Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
England may have found a batsman. Problem being he was picked as a fast bowler.
He's a pretty good bowler, too.

Sky coverage again impressive. Pre-play masterclass from Kumar Sangakkara on how to play swing bowling. Looks like he could still play today. Smart bloke, gave a great explanation of technique.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
He's a pretty good bowler, too.

Sky coverage again impressive. Pre-play masterclass from Kumar Sangakkara on how to play swing bowling. Looks like he could still play today. Smart bloke, gave a great explanation of technique.
How good is the English coverage? It’s been a riveting series so far, great viewing.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Enjoying watching England in a series..............................its been a long time haha.

I had a thought watching the game last night though, there are a lot of batsmen that are left handed right, maybe close to 50/50, it could be 55/45 more right handers but fairly even. Anyone have any reasoning why we don't see something similar with bowlers? Particularly fast bowlers. There seems it be a massive over representation of right handed quicks compared to lefties, is it easier to bowl right handed vs left handed?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Enjoying watching England in a series..............................its been a long time haha.

I had a thought watching the game last night though, there are a lot of batsmen that are left handed right, maybe close to 50/50, it could be 55/45 more right handers but fairly even. Anyone have any reasoning why we don't see something similar with bowlers? Particularly fast bowlers. There seems it be a massive over representation of right handed quicks compared to lefties, is it easier to bowl right handed vs left handed?
Batting is two-handed and it's inaccurate to describe them as left or right-handed just based on their stance. Plenty of left-handed batsmen are actually right-handers, like Lara, Hayden, Warner, Taylor off the top of my head. Michael Clarke the opposite. Some argue it's more accurate to call them top-handed or bottom-handed but I reckon back-handed or fore-handed as in tennis is the most accurate. I taught a German guy how to bat once. "Right-handed" he couldn't hit the ball. I said, do you play tennis? Yes. Right-handed? Yes. Double-handed backhand? Yes. Do that. 1000% improvement immediately.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Blundell & Mitchell to the rescue again? Reckon the Kiwis need a lead of 300 plus to have any chance

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne

Its been good cricket for the most part.

Still massive holes at the top of the order for the Poms.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The Poms do have holes at the top. Crawley is not a Test opener's arse.hole. But Lees might be. Pope has a lot of talent. Bairstow is reborn. Root and Stokes are world class. Leach suddenly looks a Test spinner. Unfortunately for them Broad and Anderson are still their two best bowlers, although they look like playing forever.

They are playing bold cricket. Good on them. We will have to lift to beat them over there.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
The Poms do have holes at the top. Crawley is not a Test opener's arse.hole. But Lees might be. Pope has a lot of talent. Bairstow is reborn. Root and Stokes are world class. Leach suddenly looks a Test spinner. Unfortunately for them Broad and Anderson are still their two best bowlers, although they look like playing forever.

They are playing bold cricket. Good on them. We will have to lift to beat them over there.
Have always admired McCullum. And Stokes is a star. The below commentary sounds a lot like the Tigers philosophical change in 2017

It is England's first series victory since winning in Sri Lanka early in 2021 and followed a run in which they had won one and lost 11 of 17 Tests.
The transformation under new coach Brendon McCullum and new captain Ben Stokes sets England up nicely for the final Test of last year's uncompleted series against India. That begins on Friday (1 July) with England 2-1 down.
"It has gone really well," said Stokes. "To walk away with a 3-0 series win against the best team in the world is a pretty special start. It's a huge testament to the team.
"When I took over it was about more than results – it was about changing the mindset of the lads towards Test cricket, having fun, enjoying representing your country. Then the results will look after themselves.
"To have done it so quickly is unbelievable."
McCullum said: "I think it is a pretty simple game. Sometimes we can get caught up in the fear of failure and maybe try to protect something rather than actually enjoying the opportunity you've got to represent your country."
Former captain Root, who made 396 runs at 99 in the series, said: "It's such fun to play in and be part of. If you can't enjoy a series like this then what do you play for?"

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It's gives me a lot of joy that staid old, boring old, we know it all England cricket's most recent successes have come with Trevor Bayliss and now Brendon McCullum as their coach.

Apologies mrposhman:)

Last edited:

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Day 1 of test 1 in the Australia v Sri Lanka series where they are playing for the prestigious Moose Clothing Cup!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Sri Lanka won the toss and batted.
Lyon on after 5 overs, is getting spin and bounce, he just hit Carey in the grill, 0-17

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Swepson with 2 magnificent deliveries for wickets. Drift and spin on a perfect length.

Lyon again bowling way too straight on a spinning wicket with a leg side field and getting picked apart. Its spinning a mile and he cannot get the ball in the right area often enough. Serioulsy underwhelming.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
And just as I write that Lyon gets a wicket - terrible shot to a poor ball to be caught at leg slip.