Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

I still think they got it all wrong with we want success now approach. for me the better approach would be a 3 year window to turn the club into a finals winning team...pressure off everyone.

I think that is what they are looking at here.

Hardwick actually buys them that time. People see a successful coach in the role, and if things don’t improve immediately, then it is more down to the need for development as opposed to poor coaching.

Let me be clear, I am not saying this will work out for GC. I have my doubts.

My point is that they have appointed the best senior coach for their situation. They need a high profile coach who is good at everything the job involves. That is Hardwick.

Reactions: 1 users
Rodney Eade not upper echelon? I reckon they should've stuck with him. 3 years isn't enough for a non-Aussie rules club to build a foundation and then succeed.

True TF, but this is my point.

They should have stuck with Eade. The guy can coach. I personally think he is a better coach, tactically, than Dimma.

But when the pressure came on from outside the club, they simply were not strong enough to stand it. Part of that can be attributed to Eade’s profile as a coach.

If Eade was spoken in the same breath as Clarkson, they couldn’t have sacked him if they wanted to after 3 years.

Dimma and Clarkson, I believe, are over rated simply because they achieved success. They were a large part of the success they achieved, but their messiah status doesn’t hold true for me.

They need a high profile coach who is good at everything the job involves. That is Hardwick.

he has a couple of weakness he can control IMO

1. PR with The AFL,
2. Reacting from the coaches box (can also be a strength)

and a couple he can't control

1. The cultural vacuum of the GC,
2. Administrative unity

The other question mark, which applies to most old master coaches,

is do they have a 2nd trick?

His first trick was a doozy;
Humanity, Chaos and Dustin Martin :sleeping

and im forever grateful he conjured it.

but he wont have success at GC with that trick IMO.

Reactions: 3 users
Hardwick's had a look at his new toys by now. That's why he's so bullish about the future.

Wait until you see Jed Walter. Jake Rogers walks into that side. Will Graham looks a future star to me if his BWA holds up. Ethan Read can be anything (except possibly a ruckman). And Leonardo Lombard arrives next year as well as a few more first rounders.

He will trade one player out once he sees onfield needs and deeds. A big name. More currency.

Dogwick did very much the wrong thing by walking out on RFC in season and so early in his contract. It hurt us very badly. We had to recruit a coach as an emergency rather than plan. And had Dogwick done the right thing and resigned at the end of 2022 there's a good chance we'd have reigning coach of the year Kent Kinglsey at the helm.

Dogwick shafted RFC in an unprecedented way. Because he had an emotion. That won't just go away. The ill effects of that linger. And that's why he's known throughout all the galaxies as Doggy McSmilenDogwick.

I wish him all the ill in the world at football. But the best I can hope for is continued umpire harrassment on the ground and in the streets a plague of marginal parking fines.

Smile you, Smiley McDogwick, you narssy smilen traitor. A marginal parking fine melt a day for you for all eternity. See a new one there every day on your windscreen, curling in the breeze. Stare agog at the marginal ruling. Throw yourself on the ground. Beat your white fists into the Broadbeach asphalt, raise your head in despair at your all-seeing Lord and damn His eyes. "But the wheel is only a bit over the line, Lord! You're just like the umpires!"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users
I wonder if there could be a bit of Malcolm Blight to it. Dragged out of retirement with the big bucks.

Will be interesting to see how he goes. Coaches need to reinvent and change themselves regularily to stay on top of things.

If all Dimma does is bring the same stuff he had at Richmond he might struggle.

Differant team , differant support structures around him. No Benny , No Peggy , No Balmy makes it a completely differant proposition
And Robert Walls - he was done.
As was Allan Jeans.
And so Clarko may be

Hardwick's had a look at his new toys by now. That's why he's so bullish about the future.

Wait until you see Jed Walter. Jake Rogers walks into that side. Will Graham looks a future star to me if his BWA holds up. Ethan Read can be anything (except possibly a ruckman). And Leonardo Lombard arrives next year as well as a few more first rounders.

He will trade one player out once he sees onfield needs and deeds. A big name. More currency.

Dogwick did very much the wrong thing by walking out on RFC in season and so early in his contract. It hurt us very badly. We had to recruit a coach as an emergency rather than plan. And had Dogwick done the right thing and resigned at the end of 2022 there's a good chance we'd have reigning coach of the year Kent Kinglsey at the helm.

Dogwick shafted RFC in an unprecedented way. Because he had an emotion. That won't just go away. The ill effects of that linger. And that's why he's known throughout all the galaxies as Doggy McSmilenDogwick.

I wish him all the ill in the world at football. But the best I can hope for is continued umpire harrassment on the ground and in the streets a plague of marginal parking fines.

Smile you, Smiley McDogwick, you narssy smilen traitor. A marginal parking fine melt a day for you for all eternity. See a new one there every day on your windscreen, curling in the breeze. Stare agog at the marginal ruling. Throw yourself on the ground. Beat your white fists into the Broadbeach asphalt, raise your head in despair at your all-seeing Lord and damn His eyes. "But the wheel is only a bit over the line, Lord! You're just like the umpires!"

One of Hardwick's greatest strengths is being able to limit the effectiveness of a talented list.

I reckon he can do it at the GC too.

No Balmey, McCrae, Caracella, Leppitsch, Benny or Peggy to question and improve him, or to remind him to ease off the handbrake.

No Emma Murray to help embed the message. No Riewoldt, Martin or Cotchin.

Reactions: 2 users
One of Hardwick's greatest strengths is being able to limit the effectiveness of a talented list.

I reckon he can do it at the GC too.

No Balmey, McCrae, Caracella, Leppitsch, Benny or Peggy to question and improve him, or to remind him to ease off the handbrake.

No Emma Murray to help embed the message. No Riewoldt, Martin or Cotchin.
We’ll see how that works out, Ct.

I think his finished as a coach just as Clarkson yeah he's got the talent , but Dimma has never been great at developing that either.

The Hardwick's triple Premiership journey at Richmond was a joy to behold until it tailed off.
He was fully invested in our group. He's said it many times before they were like his children. He even said they were the love of his life and with hindsight that was true.
100% authentic & the players responded to his passion.

That is not easy to replicate. Especially at a pla$tic AFL franchise. Others come along but nobody gets over their first true love.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Grigg
Miller
The Stats guy:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
And Angry Dimma

Does he still think McPherson is the next Lambert??View attachment 21922
How Darcy Mc has remained on anyone’s list for 8 years is unbelievable
Great kid
But can’t play
Dimma will be in for a world of pain if he thinks he has 80 % of a premiership team already there
Try 20 %
Mathematics not Dimma’s strength it seems

Reactions: 1 user
He's said it many times before they were like his children. He even said they were the love of his life and with hindsight that was true.
Admittedly he told his wife the same thing at the alter.
That obviously wasn’t true either

Last edited:
A lot writing Dimma off.

Leysy certainly aint. The GC gig is not without different challenges - but he's a fantastic people manager, has an aura and is tactically underrated.

He won't lose those qualities.

Reckon he'll succeed.

Reactions: 8 users
A lot writing Dimma off.

Leysy certainly aint. The GC gig is not without different challenges - but he's a fantastic people manager, has an aura and is tactically underrated.

He won't lose those qualities.

Reckon he'll succeed.
To me it depends on definition of success. If it is defined as making finals and maybe winning a final or two in the next 3 years I reckon he has a decent shot. Especially if the Walter kid and the other 2023 draftees are as good as the hype.

The Giants are closer, there is a steel and backbone to them now that they have never had before. The Suns don't have it yet

Reactions: 2 users
You'd be mad to write him off. He's been a great coach. Broke a 37 year premiership drought & won 3.
But if he wins a flag on the gold coast he'll be a lot greater. Few coaches have won Premierships at two clubs.

Last edited:
Rodney Eade not upper echelon? I reckon they should've stuck with him. 3 years isn't enough for a non-Aussie rules club to build a foundation and then succeed.
Titans have been going nigh on 20 years anow in the NRL and they've had no success either.

The culture aint there and most chose to spend their time off doing other things.

Last edited:
You'd be mad to write him off. He's been a great coach. Broke a 37 year premiership drought & won 3.
But if he wins a flag on the gold coast he'll be a lot greater. Few coaches have won Premierships at two clubs.
And he won’t be the next , his game plan was frayed at the edges in recent years and had few answers , we were either too loose (high scoring ) or too tight ( low scoring in ‘23)