Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Headline misleading to me. But click bait is what it is.

Yep clickbait. He said he would eventually want to coach again once he's had a big break. Ridiculous "backflip" is exactly the kind of misleading, gutter journalism designed specifically for clicks (some of the assclowns get paid more for more eyeballs) that has "sports journalists" down there with politicians and Sydney real estate agents as the scum of the earth.

What a non-story (everyone assumed Dimma at 51 would coach again derr) from a non-entity. Annoyed I clicked on it and added to their validation of misinformation. Don't click on it, there's nothing in there you didn't already know and it just encourages their garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
That was a good listen. Most revealing is what @Tigers of Old mentioned. He started finding had to deal with the players retirements and went as far as saying the Castagna retirement hit him the hardest. Also felt that he didn't do enough to support George outside the 4 walls as he felt social media got to George in the end and stopped making the game fun.

• Sad
Reactions: 13 users
Hardwick is the luckiest coach in football, and I suspect he knows it more than the supporters. A great administration from the president down that stuck by him when the on-field results did not. Given space and resources to reboot himself and completely reinvent his approach to coaching. And most importantly, he watched and coached the growth and evolution of a healthy number of champions in the squad, with a 2nd tier of players that were exceptional.

Enter 3 premierships, and the never-ending accolades of a grateful supporter base and it takes a remarkable person not to get sucked in to the hype. Hardwick is not remarkable. He left almost mid-season putting the side first? You can believe it if you like but he’s been around the AFL long enough to pick up some handy survival skills.

Of course, he’s going to coach again. He likes it and the money he will receive will be substantial. But I’m focused on the side today and some pieces are falling into place nicely. Pieces that Hardwick refused to consider. His time is finished at Richmond.

Agree with some of this, but any triple premiership coach is an extreme outlier and is therefore remarkable. Yes he needed that absolute backing and support of an administration that gave him ten years to build side. Yes, he had generational talent. But still remarkable.

On the leaving mid-season as a survival skill thing, if he'd stayed and Richmond won the wooden spoon there would still be a line of clubs queuing up for his services next season. He might never win another flag and he'll still be considered one of the greatest coaches of the modern era.

Looks like emotion got the best of him especially when he said he felt down seeing some of our core players move on, retire and get married.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m only 60% through the pod but the use of pronouns is very telling to me.

As a leader I always knew anyone in my team referring to ‘them’ and ‘they’ about the area of the organisation they worked in was 100% not bought in to the company and just turning up for a pay check. I at least wanted them to feel bought in to their team.

Dimma still using we/us etc (70-80%) referring to what is going on now and occasionally slipping to them / they / Richmond (20-30%). Not ready to coach again yet IMO.

Reactions: 3 users
First time I heard Dimma let out the f's. Funny line in the last minute about Dimma telling Lids to improve on Dyl Buckley. I didn't even know this host was an AFL player.

Watch the full video podcast here. (1hr 23 mins).

Woweeee this is a huuuuuuge episode! Damien Hardwick, a 3-time premiership coach with the Tiges is one of the great coaches of the modern era. They honestly don't come much bigger than this! We covered so much in this episode, from the turning point in 2016 through to his mindset around stepping down just this year, this bloke is genuinely impressive.

Reactions: 3 users
Our ship had run his race between club and coach we needed a fresh voice and face and different ideas and instincts.

Agree with some of this, but any triple premiership coach is an extreme outlier and is therefore remarkable. Yes he needed that absolute backing and support of an administration that gave him ten years to build side. Yes, he had generational talent. But still remarkable.

On the leaving mid-season as a survival skill thing, if he'd stayed and Richmond won the wooden spoon there would still be a line of clubs queuing up for his services next season. He might never win another flag and he'll still be considered one of the greatest coaches of the modern era.
Maybe however leaving when he did didn’t tarnish his rep one bit a wooden spoon might a few %

Reactions: 1 user
Dimma is on for the whole 1 hr 23 mins?

Surely not.
They didn't speak to Prince Andrew for that long!

Dylan is on for about 30 mins - doesn’t lack for hubris.

It's fascinating how we all see things differently. I'd never taken much notice of Dylan during his playing days, however I'm enjoying his podcasts. I've watched via YouTube or listened via Spotify to quite a few of his chats (several with ex-Tiger players), and they are not interviews as such but more a casual, meandering, chat between friends. The Spotify description is:

Dylan invites interesting and notable guests to share their stories in a humorous and lighthearted chat, with plenty of banter mixed in as well. It’s like a hug from an old mate, it’s incredibly warm, positive, and comforting. He touches on career and life highs and lows, taps into mindset and psyche and ultimately uncovers what makes his guests happy and successful. You don’t need to know the guests before listening, Dyl will have you thinking they’re your best mates when the 60 or so minutes is up. *Description provided by Dylan Buckley's mum.

It was good to watch the YouTube version to actually see how relaxed Dimma is looking now the pressure valve has been released, although I did laugh at him coding his golf swing to see where he was going wrong! Who knows where or when he'll be ready to coach again, be it 2024 or 2025 but he will be back in some capacity.

Reactions: 2 users
Have a feel Damian knows where he is going to be next year , in fact I think he may have known for a few months

• Wow
It's fascinating how we all see things differently. I'd never taken much notice of Dylan during his playing days, however I'm enjoying his podcasts. I've watched via YouTube or listened via Spotify to quite a few of his chats (several with ex-Tiger players), and they are not interviews as such but more a casual, meandering, chat between friends. The Spotify description is:
All good. Personally one of the worst interviewers I have ever listened to cutting off guests to talk about himself and not always building on what they talk about . I’ve been more Interested in his guests.

I reckon he will get a lot better if he is open to feedback - he is very young and probably never been in a leadership role where you need to learn listening skills. He has certainly done a good job getting a variety of people in to talk to.

He does a good job with creating a fairly relaxed environment.

Reactions: 1 users
All good. Personally one of the worst interviewers I have ever listened to cutting off guests to talk about himself and not always building on what they talk about . I’ve been more Interested in his guests.

I reckon he will get a lot better if he is open to feedback - he is very young and probably never been in a leadership role where you need to learn listening skills. He has certainly done a good job getting a variety of people in to talk to.

He does a good job with creating a fairly relaxed environment.
I’m pretty selective with podcasts most are overrated boloney , I enjoy his , has real candour , easy to say , harder to do , curious who you do rate in podcasts

I just love how Dimma gave his 'exclusive' interview to an independent podcast. A big FU to the commercial press. It's no coincidence.

Frodos podcast was independent,

But i think now its on AFL.com with pepperjack wine everywhere,

Its pretty dependent.

He gets a high calibre of guest and crafts good yarns though