Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Poorly?

Try disgracefully.

Just not as disgracefully as Paine or Langer.

Have one question - how widespread do you think the knowledge of ball tampering at Sandpapergate was?

Finally, Erskine made those comments after Warner pulled the pin on his appeal. So your point is moot around it impacting his leadership aspirations.
The ends justify the means. It's been a good thing that Paine and Langer are gone.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Paine was just about finished but his and Langers departures were totally bungled.

Leysy on fire on this thread

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Have one question - how widespread do you think the knowledge of ball tampering at Sandpapergate was?

Finally, Erskine made those comments after Warner pulled the pin on his appeal. So your point is moot around it impacting his leadership aspirations.

I'm unsure how widespread knowledge was. As in everything its probably somewhere between just Warner and Bancroft and what Erskine states.

On the other point my original point was that I wouldn't be surprised if Warner lost his spot in the team over the comments, he still has plenty to lose.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I'm unsure how widespread knowledge was. As in everything its probably somewhere between just Warner and Bancroft and what Erskine states.

On the other point my original point was that I wouldn't be surprised if Warner lost his spot in the team over the comments, he still has plenty to lose.
His test career will come to an end soon anyway, unless he can score some runs- no 100s, or series average over 35 since the summer of 19/20.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Should never have put a Pom in charge of Australian cricket. Or any non-Australian. I don't even like seeing Vettori in the dugout.

England a few years ago. How to fix English cricket......

1 - Screw up Australian cricket - Get an under cover agent in there to stir *smile* up - Check
2 - Look to the good nations (Australia / NZ) and recruit their best coaches - Check
3 - Sit back and watch the fireworks fly - Check

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

1 - Screw up Australian cricket - Get an under cover agent in there to stir *smile* up - Check
2 - Look to the good nations (Australia / NZ) and recruit their best coaches - Check
Meanwhile in test cricket, which is the real fair dinkum cricket, less than 12 months ago Australia demolished England 4-0 to win the Ashes :)

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Meanwhile in test cricket, which is the real fair dinkum cricket, less than 12 months ago Australia demolished England 4-0 to win the Ashes :)

Not in my mind, though I do have 1 of those Men In Black memory wipe ray guns for everytime England play in Australia, which might explain why its been a long time between tours. The last time I remember us playing here was in 2011 :)

Reactions: 1 user

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
To my mind it beggars belief that the fast bowlers had no knowledge of it.
They get the ball back every second over, you'd think they would see the change in condition.

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Not talking about Warner's statement. I'm talking about Erskine accusing officials of being involved. Do you think thats going to get him back to a leadership position? I agree its been handled poorly.

Absolutely deplorable from Erskine to make these comments on what was a massive occasion for Shane Warne's legacy and his family.

Completely stole the spotlight.

As his manager, he should be ashamed of himself.

They get the ball back every second over, you'd think they would see the change in condition.

As I understand it they never actually tampered with the ball, Bancroft was caught straight away.

I reckon I have a pretty good understanding of what went down in that dressing room and from what I've heard Warner's view is total crap.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Not in my mind, though I do have 1 of those Men In Black memory wipe ray guns for everytime England play in Australia, which might explain why its been a long time between tours. The last time I remember us playing here was in 2011 :)
I too have suffered from a short memory at times, be a good title for a song that :)

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
How boring and meaningless is the current series against the Windies?

I was in Perth last week and got to go to day 1 of the Test. I saw two wickets. Maybe Adelaide spectators yesterday were lucky enough to see one extra wicket.

I have no idea what is the future of cricket. And I don't think a world of T20 is the solution.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I’m sure the bowlers knew what was going on.
Warner was the designated ball polisher with his fingers and thumb taped, right up to the previous test. That was the test where Warner lost his rag with De Kock.
I always assumed that Warner gave the ball polishing duties to Bancroft in the next test because after his clash De Kock he knew that there would be a lot of media attention on him.
Not the sharpest tool in the shed is Davey, on the previous tour he accused South Africa of ball tampering. There was always going to be attention paid to him.

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
How boring and meaningless is the current series against the Windies?

I was in Perth last week and got to go to day 1 of the Test. I saw two wickets. Maybe Adelaide spectators yesterday were lucky enough to see one extra wicket.

I have no idea what is the future of cricket. And I don't think a world of T20 is the solution.

Maybe they need to consider bonus points for certain things in the Test Championship. ie. high run rates, quick wickets. Types of things that change the mindset of test cricket a little bit to be more aggressive.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
That was the test where Warner lost his rag with De Kock.

I think that was the key to all this. South African crowds are brutal, much more so than England or Australia where there tends to be more underlying humour.

Warner had a tour of the crowd saying things about his Mrs, holding up signs, wearing Sonny Bill masks, and so on. The South African players also pull no punches when it comes to sledging.

I think it was as simple as he copped such a psychological barrage that he just snapped. Had a melt down and lost the plot trying to hit back at them, got to a younger team mate who worshipped him and out they went with the sandpaper.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I think that was the key to all this. South African crowds are brutal, much more so than England or Australia where there tends to be more underlying humour.

Warner had a tour of the crowd saying things about his Mrs, holding up signs, wearing Sonny Bill masks, and so on. The South African players also pull no punches when it comes to sledging.

I think it was as simple as he copped such a psychological barrage that he just snapped. Had a melt down and lost the plot trying to hit back at them, got to a younger team mate who worshipped him and out they went with the sandpaper.
I was always a fan of Warner, and was pleased that he was selected to play test cricket. I still am a fan of his batting, is on the decline a bit though.
Once he established himself, his behaviour in the field really annoyed me. I’m ok with a bit of sledging, but he was over the top.

There’s no doubt that things got out of control. I’m sure him accusing them of ball tampering on the previous tour would’ve been still in the back of their minds. Play with fire and someone is going to get burnt.
Probably a bit of blame from both sides in regards to the animosity.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne

Not sure how this works but………..:)

1670551177842.png