Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Re: Cricket

Don't understand the sudden need to find a gun alrounder just because Flintoff has emerged.  We've done extremely well without one over the years and we have Gilchrist anyway.

bigwow said:
It took Freddie Flintoff a long time to click as a Test All-rounder.
While watson may not be in this class, he does average 40+ with the bat at first class level, and high 20's/low30's with the ball, he will need time to find his feet at test level.

Dirk Wellham made 100 on debut, and only played 4 tests, it took Steve Waugh 26 tests to make a century, and look how he turned out.

I agree. As I said, Watson is improving, and they should continue with him. At the moment he probably isnt quite ready, but his pace has improved into the low 140's, and playing against the Windies is a good chance for him to get some experience and hopefully some confidence

jb03 said:
Don't understand the sudden need to find a gun alrounder just because Flintoff has emerged.  We've done extremely well without one over the years and we have Gilchrist anyway.
I see your point jb, but we did just lose the Ashes. It's questionable now whether we still are the no1 side in the world.

The Aussie middle order has short comings and when Gilly fails as he did against Flintoff & co. the batting lineup looks even more fragile. As for the bowling? Well when McGrath goes :help. Watson hopefully will strengthen the side as an all rounder in both these areas.

McGrath is irreplaceable and so is Warne these guys along with Dizzy at his best are Bowlers that dont come around very often especially in the case of WARNE and PIGEON they are true greats of the game.

watson is a dud, only in the team coz of australia's new found love of a flintoff type all rounder. watson is an average batter, and he bowls like garth larew(slams it into the pitch) not up to it yet i think.
id rather see jon moss in the team, he is a NSWelshman after all, and i thought they got a free ticket into the team, i mean, look at bracken. maybe he's being punished for playing state cricket in victoria.

is kasper in the team?

I see Shane Watson's batting his main concern as I reckon his bowling is up to scratch.We don't need hacks like Bracken in the side.Watson should be persisted with.

Looks like Langer will miss the first test with a broken rib.

Hussey likely to be called up to make his test debut and open up with Hayden. Onya Mike.

DragicevicFan said:

Hussey likely to be called up to make his test debut and open up with Hayden. Onya Mike.

Langer's pretty tough, don't count him out yet.
Though I can testify, having done it myself recently, a cracked rib or two is bloody painful!!

bigwow said:
DragicevicFan said:

Langer's pretty tough, don't count him out yet.
Though I can testify, having done it myself recently, a cracked rib or two is bloody painful!!
Would be silly to play him.He would be vulnerable with his batting & fielding.

The selectors would best casting their minds back to 1985 and a very young Steven Waugh making his debut for Australia. If only because of Australia's poor standing, back in 1985, Waugh was persevered with. He eventually scored his first century in England, in 1989, 4 years later.

The major obstacle for Australian cricket is that both its national and state sides are too far skewed to players without any upside.
It should be looking towards its 21-24yos for its future.
Unfortunately this is not happening.
Reeks of English cricket of the early 70s.

This is all very interesting, but the big question is, what the hell happened to NZ's Shane Bond's bowling last night against South Africa?? He got carted all over the field. Very unlike him. Here's hoping it was just a case of having a bad day at the office. He's a gun bowler.

Think Olympic Games football (world game) - U/23 bar allowance for 3-4 'overage' players (max)....Should a similar limit be considered for Cricket's World Cup &,by association ODIs + perhaps ING Cup, to help promote youth etc, or is that unnecessarily ageist ? Just seems there are many players past their 'use by' date that are clinging onto a 1st class career due to the money in the game...Guess the counter argument to that suggestion is a 'Logans Run'.....Shield cricket needs to reclaim its place as the best academy in the game...          

Hussey likely to play for the injured Langer.Hope he does well & keeps either Hayden or Langer out of the side.I regard Hussey highly & whilst he is 30 he still has more cricket ahead of him than Hayden or Langer.

I agree with keeping Huss in the side MB he shoulda been in the Ashes side and this side instead of Katich who i do not rate, especially after being given another chance at the side after his dummyspit and tantie when dropped after doing nothing.

Bring on the Huss and get rid of the Kat :hihi

craig said:
I agree with keeping Huss in the side MB he shoulda been in the Ashes side and this side instead of Katich who i do not rate, especially after being given another chance at the side after his dummyspit and tantie when dropped after doing nothing.

Bring on the Huss and get rid of the Kat :hihi
There's plenty of fuss about the Huss but he should take the place of Langer or Hayden.An opener to replace an opener.As for Kattich this will be a critical test for him.He has been servicable at times but needs to start making runs consistently.

Hows this for a future 11

North

Hussey

Ponting

Clarke

Rogers

Watson

Haddin

White

Lee

Johnston

Tait

Bracken

with Birt , and D Hussey possible considerations with the bat.

Sorry forgot Phil Jaques but is there any quality young bats in SA or QLD cos the majority are from WA again with Rogers , North and Hussey, Travis Birt from Tas is very good as is Clarkey and Dave Hussey.
Mitchell Johnston from QLD is very very quick but needs to learn control and would be a more scarier prospect to face than Bracken.

Windies have won the toss & sent the Aussies in on waht looks to be a green track.They would need to get some early wickets otherwise Aussies will pile on big 1syt innings score.After 25 min Aust are 0/9.