Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Usman Khawaja the Shane Warne Mens Test player of the year, richly deserved. The good thing about being miked up on the BBL and watching The test on Amazon you feel like you get to know players better and UK comes across as a beauty. By the same token it confirms Dave Warner as a …..

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Fantastic to see Ian Redpath get inducted into the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame, he was my favourite Aussie player when I was a lad. He got some gutsy 100's against the West Indies.
This article is well worth a read, what a humble man Redders is.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
This article is well worth a read, what a humble man Redders is.

I've met him a few times in recent years, and he seems a pretty good bloke.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
If it wasn't for Kid Cooper Connolly, the Heat would've won the final tonight. What a loud West Coast crowd that joint has.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
If it wasn't for Kid Cooper Connolly, the Heat would've won the final tonight. What a loud West Coast crowd that joint has.
good final. The heat player who dropped the catch won't sleep tonight. And a poor final over from Neser.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Just back from the Big Bash final, what a game, what an atmosphere. I thought the Scorchers were done when Turner got run out.
My mate I went to the cricket with son went to school with Cooper Connolly, what a talent, only 19yo.
A single off his first ball which was the last ball of the over, a 6 off his 2nd ball, 2 off his 3rd ball, a 4 off his 4th ball followed by 2 dot balls and a 6 off the last ball of the over.

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Just back from the Big Bash final, what a game, what an atmosphere. I thought the Scorchers were done when Turner got run out.
My mate I went to the cricket with son went to school with Cooper Connolly, what a talent, only 19yo.
A single off his first ball which was the last ball of the over, a 6 off his 2nd ball, 2 off his 3rd ball, a 4 off his 4th ball followed by 2 dot balls and a 6 off the last ball of the over.

That's the sort of performance that can make a young man very rich, very quickly in the IPL.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Even though I'm a fan of Todd Murphy, I hope the selectors don't fall for the trap of playing 2 spinners in the test against India. Would much rather they go in with Cummins, Boland and the wild thing Morris.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Even though I'm a fan of Todd Murphy, I hope the selectors don't fall for the trap of playing 2 spinners in the test against India. Would much rather they go in with Cummins, Boland and the wild thing Morris.
I doubt we'll play two offies considering their batting line-up is mostly right-handers, plus Head's offies are very handy now (let's hope he can make some runs - feel Ashwin will own him though). Green being unlikely to be able to bowl in the first Test reduces our options - ideally he'd be third seamer with two spinners - either Agar or Swepson (think Agar more likely given how well left-arm finger spinners do there). I didn't realise Morris was on the tour. Not ideal going into the first Test without Starc, Hazlewood and Green's bowling.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
I doubt we'll play two offies considering their batting line-up is mostly right-handers, plus Head's offies are very handy now (let's hope he can make some runs - feel Ashwin will own him though). Green being unlikely to be able to bowl in the first Test reduces our options - ideally he'd be third seamer with two spinners - either Agar or Swepson (think Agar more likely given how well left-arm finger spinners do there). I didn't realise Morris was on the tour. Not ideal going into the first Test without Starc, Hazlewood and Green's bowling.

Bloody looking forward to this series. Green leaves a big hole doesn't he. Still we can't make an excuse about injuries when Pant and Bumrah are both out.

Selection interesting. Does Green play as a batsman if fit (leysy wouldn't) or Renshaw/Hanscomb. They may want the latter to break up the possibility of lefties of Head, Renshaw, Carey at 5,6,7. Dunno.

If you take it as a given that Cummins, Boland and Lyon take 3 of the 4 bowling spots - who takes the remaining one.

Spin - Murphy, Agar or Swepson. Agar's spin simply aint good enough to trouble India. Leaves Swepson V Murphy. Haven't seen enough of the latter, but mightn't need to be too great to get ahead of Swepson.

Or go with Morris and hope Head, Smith and Labuschagne can do well enough in the 2nd spin spot combined to take 4 to 5 wickets between them for the match.

Why Green so vital. He bowls it's a no brainer to take 2 spinners.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Bloody looking forward to this series. Green leaves a big hole doesn't he. Still we can't make an excuse about injuries when Pant and Bumrah are both out.

Selection interesting. Does Green play as a batsman if fit (leysy wouldn't) or Renshaw/Hanscomb. They may want the latter to break up the possibility of lefties of Head, Renshaw, Carey at 5,6,7. Dunno.

If you take it as a given that Cummins, Boland and Lyon take 3 of the 4 bowling spots - who takes the remaining one.

Spin - Murphy, Agar or Swepson. Agar's spin simply aint good enough to trouble India. Leaves Swepson V Murphy. Haven't seen enough of the latter, but mightn't need to be too great to get ahead of Swepson.

Or go with Morris and hope Head, Smith and Labuschagne can do well enough in the 2nd spin spot combined to take 4 to 5 wickets between them for the match.

Why Green so vital. He bowls it's a no brainer to take 2 spinners.
Renshaw and Handscomb could both be in the side before the end, if Warner and/or Head don't perform. Green played well in the sub-continent last year, think he'll play. Shame Maxwell's injured as not even you could argue he's not one of our best players of spin.

I think Agar can surprise. Neither Jadeja or Axar could take a wicket in Australia and they're gods over there. SOK took 12-for last tour. It's about accuracy and consistency and letting the vaguaries of the pitch do the damage.

It'll be interesting to see if India has the guts to do as Australia does and produce good, fair, cricket pitches, or if they continue to do what they and England do whenever we tour and doctor them to give themselves the best chance of winning (see: The Coward's Guide to Beating a Touring Australia).

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Pitch looks absolutely bizarre.

Being deliberately cut and rolled to give spinners potent areas outside left-handers off stump.

Never seen anything like it.
Guess that answers my question. India still gutless minnow cricket nation mentality.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
It'll be interesting to see if India has the guts to do as Australia does and produce good, fair, cricket pitches, or if they continue to do what they and England do whenever we tour and doctor them to give themselves the best chance of winning (see: The Coward's Guide to Beating a Touring Australia).

Bit harsh on England there spook. I don't think we've ever really doctored pitchs away from what suits Australia. Its more so the climate is different.

I could easily argue it the other way. Australia makes hard, fast dry wickets as they know that bowlers from England don't suit it, but thats no really true. Its the heat that bakes the wicket to make it as hard as they are.

Likewise England isn't as hot and is wetter, so the wickets tend to retain a bit more grass and therefore aren't as hard, ie. less bouncy and susceptible to more seam movement and swing through the air.

Its why England develops more swing bowlers than truly quick bowlers, because that express pace doesn't swing.

Its a silly argument (and an arrogant one) to blame other countries when the wicket doesn't suit your bowlers perfectly.

Seemed to work well for Glenn McGrath (who wasn't express pace), his average was better in England than it was in Australia.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Bit harsh on England there spook. I don't think we've ever really doctored pitchs away from what suits Australia. Its more so the climate is different.

I could easily argue it the other way. Australia makes hard, fast dry wickets as they know that bowlers from England don't suit it, but thats no really true. Its the heat that bakes the wicket to make it as hard as they are.

Likewise England isn't as hot and is wetter, so the wickets tend to retain a bit more grass and therefore aren't as hard, ie. less bouncy and susceptible to more seam movement and swing through the air.

Its why England develops more swing bowlers than truly quick bowlers, because that express pace doesn't swing.

Its a silly argument (and an arrogant one) to blame other countries when the wicket doesn't suit your bowlers perfectly.

Seemed to work well for Glenn McGrath (who wasn't express pace), his average was better in England than it was in Australia.
That used to be the case. Last series some very odd pitches.
Was it Lords very green when Archer was on fire?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Hope Renshaw gets another crack. A lot more rounded/confident player now.

Please no to Agar, I'd rather Head/Marnus/Smith make up the overs.

Green shouldn't play IMO.