them, got to a younger team mate who worshipped him and out they went with the sandpaper.
South African crowds are brutal but English crowds were disgusting towards Steve Smith in 2019.

The cognitive dissonance amongst fans (and players) of all stripes is hilarious when it comes to cheating. England won the 2005 Ashes thanks ball-tampering, yet Michael Vaughan wouldn't shut up about Australia cheating in Capetown. I guess he figured he'd hide in plain sight.

Ball-tampering has been going on forever. It is the inevitable consequence of lifeless pitches that are unfairly in favour of batsmen. Sarfraz, Imran, Akram, Waqar and their reverse swing got away with it for decades. Atherton rubbed dirt on the ball, etc.

Our blokes copped the harshest punishment by a mile of anyone who has even been done for ball-tampering. ICC punishment is one game, they got a year. They've paid a stiffer price than anyone, certainly more than those English heroes who used lozenges and mints instead of sandpaper and got MBEs instead of suspensions.

Produce fair pitches. Leave the flat tracks for pyjama cricket.

Reactions: 9 users
As I understand it they never actually tampered with the ball, Bancroft was caught straight away.

I reckon I have a pretty good understanding of what went down in that dressing room and from what I've heard Warner's view is total crap.
Gees, you can be unlucky, imagine the one time he had the sandpaper in his hands, the camera caught him.
Imagine it didn't do the plumbs much good either.

Reactions: 1 users
Great fascinating cricket in Multan Pakistan.
Two leg spinners bowling to Poms who are sweeping and reverse sweeping almost every ball.
Abrar is a finger spinning leg spinner ala John Gleeson of NSW and Australia.
If you can I urge you to have a look. Simply nothing like cricket in Australia .
Really great to see.

Last edited:
Gees, you can be unlucky, imagine the one time he had the sandpaper in his hands, the camera caught him.

IIRC it was actually the SA players who said something to the cameramen.

Last edited:

If you ever get the chance to go into the TV truck at the ground you will see on the bank of screens the feed from every camera they have, which the producers select shots from.

The camera can't move as fast as the ball so they have every player on the field in shot on a camera at any one time, all being watched by the TV crew.

If you are rubbing the ball with something they tend to spot you pretty quickly. The only way to ball tamper is the tried and true methods like sunscreen or mints, that you can mix with sweat or spit.

Reactions: 1 user
Heh heh.... all high hopes for Boland to get 1st wicket on 1st ball like he did last summer.

South African crowds brutal?

Nah, I went to a day of test cricket at Wanderers years ago and they barely had a bad word for the Australian team.

Not sure, but might have had something to do with Waugh and Blewett batting all day :rotfl2

DS

South African crowds are brutal but English crowds were disgusting towards Steve Smith in 2019.

England, Australia and New Zealand can all be horrific crowds but they have a line, or at least the authorities do.

Someone held up a 'Free JL' sign in Perth last week and security took it down within 10 minutes.

In South Africa there was a sign up saying one member of the Australian team fathered another's child for an entire test match!

England, Australia and New Zealand can all be horrific crowds but they have a line, or at least the authorities do.

Someone held up a 'Free JL' sign in Perth last week and security took it down within 10 minutes.

In South Africa there was a sign up saying one member of the Australian team fathered another's child for an entire test match!
Was that the Slater - Gilchrist one and Gilly ended up scoring his double hundred?

On Warner and CA in general have a listen to ACA CEO Todd Greenberg here. This is very much his same tone as after the Tim Paine debacle.

Now listen to the fraud Nick Fuckley here.

Tell Leysy which one should be CA CEO.

Both well worth a listen to show everyone who is a good leader and who couldn't lead a dog. Sorry JB know you stick up for him.

Malcolm Conn puts Leysy's points rather more succinctly here:

It is fantastic though that he is finally being found out (albeit after Leysy seeing through him years ago). Karma bus finally arriving.

He won't see the summer out.

Last edited:
Why is Cricket so unpopular in Australia now ?

Is it we are saturated with it , due to so many forms of the game ?

Is it the commentators ?

Is it the Indian Cricket domination off field ?

Is it the individuals That play for Australia now ?

Is it that we can now watch basically any sport around the world now that us 40+ year olds could never do as kids and now find these sports “ better”

Is it that our team is hated around the other nations due to the way we conduct our selves ?

Or Is it simply David Warners fault!!!!!

im one who grew up playing and loving Cricket , however now I basically don’t watch any form of the game , in saying that looking forward to going to day 2 of the Boxing Day test , unlikley I’ll see a ball live , but I’m sure it will be a ripper day at the “cricket”

Is it the commentators ?

Is it that we can now watch basically any sport around the world now that us 40+ year olds could never do as kids and now find these sports “ better”

Is it that our team is hated around the other nations due to the way we conduct our selves ?

im one who grew up playing and loving Cricket , however now I basically don’t watch any form of the game , in saying that looking forward to going to day 2 of the Boxing Day test , unlikley I’ll see a ball live , but I’m sure it will be a ripper day at the “cricket”
All very good points Mr B. Probably a combination of all.

Though Leysy said you have to add Hockley as the main cause.

• Haha

Is it the commentators ?

Probably saturation, the variety of sports and poor CA management. I really don't see how the team can be all that unpopular apart from some selected individuals..

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Saturation of meaningless games
number 1 for leysy.

Punters don't want to invest their hard earned to attend an event that has very little if anything riding on the outcome.

Outside of world cups (of which there are many) it is really only Ashes and Indian Test series that have Leysy invested enough to care.

Reactions: 5 users
Saturation of meaningless games
number 1 for leysy.

Punters don't want to invest their hard earned to attend an event that has very little if anything riding on the outcome.

Outside of world cups (of which there are many) it is really only Ashes and Indian Test series that have Leysy invested enough to care.

Yep, this.

Too many meaningless games. What was with the one-dayers against England, was there any point to these?

I know test cricket is not the most spectator friendly game but at least the result of test series matter, the endless short-form cricket games I really care little about.

DS

Is it the commentators ?

Meaningless ODIs and T20 games, terrible scheduling and very poor opposition in test cricket.