Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Correct. synthetic wickets are an absolute rarity in England.

The only incorrect component of your post was around the ball going past at ankle height. Quite the opposite on most pitches.

Some you couldn't tell the pitch from the outfield and a wily 50 y.o bowling cutters off a length would be near unplayable. Certainly impossible to drive unless it was a half volley.
Thanks for that Leysy. So I was correct in the assumption of rubbish turf pitches at lower levels in England. Just incorrect about how that component specifically plays out.

It's nearly like in Australia, many years ago those in the sport took a pragmatic view, that at the lower levels there is just not the resources to produce decent pitches, so we'll play on concrete - which then of course evolved to synthetic matting over the top of a concrete base from the late 1980s onwards. Helps from a weather perspective too. No covers needed....pitch is usually playable not long after a shower of rain.

Like I said in the earlier comment. The only issue I ever ran into with concrete was one school who had what looked to be a 40YO crumbling slab of concrete with cracks galore and base gravel wearing through. As well as weeds growing through the slab joins. I think it was in two or three slab sections where one had sunk a bit also. That was unplayable and dangerous. Reminded me of this abandoned test at Sabina Park.

Reactions: 1 user
Hard for Warner to blame the track when he loses off pole to a medium pacer.

Have a feeling we need to be 2-200 here to make 300.
It was the perfect length ball to Warner - he's never been good at covering his off stump and often is trapped on the crease.

You say he's medium pace but Shami does have the ability to hurry batsman up, as they say he bowls a heavy ball. It was close to 140kmh so not really medium pace.

I'd missed the announcement that Finch has retired.

Great cricketer, great bloke. Old school operator who loves a beer and a smoke (or vape).

Cut from the same cloth as the King.

It was the perfect length ball to Warner - he's never been good at covering his off stump and often is trapped on the crease.

You say he's medium pace but Shami does have the ability to hurry batsman up, as they say he bowls a heavy ball. It was close to 140kmh so not really medium pace.

Yeah harsh on Shami, he's a quality player.

Hard to be much more than medium pace on that wicket though.

Cummins has lost whatever he briefly had with the bat.

A lot on Handscomb and the bowlers, if they're getting to 200.

Would've loved to have seen Morris, The Wild Thing selected. He, Cummins and Boland coming around the wicket and sticking it right up em !!!!

Be interesting to see how Handscomb and Lyon play after tea, they've got to take the Indian bowlers on for mine.

weak effort with the bat.

Gave away the huge advantage we got by winning the toss.

Reactions: 1 users