Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

RoryBaby

Tiger Rookie
May 29, 2008
Fantastic tribute to Mikey and Bumbles on Fox prior to today's play ENG vs NZ. Highly recommend.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Super entertaining over from Broad.

Ball 3 - Really good delivery to take Mitchell for 108 and break the big partnership
Ball 4 - Broad bowls it, hits the pads but looks to be heading down leg (confirmed afterwards), bowler, keeper and 3 of 4 slips appeal. De Grandhomme does what most batters do when hit on the pads, step forward and sideways, Pope runs him out from 4th slip.
Ball 5 - Another delivery on the stumps, marginal inside edge onto the stumps.

3 in 3 and the game is back on. assuming England remember how to bat

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Blundell just went with 1 of the worst reviews you will see. He was hoping for a Hail Mary as he was on 96, but there was clearly no inside edge, and would have hit middle stump halfway up

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Fantastic tribute to Mikey and Bumbles on Fox prior to today's play ENG vs NZ. Highly recommend.
The tribute to Warnie was fantastic too. All those Poms loved him - Vaughan, Key, Hussein especially. Adored him.

Sky Sports do cricket really well. Always intelligent conversations between Atherton, Hussein, Ward, and Tubby Taylor as guest here. We'll miss Mikey and Bumble though.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Blundell just went with 1 of the worst reviews you will see. He was hoping for a Hail Mary as he was on 96, but there was clearly no inside edge, and would have hit middle stump halfway up
I would have a team rule. If you get given LBW and review it and the review shows you did not nick it, you would be dropped for the next Test.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Not a fan of 20/20 but see the Sri Lankan’s scored 60 runs in last 3 overs from 6 down to win on the last ball.

Must have been an exciting last 3 overs for the locals

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Not a fan of 20/20 but see the Sri Lankan’s scored 60 runs in last 3 overs from 6 down to win on the last ball.

Must have been an exciting last 3 overs for the locals
It was.
I had actually forgotten the match was on and tuned in just in time for the last four overs to see Australia yet again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Pretty good test going on at Trent Bridge right now. Quick outfield so scoring has been high, wicket itself is bouncy forcing quicks to bowl fully to bring the stumps into play, which encourages the drive and testing of the outfield. The wicket is ok, probably seems more of a road due to the high scores, but 7 catches went down across the 2 first innings so could have kept the scoring down a lot had they been taken.

I still do not have any idea what the coaches see in Jack Leach. 1st innings was never going to be good, so I won't comment on that, but towards the end of Englands 1st innings, you could see the ball was turning, yet Leach doesn't get much turn out of the wicket, his only wicket was due to a mis hit flick from Conway and he's running at 3.9 runs per over (way ahead of the 3rd innings average of 3.24.

I just don't understand what we get from Leach that we wouldn't get from just blooding a younger player. Parkinson and Bess are probably the 2 young ones that should be given a crack in the England team, its hardly like we are trying to eek out as much as we can of our older spinner before he retires, he's just no good.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Pretty good test going on at Trent Bridge right now. Quick outfield so scoring has been high, wicket itself is bouncy forcing quicks to bowl fully to bring the stumps into play, which encourages the drive and testing of the outfield. The wicket is ok, probably seems more of a road due to the high scores, but 7 catches went down across the 2 first innings so could have kept the scoring down a lot had they been taken.

I still do not have any idea what the coaches see in Jack Leach. 1st innings was never going to be good, so I won't comment on that, but towards the end of Englands 1st innings, you could see the ball was turning, yet Leach doesn't get much turn out of the wicket, his only wicket was due to a mis hit flick from Conway and he's running at 3.9 runs per over (way ahead of the 3rd innings average of 3.24.

I just don't understand what we get from Leach that we wouldn't get from just blooding a younger player. Parkinson and Bess are probably the 2 young ones that should be given a crack in the England team, its hardly like we are trying to eek out as much as we can of our older spinner before he retires, he's just no good.
Reckon Root is a better option than Leach.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Reckon Root is a better option than Leach.

Same here. Root is an under rated spinner IMO. Leach is just wasting a spot in the team. We play Pakistan in December, if we take Leach there, he will be smashed all over the place too.
Leachs stats don't look too bad, but he almost always chucks at least 1 bad ball down per over (meaning he can't suffocate from 1 end) and a lot of his wickets seem to come from batters taking him on rather than him spinning them out.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
What a terrific end to the test at Trent Bridge last night. England set 299 to win in 73 overs, the "old England" under Silverwood / Root probably wouldn't have gone for it, like they didn't last year against NZ and were probably 2nd guessing themselves at 4-93. Got to tea with 160 needed from 38 overs in the final session, so it was a coin flip at that point.

NZ came out and decided they were going to try and bounce Bairstow out. I think England had that discussion with Stokes, Baz and Bairstow that they would go for it, and Bairstow went into beast mode after tea. He was on 40 odd before tea at around a s/r of 80. He finished with 136 from 92. The first 9 overs went for over 100 runs, at one point they were running at nearly 15 an over. It was an immense period of hard hitting.

Kudos to the new England, this could have ended in a dour draw that was met with some low run scoring on the final day, particularly when 4 down, but it shows the mindset change that Baz has brought to the group IMO.

Reactions: 1 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
What a terrific end to the test at Trent Bridge last night. England set 299 to win in 73 overs, the "old England" under Silverwood / Root probably wouldn't have gone for it, like they didn't last year against NZ and were probably 2nd guessing themselves at 4-93. Got to tea with 160 needed from 38 overs in the final session, so it was a coin flip at that point.

NZ came out and decided they were going to try and bounce Bairstow out. I think England had that discussion with Stokes, Baz and Bairstow that they would go for it, and Bairstow went into beast mode after tea. He was on 40 odd before tea at around a s/r of 80. He finished with 136 from 92. The first 9 overs went for over 100 runs, at one point they were running at nearly 15 an over. It was an immense period of hard hitting.

Kudos to the new England, this could have ended in a dour draw that was met with some low run scoring on the final day, particularly when 4 down, but it shows the mindset change that Baz has brought to the group IMO.
Didn't see any of it, but chekced the scores this morning. Helped the Kiwi's were a bowler down, and still massive holes at the top of the order though.
Good test match overall.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Didn't see any of it, but chekced the scores this morning. Helped the Kiwi's were a bowler down, and still massive holes at the top of the order though.
Good test match overall.

For sure. Jamieson being downed helped and England definitely still have issues, we will keep with Crawley I suspect for the final test.

Lost of dropped catches in this test, I think around 11-12 between both teams that helped the 1st innings scores to be so big.

BTW if NZ played more test matches, Trent Boult would be spoken about in the same way as James Anderson. He's an exceptional bowler.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Cricket quietly stepped into a new era today. England are currently involved in a Test series v New Zealand yet today they also play an official "full strength" ODI with a completely different team in a different country. Who you may ask? The might of ... the Netherlands.
And despite collapsing to 1/1 and then a first ball blob from captain Eoin Morgan, the poms racked up a small matter of 4/498.
I kid you not.