Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Here it is. Impressive. Didn't shy away from much and showed a lot of Leadership

Pat Cummins' full statement

"There has been much public comment since Justin Langer's resignation as the Coach of the Australian Cricket team.

"For good reason, I haven't made public comment before today.

"To speak about a decision, which was yet to be made and which is for Cricket Australia to make, would have put Cricket Australia and the team in an impossible position.

"I'd never do that.

"I believe in respecting the sanctity of the change room and proper process.

"Now that a decision has been made by Justin to resign and given his own public comments and others by Cricket Australia, I can provide some clarity.

"Justin has acknowledged that his style was intense. And it was.

"He has apologised to players and staff for his intensity.

"I think the apology was unnecessary.

"Because the players were OK with JL's intensity.

"It came from a good place – his fierce love of Australia and the baggy green – something which has served Australian cricket well for three decades.

"It's what makes him a legend of the sport.

"And Justin's intensity drove a better team culture and higher team standards.

"These are significant Justin Langer legacies.

"And on behalf of the players, I thank Justin.

"More than that, we owe him a lot and Justin will be a welcome face in the change room in the future.

"So, his intensity was not the issue for the players and the support staff.

"The question is: what is the best style of coaching for the future, given how the team has evolved?

"We have been very well schooled in how to play cricket in the right way – in the correct Australian way.

"We understand the importance of always playing to the highest ethical standards.

"And the players need no motivation as I've never played with more motivated cricketers.

"To be better players for Australia, from this solid foundation, we need a new style of coaching and skill set.

"This was the feedback the players gave to Cricket Australia. And it's the feedback I understand support staff also gave.

"We welcome that Cricket Australia invited the players and staff to contribute to CA's evaluation.

"I add that as professional sportspeople we would have accepted any decision CA were to make because that's what professionals do.

"CA have made a brave call to transition, given the team has been winning.

"Finally, we are custodians of cricket, with one very big thing in common: our first duty is to Australian cricket, which is bigger than any one of us.

"I take this responsibility seriously. I live and breathe it.

"We also have a duty to our mates.

"Many former players have reached out to me and silently offered me their advice which is welcome.

"Some others have spoken in the media – which is also welcome and comes from a love of the game and their support of a mate.

"To all past players, I want to say this:

"Just as you have always stuck up for your mates, I'm sticking up for mine.

"I'm looking forward to speaking with the media today before training."

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Just ruminating out loud about the Langer situation. He was dragged in out of desperation over the sand paper saga n how obnoxious the Aussie team was seen to have become over recent years.
Under Langer's and Paine's influence they've become at least on the surface a far more civilized n well behaved team while also recently performing well and dominating games.

Now there's no Langer, no Paine yet half the squad involved in sand paper gate are still in the team n are the experienced mature leader type players, and it's already fairly obvious they weren't putting much effort into supporting their coach.
Wondering how long it will take these blokes to revert to previous form if things get a bit tough n tight during a couple of sub continent tours. Got me a feeling the old ugly Aussie cricketer will be poking his head up for a look around before the end of 2022.
I'd bet my last 50 cents on it that Warner is a protagonist.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Call out to the other ex-pat cricket fans here, i.e. those living in far-flung non-cricketing parts of the world.

What do you do for streaming (legally, paid for) Australian cricket matches played outside Australia? It's always something different and not always easy to find who has the rights for an individual tour. It depends on where it's coming from and even where you are located yourself (in my case Denmark).

If it's in India it's generally pretty easy ... something like Yupp-TV will have it. But for anywhere else it's a bit of a lottery, and honestly it's a bit disappointing that the wonders of the internet haven't streamlined problems like this a bit better.

Even the Ashes - i.e. INSIDE AUSTRALIA, was moved to ICC-TV this year - seems Cricket Australia have outsourced it yet again.

I'm wondering where the Pakistan stuff is going to be.

I can always use the illegal/free/pirated streams as a backup but they are less reliable and of a poorer quality. I will use them for stuff not involving Australia, but for Australian games I am willing to pay (a bit).

Edit: I am not willing to go the VPN route.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The PR spivs worked on it for just that outcome I'd say
yes, i would be amazed if Cummins wrote himself.

if it is Cummins and the players thought, i think it could be translated to:
we respect Langer's career, he is a decent coach who has got some good results, but we dont want him to coach us cos he is a pain in the ass.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
It went to great pains to say what wasn't the problem.
It wasn't Langer as a person. Or his intensity.
That now they want 'calm and composed'.
Something more than a motivator and standards bearer.

There has been enough Media leaking on both sides.
We can guess it's the 3 factors
A. Volatility. An explosive personality
B. Tactical Consistency
C. Cummins is the boss.
Sydney test 2020 v India was the problem.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
yes, i would be amazed if Cummins wrote himself.

if it is Cummins and the players thought, i think it could be translated to:
we respect Langer's career, he is a decent coach who has got some good results, but we dont want him to coach us cos he is a pain in the ass.
Happy for the statement to be positive and thankful to Langer and time to move on

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Pucovski looking very comfortable, hasn’t had too many short balls to deal with, but hasn’t been troubled by the ones that he has faced.

Vics 0/75 after SA were all out 366.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Pucovski out caught behind for 58, a shocking decision Carey just went through the motions of appealing, Vics 2-131.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Australian team showing some real steel post JL.

Even by T20 standards the second half of the innings has been as soft as a pensioner's *smile*.

No wonder they wanted him out, he wouldn't cop this garbage.
Trolling? They've won comfortably. and they oollapsed heaps of times under Langer.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Vic 2-7 chasing 309. Pucovski opened in the first innings, but hasn't been sighted in the 2nd innings.
He got hit on the arm when I was watching in the first innings, don't know whether that's got anything to do with him not batting.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Pucovski has been subbed out under the concussion rule for Travis Dean.

Surely this is the end now?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Pucovski has been subbed out under the concussion rule for Travis Dean.

Surely this is the end now?
That's got me stumped, I saw all his innings yesterday and didn't see him get hit in the head, he did get hit on the arm.

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Will Was hit on the head during warm-ups this morning