Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
From what I understand, cricket pitches are greatly affected by the climate:

England: Green tops
Australia: hard
India: dust bowls

How much "doctoring" of the pitch takes place in world cricket? Is over-watering the pitch doctoring? How about drying it/using heavy/light rollers?

If this is doctoring, then it seems the whole pitch is prepared the same way.

As has been mentioned, India are "doctoring" today's pitch but only on the offside for left-handers. I realise there are no laws about this, but are India taking the p!ss, or can they do whatever they want as both teams are using the same pitch?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

How much "doctoring" of the pitch takes place in world cricket? Is over-watering the pitch doctoring? How about drying it/using heavy/light rollers?

As has been mentioned, India are "doctoring" today's pitch but only on the offside for left-handers. I realise there are no laws about this, but are India taking the p!ss, or can they do whatever they want as both teams are using the same pitch?
Yeah, you're never going to get Australia-type fast, bouncy pitches in India or England. But white ball cricket shows they can produce pitche that aren't bunsen burners or greentops.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Another first class ton to Marcus Harris. If this guy could ever translate his FC form into test form he’d be a gun.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Lose Heads offspin as well, which could prove more than crucial.

Not sure Spook would even have pulled this reign.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Thinking more, Renshaw's left arm spin is close to the equal of Head's and gives it a left arm presence.

Anyone who saw Head bat in Sri Lanka shouldn't be too surprised. Still, after his recent form thought he would have got the initial nod.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014

It looks absolutely like it's been doctored to favour the Indian spinners bowling to all our LH batsmen: Handscomb in for Head to make one less LH and claims Warner is considering batting RH!
There's a match referee. Why isn't he involved to ensure a regular pitch is prepared that gives equal opportunity to each side as well as the range of bowlers and batsmen i.e. pace/spin, LH/RH? [Same for awful green Brisbane strip V SA - not up to standard by a long way}

ICC is a joke and India far too influential due to all the y $$$$ they have to invest in the game. If they really want to be regarded as the best Test side in the world, why are they so afraid of any pitch except a dustbowl turner?

They even have some decent pace bowlers in these modern times. It's all pathetic really.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Warner - not doing his away record any favours

Wouldn't want to have Day 4 & 5 tickets

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
If the selectors don’t trust Head in India why take him?

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah, you're never going to get Australia-type fast, bouncy pitches in India or England. But white ball cricket shows they can produce pitche that aren't bunsen burners or greentops.
That is a great point. They can generate wickets that have pace, bounce and carry for a one dayer.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Warner - not doing his away record any favours
Warners test score since January 1 2022:
30, 3, 0, 0, 68, 36, 7, 7, 51, 25, 10*, 5, 24, 5, 48, 21, 28, 0, 3, 200, 10, 1 . 553 @ 26. Take out that 200 outlier and it’s 353 @ 16.8.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users