Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Forget about the affair. Forget about assistant coaches. Forget about Hardwick himself.

Our decline since GF 2020 is about rules that promote cheating goals through team defence.

666 and stand have killed our run.

We might make finals but teams who can apply pressure AND boss the center clearances for momentum goals like Melbourne will reign supreme.
Bang on.

Reactions: 1 user
That's true of Leppitsch and McCrae who left at the end of 2020 but Caracella left at the end of 2019.

looking at Essington it seems that Caracella has not been able to replicate what he did with us in terms of midfield spread and movement. He is hamstrung by Dododoh's recruiting though TBF

• Haha
Forget about the affair. Forget about assistant coaches. Forget about Hardwick himself.

Our decline since GF 2020 is about rules that promote cheating goals through team defence.

We might make finals but teams who can apply pressure AND boss the center clearances for momentum goals like Melbourne will reign supreme.
Both those rules were setbacks to our preferred style but the reality is the most talented teams should still prevail.

• Dislike
The doofus from Carlton. WTF
Are we taking the *smile*?
Be so bad at your job and get the ass but end up General manager at BHP.
Ummmm. Leppa was a *smile* senior coach at Brisvegas, yet a triple premiership assistant coach with us. Whatsisface the Doofus from Carlscum might yet end up a successful assistant coach one day.

• Haha

We don't win clearances, so start each passage of play on the back foot.
We don't flick the ball outside to utilise our non exsistent precision skills, we try to force through congestion with chaos n mayhem.
We no longer control the elite pressure factor of previous years.
We've been worked out and improved upon and our response to this on field has been a *smile*, petulant attitude that's getting worse.

Reactions: 2 users
We don't flick the ball outside to utilise our non exsistent precision skills, we try to force through congestion with chaos n mayhem.
We've been worked out and improved upon and our response to this on field has been a *smile*, petulant attitude that's getting worse.
We are still acting like hero's but our football has gone backwards.
Fox or Footyshitified showed that we have won 2 drawn 1 lost 7 or 8 since the bye 2021.
That's bottom 4 form.

Reactions: 1 users
Ummmm. Leppa was a *smile* senior coach at Brisvegas, yet a triple premiership assistant coach with us. Whatsisface the Doofus from Carlscum might yet end up a successful assistant coach one day.
Our backline was set, you wouldve been able to coach Astbury Grimes Houli Broad BiGV and Rance
That's a top class backline.

Don't always agree with you TM, but with you all the way on this.

We've been worked out and improved upon
This for me is the most succinct and accurate diagnosis of where the Tiger are at.

And a cohort of champions past their prime which will be finished before we have the right balance of talented kids that can have a sustained influence on a season.

This is why 2018 will always hurt so much.

this is part of the reason I'm confused as to why last year when we were clearly below par with injury and form that we didn't play more of the kids. it's like there was a weird 'if we make finals we're a chance' mentality within the club, but i don't think we were anywhere near it. playing the kids may have introduced new energy and to maybe try new systems. this is where i think our dimensions are limited.

We herd this was the best preseason and we worked on so much new things going by Rd 1 we looked like 2021 team , but let's give them to Rd 6 before accessing.

Ultimately we've had an exceptional core group of talented players for a decade that are aging.
Dimma is only as good as the players at his disposal. He's said as much himself.
There will come a time in the not too distant future where our 3 time Premiership coach moves on too.

This for me is the most succinct and accurate diagnosis of where the Tiger are at.

And a cohort of champions past their prime which will be finished before we have the right balance of talented kids that can have a sustained influence on a season.

This is why 2018 will always hurt so much.
2019 & 2020 made up for 18.

this is part of the reason I'm confused as to why last year when we were clearly below par with injury and form that we didn't play more of the kids. it's like there was a weird 'if we make finals we're a chance' mentality within the club, but i don't think we were anywhere near it. playing the kids may have introduced new energy and to maybe try new systems. this is where i think our dimensions are limited.
He did play kids.
Sampson against Melbourne didn't touch it.
Collier dawkins played against Collingwood but left at half time.
Dow got games
Ralphsmith got games
Are our kids any good? should be the question?

Yes. Teague became senior coach at Carlscum because he was a highly rated and successful assistant. As was Leppa before he went to Brisbane and some others.
Just because Teague was not a success as a senior coach doesn’t mean that he has suddenly lost his ability to be a successful assistant.

Reactions: 4 users
2019 & 2020 made up for 18.
The most devo I have ever been at a game of footy was halftime of the 2018 prelim and halfway through the last qtr of the 2013 elimination final.

What made it worse was that one was against Lollingwood and the other Carlscum

Last edited:
Yes. Teague became senior coach at Carlscum because he was a highly rated and successful assistant. As was Leppa before he went to Brisbane and some others.
Just because Teague was not a success as a senior coach doesn’t mean that he has suddenly lost his ability to be a successful assistant.
Promoting people until they reach their level of incompetence happens in all industries. It's very common.

He did play kids.
Sampson against Melbourne didn't touch it.
Collier dawkins played against Collingwood but left at half time.
Dow got games
Ralphsmith got games
Are our kids any good? should be the question?
sure Zig. playing Sampson was dumb. RCD not played enough. Dow and Hugo got a couple, but pretty sure Hugo got dropped after playing a decent game? are they good enough? give them some consistency and they might become better, and that's the point i was making about last year ..

sure Zig. playing Sampson was dumb. RCD not played enough. Dow and Hugo got a couple, but pretty sure Hugo got dropped after playing a decent game? are they good enough? give them some consistency and they might become better, and that's the point i was making about last year ..
Of the youngsters n fringies at the club only Biggie n the Cummerbund didn't get senior game time. Obviously if the club had been able to get it's regular seniors onto the park and match fit, then everyone would have believed we could have been genuine contenders, unfortunately *smile* happened all year long instead.
The magoos had barely any football for two years running so it would have been extremely difficult for any of them to be able to establish themselves at senior level, especially when there were so many filling holes at the same time. It's usually one or two up n coming at a time who get plenty of coverage from the established seniors, it was often four or five at a time trying to cover n play senior roles.
Ross, Aarts, RCD, Dow, Mansell, Ryan, CCJ, Chol, Martyn, Stack, Ralphsmith, Miller all got a look at senior footy, some only one or two games n a few got a good look.
Personally I would have loved to see the Cummerbund strut his stuff for a couple of games, but I'm not sure what else the club could have done to get games into players while still trying to field a competitive side each week.