Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Re: Cricket

Tigers of Old said:
evo said:
He's a good batsman Bing Lee.I reckon he should come in ahead of Warney.
Seriously, maybe he's the answer instead of Watson. Starting to show very promising signs as an allrounder Lee. The guy can bat a fair bit.

yeah ,I'm not overly impressed with Watson.Prefer another quality bowler(ie not Bracken)There seems a sudden dearth in quality fast bowlers in Australia atm.Heaven help us when pidge retires.

They used to say Richard Hadley was an all rounder.I reckon Lee isn't far behind him in batting ability.Would be interesting to see comparable batting averages.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

I doubt Brett has the ability to play a long innings ie score 100 but who knows? He's a pretty determined player. If you gave him the responsibilty, maybe he'd work on it further(his batting). Besides I'm yet to be convinced with his value as purely a bowler at test level. When you throw Warnes increasingly regular batting cameos in and the obvious batting ability of our real allrounder in Gilchrist it does make you start to think do they need Shane Watson at all?

Gilchrist lbw b Collymore 44
Watson lbw b Edwards 16
Warne c Ramdin b Powell 47
Lee not c Collymore b Powell 47
Bracken c Sarwan b Edwards 37

Watson wouldn't be enjoying looking at those numbers. He'll be desperate to get some runs in the second dig.
I'm beginning to think they are better off grooming another young batting star and bring in another quality bowler. Where they are going to come from is the big dilemma.

I agree re McGrath's imminent retirement. :help

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003

these 2 seem to be batting confidently.Might be hope for this test yet....

1/72

oh....and bracken is a dud.

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

How lame are the Poms?? They are having a moustache growing competition

for team building http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4406928.stm

Curtiger

Tiger Champion
Oct 26, 2004
Moreland, Melbourne

They could at least take part in Movember, eh, TC?

We finished the day 508 ahead. Punter made his century and he and Clarke finished not out. I don't think we've declared yet...

I was very happy to see some of Warney's old deliveries back. The wrong'un was coming out beautifully today. Adding even more uncertainty to the unexperienced West Indians - clearly not used to the class of Ooh-Aah and The Sheikh of Tweak.

Here's hoping we finish it tomorrow. :beer

Gazza68

The sleeping giant is waking from his slumber
Oct 23, 2004

Dont forget Bracken comes from NSW, so thats nearly a walk up start for selection over the past 10 or 15 years. Its about time they started to blood some real talent in the bowling stocks instead of picking guys with a blue cap.
Also it was interesting hearing Holding commenting on Lee as a bowler, suggesting that he slows his bowling down to the low 140 km/h+ to allow the ball to swing, then throw in the 150+ every now & then just to catch them out . It was good to here some positive criticism from a past great bowler. I think this would prolong his career with less chances of serious back injuries & make him a more formidable bowler with more variety, which he lacks at the moment.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Windies :p what a sad yet spectacular fall from grace.
Watching this side must turn the stomaches of Richards , Walsh, Lloyd Holding and CO.

With so many Cricket Icons to call on why is the youthful Windies so lacking in discipline and Competitiveness not to mention talent which is a shame cos Gayle, Sarwan , Hinds, Powell and Bravo can all play and are talented they need to be sharpened up and the greats should be the ones helping to bring them on.

I used to love watching the mighty Windies it is such a contradiction watching this side.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

NEXT :D

Bring on the Pomms so we can take the ashes back and send em back to grey ol England with their tils between their legs.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Just a reminder that Hodge again failed in the first dig for the Vics when runs were at a premium (for Victoria and to get a game for Aust). Cameron White would be worth a shot in the middle order on his current form.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA

what a disgrace it is when you have to be over 30 in most cases to qualify for the no 1 team in your chosen sport.no wonder so many kids are choosing footy over cricket when it comes to a career path.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Very good point there Claw :clap.

It seems cricket's administration in general have really dropped the ball in this respect.

Players used to retire at 32-35 max and this would provide opportunity for young players to come through and invogourate the ranks and the sport.
In the last 10-15 years thanks mainly to guys like AB, Courtney Walsh, S.Waugh, Graham Gooch etc etc etc. most players now believe they're entitled to play until they're virtually kicked out at the age of 40. With the money they are on why wouldn't they?

Problem is that does little to invigourate interest in the younger generation :(.

It's only my opinion, but it's been detremental long term to the sport for mine.
It does absolutely nothing to encourage kids to play a game perceived to be played by old people. Young kids need young heroes, otherwise they lose interest very quickly.

I think it's no coincidence the perceived standard of cricket has dropped across the board. Cricket on the whole is seen as a game played by the older generation and kids are choosing alternatives. :blah

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

I nabbed this from a poster(mrbronco) ;D on sportal.com.au to support the youth argument. Seems players are waiting longer & longer to make their test debuts.

Taylor ---------24y 91d
Border---------23y 155d
M Waugh------25y 237d
S Waugh------20y 207d
Ponting--------20y 354d
Jones----------22y 358d
Boon----------23y 330d
Hayden--------22y 126d
Langer---------22y 63d
Martyn---------21y 37d
Slater----------23y 102d
Warne---------22y 111d
McGrath-------23y 276d
Healy----------24y 138d
Bevan---------24y 143d
McDermott----19y 252d
Gillespie-------21y 224d

Makes interesting reading. Of course there will be exceptions to the rule(ie not all were successful on debut etc.). but it's surprising to me that players these days have to wait so long to make their debuts.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Problem is the Aussies keep winning to it is hard to change a winning line up. We lost the ashes so there was a couple of scapegoats (Martyn, Gillespie). Warnie is talking about playing into his 40's, are you going to drop him? McGrath - the fast bolwing looks weak when he is out of the team.

India and Pakistan play their players very young and they've rarely, if ever dominated world cricket.

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield

Having a look at Pakistan A side V England.
Captain is Hasan Raza who made his test debut against Australia age 14 and hardly played since. Pakistan play them young but are always unsettled in and out of side. Lots of changes in terms of captain and coaches.Out of every test nation they have probably played most players in last 10 ten years, yet how many good cricketers have come out of that. I would say 0 as Shoaib is not that good and Danish Kaniera is yet to establish himself. The Australian model except in one series has not failed.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne

Hodge should come in for Kattich & I'd keep Hussey & bat him in the middle order.Watson probably out for rest of summer.Unfortunately he has had many injuries.Kattich has had too many chances & should have his file stamped.