Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

I admire your commitment to effort but the French put loads of effort and resources into building the Maginot Line before WW2 so that any invading German troops would be stopped from directly invading France in the event of a war. The trouble was, that Hitler’s army, acting suspiciously like Hocking’s man in possession, simply navigated their way safely around the wall with almost no resistance, because the series of heavy fortifications that was the Maginot Line could not be moved laterally to cover an alternative line of invasion. And according to the wikipedia page I have pasted below, the Maginot Line has since become a metaphor for expensive efforts offering a false sense of security.

It is arguable a a stretch that the most constructive thing the man on the mark can do is display frustrated body lanuage to protest the stupidity of the rule.

You can no longer consistently get frontal pressure upon a player with a free kick or mark because he can simply safely navigate around it. This being the case, is it not better to focus effort on alternative fortifications, and escape plans in the event of a turnover….you know, sort of like Dunkirk?

Time spent fortifying the mind is seldom wasted.

We agree that protesting the stupidity of the rule through frustrated body language isn't constructive.

Here you're suggesting there's more efficient ways to invest our limited energy.

Are these alternative fortifications when on the mark, or do you mean from a general POV that we should conserve energy for more important moments in the match?

As for your claim that we can no longer consistently apply frontal pressure in this situation, well that is correct in that we can't consistently apply it - but that doesn't mean we can't sometimes apply frontal pressure, nor reap the benefits of the lingering psychology associated with pouncing aggressively vs slouching passively.

We do sometimes give the kicker a couple of extra seconds to make a decision due to lack of urgency on the mark after the whistle. That's a choice we've made, consciously or not.

Of course, mindfully intelligent players like Grimes will always have eyes on the kicker and ears on the whistle. He's the best one at being ready to pounce when manning the mark. What are the energy cost reasons for his teammates to consciously decide not to be as urgent when standing on the mark?

Time spent fortifying the mind is seldom wasted.

We agree that protesting the stupidity of the rule through frustrated body language isn't constructive.

Here you're suggesting there's more efficient ways to invest our limited energy.

Are these alternative fortifications when on the mark, or do you mean from a general POV that we should conserve energy for more important moments in the match?

As for your claim that we can no longer consistently apply frontal pressure in this situation, well that is correct in that we can't consistently apply it - but that doesn't mean we can't sometimes apply frontal pressure, nor reap the benefits of the lingering psychology associated with pouncing aggressively vs slouching passively.

We do sometimes give the kicker a couple of extra seconds to make a decision due to lack of urgency on the mark after the whistle. That's a choice we've made, consciously or not.

Of course, mindfully intelligent players like Grimes will always have eyes on the kicker and ears on the whistle. He's the best one at being ready to pounce when manning the mark. What are the energy cost reasons for his teammates to consciously decide not to be as urgent when standing on the mark?

You are adding 120 eyeballs out sprint efforts to each match. What benefit will they reap? Is it really worth it?

Teams are mainly deciding the cost/benefit is not worth it and instead focussing on putting more players behind the ball. Why do you think they might be doing that?

I agree there are some few occasions where the man on the mark can exert pressure and players need to be vigilant to that, but how do you know the slack body language is not due to players recognising occasions where the team doesn’t want them to try to put pressure on, perhaps because their next job is to move into a position ready to spread forward in the event of a turnover?

Not a great start for Hardwick. Got the selection of Graham all wrong and was left wanting at times in the coaches box.

Keep it simple Dimma.

Reactions: 1 user
Not a great start for Hardwick. Got the selection of Graham all wrong and was left wanting at times in the coaches box.

Keep it simple Dimma.
I'm a broken record ... it's a 'whole of coaching' issue. Something is not right deep down since last year.
And it's not the personal Dimma stuff.

It's the coaching panel/all of them as a collective and how they are working together - or in my view, not the best team of coaches and leadership.
I've made myself a promise to let this go as its doing my head in. i'd bet my house something serious is not working.
People need to be moved on at the end of 22 and restructures will happen.
No malice, collectively our coaching panel is performing poorly since early 2021.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we lost it with coaching and or at the selection table. We lost it as we couldn't get a clearance. Who are the mids that we have in reserve that would have come in and had an impact against Cripps, Kennedy, Cerra and Hewitt who had 26 clearances between them? They don't exist.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure we lost it with coaching and or at the selection table. We lost it as we couldn't get a clearance. Who are the mids that we have in reserve that would have come in and had an impact against Cripps, Kennedy, Cerra and Hewitt who had 26 clearances between them? They don't exist.
You’re right. RCD, Dow or Martyn would have made no difference. However the lack of body on body pressure at the centre bounce plus allowing Carlton a mid in space to the side because we’d placed a ‘safety’ behind our ruck created an advantage that was exploited a few times.

I dare say the game review also looks at centre clearance tactics in Q4 - they were no good. Plus not trying a Balta as a big bodied midfielder for a couple of centre bounces to break the clearance cycle.That’s the coaching elements I’d be critical of.

Reactions: 2 users
The culture and morale we had over those flag years was lightning in a bottle, hard to manufacture and easy to lose. I've always said that Hardwick's sin was not so much having the relationship but concealing it from the club, in particular Benny Gale who had to confront him over it when the rumours were going around inside the hub. That's damaging to a culture that was about being yourself and being open about your failings and vulnerabilities.

Did it make a difference, who knows, maybe a minor one - but it's a marker of a general decline. You could see the players essentially give up over the last half of last season. You see the ill-discipline costing us goals like last night. You never saw that in previous years - they had absolute belief in the system, and rock solid discipline. Dimma's been a great coach, and maybe he's still got the players, but somethings changed and it's not just the decline because of the age of the champions like Cotch and Prestia.

That bond is not so visible recently between the players the care free up beat vibe and playful behavior are not so obvious its not organic as it was.

That said success brings a happy vibe, and the club hasnrt had success for a while considering the string of losses last year.

The players had some significant relationships and bonds with Fly and Leppa too don't underestimate the personal impact of their loss.

The loss of popular club men also has a detrimental effect and Houli, and Astbury were very popular men at Tigerland.

Reactions: 4 users
Three urgent jobs for Dimma to get right if we even want to consider playing finals this year.

1 / Get a *smile* skills coach to teach our players to put the ball to a team mates advantage by both hand and foot.

2 / Three years he's been bull shitting about the players needing to get better regarding 50 metre penalties. I'll give him an instant cure for free. Any player who concedes a fifty metre penalty spends his next game playing for the magoos, regardless of who it is. Guarantee that we wouldn't give away another eight 50 metre penalties for the rest of the entire season.

Aside from in game injury issues, there's nothing more deflating for coaches, players and fans than to have peanuts continuously undoing all of the hard work n getting the ball and game rammed back down their throats by the opposition due to incompetence n bloody petulance.

3 / Find a mid fielder or two who can either get a *smile* clearance or shut down the oppo mids when they get first hands, bloody chased arse all night long.

Reactions: 6 users
Three urgent jobs for Dimma to get right if we even want to consider playing finals this year.

1 / Get a *smile* skills coach to teach our players to put the ball to a team mates advantage by both hand and foot.

2 / Three years he's been bull shitting about the players needing to get better regarding 50 metre penalties. I'll give him an instant cure for free. Any player who concedes a fifty metre penalty spends his next game playing for the magoos, regardless of who it is. Guarantee that we wouldn't give away another eight 50 metre penalties for the rest of the entire season.

Aside from in game injury issues, there's nothing more deflating for coaches, players and fans than to have peanuts continuously undoing all of the hard work n getting the ball and game rammed back down their throats by the opposition due to incompetence n bloody petulance.

3 / Find a mid fielder or two who can either get a *smile* clearance or shut down the oppo mids when they get first hands, bloody chased arse all night long.
You not a fan of the meat trays as punishment?

• Haha
And the fact it is still being discussed now as an issue shows how wrong people were who suggested it should have been off-limits to the journos.
The fact it is being discussed now is simply a handful of footy nuts on a fan forum talking about anything and everything - and drawing a pretty silly, long bow.

Reactions: 8 users
Dimma looking a little lost in the box. Really starting to wonder how much the lack of quality assistants are hurting him. Always seen Dimma as a motivator and creator of culture but not really any good tactically or on match days. Thats where in the premiership years he was surrounded by excellent intel which have all since departed. Time will tell but me thinks they need to go out and recruit the best support they can get for Dimma to cotinue to be successful.

PS. The Mrs Hardwick has nothing to do with it.

Dimma looking a little lost in the box. Really starting to wonder how much the lack of quality assistants are hurting him. Always seen Dimma as a motivator and creator of culture but not really any good tactically or on match days. Thats where in the premiership years he was surrounded by excellent intel which have all since departed. Time will tell but me thinks they need to go out and recruit the best support they can get for Dimma to cotinue to be successful.

PS. The Mrs Hardwick has nothing to do with it.\

Who do you think the media's target audience is? :ROFLMAO:
as seems a pattern with you, you are mixing the 2 concepts.