Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Yeah, but that's been when Hardwick was in charge.

Yze's never lost to the GC.

And Hardwick's never lost to Richmond.

Clean slate.

Plus the saying isn't 'He who may or may not be laughing at the end gets to laugh now, and they who laugh now shouldn't because one day they might not'.

It's a bit of a mouthful.
You've got me gobsmacked, Coburg!

Pretty small coaching group. Don't tell me they've spent all their cookies on Dimma and not much left for coaching depth?
butters stotch money GIF by South Park

The pressure is far more on Hardwick than Yze in round zero.
The GC hierarchy have publicly stated their high expectations for his team. Dimma has added to that with his analysis of the talent on their list.
He isn't rebuilding this time. He's been recruited as a supercoach. Big difference.
A couple of practice game losses is far too early to make any judgment but safe to say I'm sure it wasn't the results they were after (to use a Dimmarism).
Finals are a prerequisite for the northern franchi$e & whilst he gets paid regardless, the pressure is on.

Alternatively Yze has come into a team that's already tasted success & our supporters will or should give him time.
Rightly as he looks to reshape our gameplan & list.
They're in very different situations.
I'm not giving Yze 5mins.
He starts getting McCrae & Kingsley results or he will get pressure.
Where not shiit.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
The pressure is far more on Hardwick than Yze in round zero.
The GC hierarchy have publicly stated their high expectations for his team. Dimma has added to that with his analysis of the talent on their list.
He isn't rebuilding this time. He's been recruited as a supercoach. Big difference.
A couple of practice game losses is far too early to make any judgment but safe to say I'm sure it wasn't the results they were after (to use a Dimmarism).
Finals are a prerequisite for the northern franchi$e & whilst he gets paid regardless, the pressure is on.

Alternatively Yze has come into a team that's already tasted success & our supporters will or should give him time.
Rightly as he looks to reshape our gameplan & list.
They're in very different situations.
We’re also not turning our game plan inside out like GC

I am 100% sure that he is “Looking forward to the challenge”.

I’m going to miss him “looking forward to the challenge” each and every week. Sigh.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I am 100% sure that he is “Looking forward to the challenge”.

I’m going to miss him “looking forward to the challenge” each and every week. Sigh.
I’m going to miss “the fact of the matter.”

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Tuned in for the first 360 tonight to see Dimma.
Got to be honest he's starting to sound a bit like a cliche ridden cartoon character.
After over a decade of watching him at the Tiges, that message is starting to feel really stale.
I'm sure many of the Suns players haven't been exposed to his coaching before but in a way they have.
They'll have watched the Amazon docos, they'll have seen his pressers, they'll have seen him on various footy shows..
Yes there is a relatively different Damien Hardwick behind the scenes but I can't help but wonder if GC have really pulled the wrong reign here.
Don't forget he'd felt burned out. If it goes bad quickly that is a very long, large contract..
Anyways time will ultimately tell. It's their problem now.

Yes there is a relatively different Damien Hardwick behind the scenes but I can't help but wonder if GC have really pulled the wrong reign here.

Time will tell I guess, but I think there are more intangibles to this appointment than you would see in most Senior coaching appointments.

So while winning/success is critical, and that is by no means guaranteed with Dimma, he no doubt represents the most complete coaching option available to them.

For example, look at the list of Senior Coaches GC have had in their history

Guy McKenna
Rodney Eade
Dean Solomon
Stuart Dew
Steven King

Solomon and King obviously only stand-ins.

None of these guys really strike you as being upper echelon profile wise. A really high profile coach is one thing they haven't had.

Now Dimma trots in with 3 flags in 4 years at a massive sleeping giant of a club that had been dormant for years. For everything people have said about Dimma, the history books cannot deny the success he enjoyed with Richmond.

He is personable, approachable and media savy. If the GC do start winning and play finals, he is the best coach out there to translate that into mass appeal in the GC market.

Reactions: 4 users
Time will tell I guess, but I think there are more intangibles to this appointment than you would see in most Senior coaching appointments.

So while winning/success is critical, and that is by no means guaranteed with Dimma, he no doubt represents the most complete coaching option available to them.

Guy McKenna
Rodney Eade
Dean Solomon
Stuart Dew
Steven King

None of these guys really strike you as being upper echelon profile wise. A really high profile coach is one thing they haven't had.

Now Dimma trots in with 3 flags in 4 years at a massive sleeping giant of a club that had been dormant for years. For everything people have said about Dimma, the history books cannot deny the success he enjoyed with Richmond.

He is personable, approachable and media savy. If the GC do start winning and play finals, he is the best coach out there to translate that into mass appeal in the GC market.
Rodney Eade not upper echelon? I reckon they should've stuck with him. 3 years isn't enough for a non-Aussie rules club to build a foundation and then succeed.

Reactions: 1 user

Guy McKenna
Rodney Eade
Dean Solomon
Stuart Dew
Steven King

Yep ultimately time will tell. Don't discount though that all of Dimma's success came as a first time coach. The Messiah complex has rarely worked in the history of VFL/AFL.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep ultimately time will tell. Don't discount though that all of Dimma's success came as a first time coach. The Messiah complex has rarely worked in the history of VFL/AFL.
Malthouse @ Carlton
Pagan @ Carlton
Thompson @ Essendon
Walls @ Brisbane
Rawlings @ Richmond

Tuned in for the first 360 tonight to see Dimma.
Got to be honest he's starting to sound a bit like a cliche ridden cartoon character.
After over a decade of watching him at the Tiges, that message is starting to feel really stale.
I'm sure many of the Suns players haven't been exposed to his coaching before but in a way they have.
They'll have watched the Amazon docos, they'll have seen his pressers, they'll have seen him on various footy shows..
Don't forget he'd felt burned out. If it goes bad quickly that is a very long, large contract..
Anyways time will ultimately tell. It's their problem now.
I wonder if there could be a bit of Malcolm Blight to it. Dragged out of retirement with the big bucks.

Will be interesting to see how he goes. Coaches need to reinvent and change themselves regularily to stay on top of things.

If all Dimma does is bring the same stuff he had at Richmond he might struggle.

Differant team , differant support structures around him. No Benny , No Peggy , No Balmy makes it a completely differant proposition

Reactions: 1 users
as long as we beat them on the weekend I don't care

• Love
I still think they got it all wrong with we want success now approach. for me the better approach would be a 3 year window to turn the club into a finals winning team...pressure off everyone. I cant see this ending well.

Reactions: 5 users
Easy to focus on his failings but he was a great coach for us and he is now taking on a group of extremely promising youngsters with apparently more on offer in the immediate future.

Reactions: 2 users